Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I wonder if it was his idea, or not. :confused:

click here

His lawyer said he didn't sue earlier because he didn't have his papers in order.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i thought there was a british version of the show first.... or was that millionaire? hmm

Simon talked about it a couple weeks ago. It was called "Pop Idol"...and he said they had better hosts (e.g., Ryan Seacrest).

mim

macrumors 6502
Pop Idol is a spin off of "Pop Stars" - where it's a "band" search rather than a "star" search. It was developed in Australia, and the various shows based on that theme must buy the licence to use the idea from the Australian production company.

Now this guy says he copyrighted the idea in 1997 (presumably only in the States...). So who knows how this will pan out. I don't know when the Australian show started, but the UK one began in late 2000 I thinks.

a

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
American Idol makes me mad. I liked it before they started kicking off the good people.

I wouldn't be suprised at all if Am. I was influenced by this dude.

astray

macrumors member
May 9, 2003
uk
Strange i thought Popstars was first in the uk, and owned by Simon Cowell and his production company and sold around the world. But really who cares, the bands that came out in the uk from the various shows were a load of crap...

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Did he copyright it? Did he file any papers at all before 2001? If not, too bad. I can sit in my living room and dream up anything, but unless I take action it means nothing more than a mental exercise.
As an avowed hater of reality shows (and most TV shoes in general, ESPECIALLY any "news" media like FoxNews and ANYTHING showing at 10pm besides the Simpsons) I actually enjoy AI. I can't explain it.
Go Clay. Go Reuben.

tazo

macrumors 68040
speaking of stealing ideas..

anyone seen that commercial for Skippy, the peanut butter people's new product, a squeezable tube of peanut butter. I had that idea. I really seriously did. I had been doing it for several months prior to it, putting peanut butter in a ziplock bag, getting it into one corner, twisting it, and cutting the tip off-the same exact thing. Augh. I wouldnt have even known where to put the idea :(

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Just because you copyright/patent an idea doesn't mean that somebody else will come up with a similar product and/or idea independently of yours without infringing on your patent/copyright.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by scem0
American Idol makes me mad. I liked it before they started kicking off the good people.

I wouldn't be suprised at all if Am. I was influenced by this dude.

the two best people (after Frenchie) are in the top 2...what more could you ask for? i got upset that frickin marineboy was on the show about 4 weeks too long, but its all good now.

mim

macrumors 6502
Originally posted by tazo
I know any answer should be construed as non-legal advice, but if I had put a patent on my idea for the squeeazable peanut butter thing, and i got it, would I like be getting money from skippy or something. :eek: :confused:

That's the idea. But I also think you have to actually try and make the thing too - you can't just come up with a load of whacky ideas and then sit on them all in the hope somebody else will come up with that idea too.

BTW, that's kinda why we've got windoze the way it is now....they basically us..<cough>...came up with a few ideas exactl...<cough> similar to thingd in Apple's UI. Apple had "copyrighted" their UI, but it wasn't enough. That's why they do the mad patent thing these days...patenting the look of the trash can and what-not.

<edit: and ofcourse, IANAL>

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Copyrights and patents are two very different things.

I can copyright an idea, but if I have never published or talked about it and someone comes up with a similar idea, the case for theft is very weak. If it is not theft or plagiarism, you basically have no case.

Copyrights are not searchable and do not require the searches that obtaining a patent does.

Besides, why did he wait until the SECOND SEASON! If this were true, I would have been all over this right away!

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Isn't this the second year of American Idol? Where was he right after the first show?

I don't like the show, and I have never watched more than a few minutes, but I certainly heard about it and knew the concept after it was on the air for a few months....

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Whether or not the Aussies came up with Pop Idol or whaever they called it first it was on in the UK before the US. Now we can't move for reality TV crap. We've got Big Brother, Survivior (which was a bit of a flop over here), Fame Academy, Pop Idol, Pop Stars, Pop this and pop that :rolleyes: We've also just had the second run of 'I'm a Celebrity get me out of Here' where a bunch of B-list celebs are stuck into a sanitised 'jungle' (Actually it's in Queensland, Australia and real near a hotel!) and they have to do stupid trials and stuff and then get gradually voted down to a winner. It'd be better named 'I'm a nobody, who gives a toss?'

I REALLY HATE reality TV :mad:

mim

macrumors 6502
Originally posted by caveman_uk
I REALLY HATE reality TV :mad:

Exactly.

What's the facination with boring people's lives these days? If I want reality I'll watch the news, thanks. I like entertainment that actually - maybe - explores a few emotions that I don't get in daily life.

a

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.