Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insan56

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2005
all of a sudden my Powerbook just started to bog right down... opening the smallest programs takes forever, stuff is crashing, and there is a severe lag when you try and do anything other than look at the net in Safari. its almost feels like my PC when it gets infected spyware. what can i do to speed things up?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
1. Check Activity Monitor for a process that it using a lot of CPU time. (/Applications/Utilities or via Spotlight)
2. How much RAM do you have?
3. How much hard drive space do you have left?

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
Odly enough I am having somewhat similar issues with my powerbook. It is not the end of the world, but getting a bit bothersome to have things lagging significantly. To all the questions posed above I have done as suggested, well I actually did so prior to because they are all good advice that I already knew of. I guess best thing I can add is repair permissions, perhaps do a minor clean of your system cache and shut down for just a little while to let the powerbook take a nap.

insan56

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2005
lol i checked out Activity Monitor and over 50% of my RAM was fixed so i reset and now everything is fine... i have to start rebooting more often!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.