Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

defz

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2007
Dante, I read back through the old posts and saw that you said several times "for Video go with the Dell".

I'm doing indie video production, and am getting ready to buy a monitor. Technically wouldn't I want the best color representation that the S-IPS panel offers? I'm not seeing from the specs why I would want the Dell. If anyone can clear that up, it'd be much appreciated.

MajorTom

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2004
Glasgow
UK Apple Display Prices

The UK Apple Store has been updated to include the new lower prices for the Cinema Displays:

20" £529 - £399 (-£130)
23" £779 - £599 (-£180)
30" £1549 - £1199 (-£350)

:)

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
someday I'll be putting a 30" next to my 24" that will be flipped into portrait mode. However I don't foresee myself getting an Apple. Simply not enough bang for the buck. But when the Dell 30” drops below 1K. . . .I’m so there.

GanleyBurger

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
sounds like...

Blowout!!!

Where's the built-in eyesight?

Octo as an option... and no new designs...

Weird Wednesday!!!:eek:

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006

alansky

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2007
Marin County, CA
Get yer french fries here!

It's obvious that some readers do not appreciate the difference in quality between the Apple Cinema Display and the Dell what's-its-face, but that's ok. Some folks think Chevys are "just as good" as BMW's because they're the same size and have just as much horsepower. They might even think Chevys are better than BMW's because they cost less money! Anyone who thinks buying a color monitor is like buying a sack of potatoes should by all means buy a Dell. You'll love it! :cool:

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
WTF a bogus buyer's guide. hmm.. losing faith in the objectivity of that guide after seeing this..
All "buy now!" means is that if you were going to buy that product, there's no reason to wait for an update/price drop because it just happened. It's not saying "buy a Cinema Display and not a Dell!"

Where exactly is the objectivity problem?

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Dante, I read back through the old posts and saw that you said several times "for Video go with the Dell".

I'm doing indie video production, and am getting ready to buy a monitor. Technically wouldn't I want the best color representation that the S-IPS panel offers? I'm not seeing from the specs why I would want the Dell. If anyone can clear that up, it'd be much appreciated.

The Dell 30 inch, and some 24's are the S-IPS panel.

When I said go with the Dell for Video, I was basically trying to send a "peace-offering" to so many on these posts who love the Dell's. And they do offer benefits -- the multiple inputs, for example are very useful. The gamut for broadcast is spectacular. They can swivel and mechanically adjust better than the APPLE.

MY OWN PREFERENCE is that I would still go with the ACD as I am a big fan of out of the box colorsync. I use it for not only Print Work but also for Flash, Flash Video, Web Production, etc. I justed ripped a whole bunch of print images down to a website and Flash Photo Multimedia Trailer -- I like knowing exactly how a tagged image should look via colorsync and I embed these profiles in ALL my images, even web images from Photoshop via "save for web" and also in my Final Cut Express video.

You can still do this with the Dell -- buy a $250 profiler and profile your Dell and build a Colorsync Software profile.

But for out of the box performance, the Apple wins. Some will say that the Apple color degrades and/or changes over time and that profiling is necessary anyway -- BUT -- I am suspicious of these claims and wonder how many years it takes for these changes to occur. It used to be every few months BUT again, this is old data -- newer monitors are a great deal more stable. I have talked with many a color engineer about this.

As I get more data I will post.

Bottom line, for Video, the Dells are a very solid choice -- so is the new HP, and the Apple is pretty darn good as well -- slightly less gamut, inputs, and mechanical adjustment but out of the box color profile.

Good luck. Let us know what you go with and how you like it.

Dante

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Bingo

The NTSC gamut spec is rather useless when shopping for a computer monitor considering that computers don't operate in the NTSC color gamut. That figure would be great for a monitor to be used as a *video* preview monitor, but even then, the pro is going to opt for a broadcast monitor from Sony.

I have a 30" ACD and it rocks. And the exacting color you get when paired with a Apple machine is what completes the puzzle. I want my computer monitor to display exactly what my GPU thinks it is sending; very hard to do when you have a monitor with *tint* *color* *brightness* *contrast*, etc etc, one little bump of those controls and the calibration is wanked.

-mark

Bingo -- You've Got it Exactly -- it is so good to see these Display discussions evolve to where they belong, which is an honest discussion of the facts, the markets to which displays are best suited, and the technical specs.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
But it's not such a big deal because you get more control with the switchbox. Internal projecting dangling wirey thingeys aren't my style. I like less clutter on the display itself.

Um, an extra DVI-port in the back of the display is "clutter"?

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I still wonder why we Brits have to pay these prices?

UK Apple Store - Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon = £2659 or $5,247

OR

US Apple Store - Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon = $3997

1 x cinema display (23") = $899

1 x 80GB iPod video $349

Total $5245

leaving me with $2 for the bus home.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
Those cinema displays are hideously expensive both side of the Atlantic. I ended up purchasing a A04 rev Dell 2407WFP which was £200 cheaper than the Apple equivalent, with numerous benefits:
- 1" extra space
- Extra inputs: VGA/Component & Composite as well as DVi
- Inbuilt multi-card Reader
- 90 degree rotatable

AND I like the look of the Dell screen, it's build quality is great. Also, this is another example of the UK getting ripped off time and time again. Another example, £425 for a PS3 here, £250 for a PS3 in Japan :mad::mad:

Now if I were in the states, and had $900 dollars to place on a screen, I'd save for a small $99 and get a massive 37" 1080p Westy with a multitude of inputs including HDMI. That's $99 for 13" extra display space, and HDMI, good design and reputation!

Apple - you're a rip off.:(

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Um, an extra DVI-port in the back of the display is "clutter"?
No, the DVI cable attached to it is.

Personally, I'd like just one cable coming out of the base of the monitor (ADC style), going to a break-out box that could be hidden. The box would have a standard power cable and all the inputs in the world on it. I don't want all those cables swimming around my desk (even bundled with zip ties), just like the person you're responding to.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
I am speaking to the High End Graphics Arts Print Production market. Last I checked, some Apple users still worked in this market.

Although now working in a different field, I spent 10 years in print design/production and I concur whole-heartedly. One of the best things about Apple kit is that stuff like colour matching does work pretty much out of the box - in my experience every single time - and that benefit has a significant cash value.

It's very difficult to explain this to people who aren't familiar with the intricacies of print production - I had a similar argument elsewhere a few months ago and it was suggested to me that if I was having trouble getting true colour values on the monitor, I should assign hex values to them.

Sigh ...

The only time I ever had trouble with variance between display and printed colour was using a third party monitor. It may have cost a couple of hundred quid less to buy, but the entire print run that had to be re-done cost rather more than that ...

Cheers!

Jim

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
No, the DVI cable attached to it is.

If you don't like the "clutter" of additional cable, then don't use it. Sheesh. But for those who would like to attach a second computer to the screen, that additional port would be a godsend. Those people who worry about their desktop-clutter can simply choose to not use the additional port.

Personally, I'd like just one cable coming out of the base of the monitor (ADC style), going to a break-out box that could be hidden. The box would have a standard power cable and all the inputs in the world on it.

Why replace a simple solution (additional port) with an overtly complicated and expensive solution=

I don't want all those cables swimming around my desk (even bundled with zip ties), just like the person you're responding to.

Then don't use the additional port. Just because it would be there, does NOT mean that you would be forced to use it. But simply offering the possibility to those who want a second port, does not make your desktop more cluttered.

I really fail to see the problem here.

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
One thing to note is that finally, these things are competitively priced against the likes of Dell here in the UK - in fact, the 30" is actually cheaper than Dell's offering, and the rest aren't that much more. I think with this in mind, a lot of people are going to say "Ah, screw it" and get the Apple version. It's mighty tempting.

roblin

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
One thing to note is that finally, these things are competitively priced against the likes of Dell here in the UK - in fact, the 30" is actually cheaper than Dell's offering, and the rest aren't that much more. I think with this in mind, a lot of people are going to say "Ah, screw it" and get the Apple version. It's mighty tempting.

I did this today. Screw dell and their ever-changeing prices. I am soon a member of the 30"-club.

In Sweden its:
15495.00kr for the ACD (with educ)
18227,50 kr for the dell 3007HC.

ACD is ~$400 cheaper.

The dell may be the better screen, but the apple is more beautiful. And the higher second hand value for the ACD clearly makes the Apple a better buy for the time beeing.

//First post

Mooganic

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2006
UK
UK perspective

After the price reductions the 30" model is "only" £1199 (or $2366) in the UK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.