Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Ikea is one of the most uncivilized stores I've been to. I went to it once, and I tried to buy some low quality table. I told the employee I wanted it, and I was expecting them to ship it to my house. That wasn't the case; I had to go find the different parts to the furniture myself in the storage room, take it to the cashier, pay for it and put it together at home. It took me awhile to find the storage room and the parts, and when I went in line, I decided against buying it and left everything for the employees to put back. All of their furniture have really bad quality and is overpriced. They have crappy service, and the employees are not very friendly. I'd suggest going to real furniture store.

Thats all part ok the iKea experiance. It is actually quite fun, and you can get a cheap dinner while your there :). I rather enjoy assembling furniture. I got the MIKAEL desk about 3 years ago, and it is still holding up fine, it even survived being shoved in a trailer and moved 500 Miles. It may be made out of particle board but it is fairly sturdy.

BTW Shotglass, I hope your happy I cleaned my desk for you (ok so I threw all the crap on my bed, but you get the idea) :)

DSC01095.jpg

Not bad for $79.99, try finding a desk for that from a fancy furniture store.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
What's the model on the bed frame ??

That's the Malm (as shecky noted below). The link is to that model in the US Store. It's got this bedtable table attached to the main bedframe.

that looks like a Malm bedframe, right? i am thinking about getting one for my new bed in my new apartment; do you like it? sturdy enough? etc...? i will be getting it in a king.

Yep...I've got the Malm in Full....sturdy enough for me. It's still particle board for the end pieces, but I think it's worn better than some of the other designs friends have had or the old hospital bed style that I upgraded from. I wish they had the Hopen in Birch, I kinda miss the spaces for handcuffs, etc.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Do people on mac rumors care about anything besides shopping? "Post your Wii! Post your Phone! Post your Watch! Post your iPods!"

I'm guilty of this too, it just seems this community is very materialistic, FYI, I only own one piece of Ikea furniture, I get the rest of my stuff from the dumpster, not cuz I'm poor, but because most of it's still in great shape and people just don't need it anymore.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
Yep...I've got the Malm in Full....sturdy enough for me. It's still particle board for the end pieces, but I think it's worn better than some of the other designs friends have had or the old hospital bed style that I upgraded from.

my girl and i are moving into our new place in june and i swear, i am on the Ikea website every day looking at stuff to get; the bed being the single biggest + most important purchase. we are going to take a ride to the stoughton store pretty soon to take a look at some of the stuff but i am always interested to hear about these platform (no boxspring) beds, as i have never had one but we both like the looks of the style. is it comfy?

the other items i will be getting are 2 or 3 flat Jerker (not the kind with the top shelf) or Galant desks, dining room chairs, an easy chair and a couch (not sure if we are going to get those at ikea or not)

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
i am always interested to hear about these platform (no boxspring) beds, as i have never had one but we both like the looks of the style. is it comfy?

Mine is comfy, but I don't have an IKEA mattress. The comfort depends mainly on the mattress IMHO. Back in school, I just had the mattress on the floor...I haven't had a box spring since around 1990...so I can't really compare it to a box spring setup.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
My entire bedroom is furnished from IKEA. I have the galant desk w/ extension, malm night table, malm dresser, billy Tall bookshelf, billy bookshelf, a filing cabinet (forgot the name). The lighting is IKEA done also, but I dont remember all the names lol. I put together all of it (took forever!) but it's all well built. You can see a picture of the desk here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/75540/ (second to last pic, the brown desk with the iMac)

I'll post other pics if anyone asks.

NickElls

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
I'm not gonna take any pictures right now; I'm sitting in bed and I don't wanna get up.

But in my room: An IKEA bed, desk, shelf, and a shelf.
Living room has a coffee table, a TV shelf, and I think the CD shelf is from IKEA.
Media room has a shelf.
Dining room has a dining table.
Parent's room has two shelves, a bed, and two bedside tables.

We're IKEA people.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Do people on mac rumors care about anything besides shopping? "Post your Wii! Post your Phone! Post your Watch! Post your iPods!"

I'm guilty of this too, it just seems this community is very materialistic, FYI, I only own one piece of Ikea furniture, I get the rest of my stuff from the dumpster, not cuz I'm poor, but because most of it's still in great shape and people just don't need it anymore.
You do have a point. However, at least for me, these threads are just nice to look at and also a great opportunity to learn about new stuff. Like when you see that someone has a Wacom, you can ask them how it works, or you can ask some guy about that display he has and then there's this other guy who has this great desk.....it's just good for getting ideas how to set up your own room and stuff.

P.S.: I have a bookshelf from IKEA. That's it. No other major furniture from there. Except for all these small things like curtains, pillows, or those adorable little mugs for holding all my pencils and everything.

emerica9283

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2007
so cal
this is all i have from ikea so far..i bought it last month,its a red desk in the shape of a peanut,its messy i know...i hope to go back soon for more stuff.it was the first time i'd been there.
04_07_07_0618.jpg

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Thats all part ok the iKea experiance. It is actually quite fun, and you can get a cheap dinner while your there :). I rather enjoy assembling furniture. I got the MIKAEL desk about 3 years ago, and it is still holding up fine, it even survived being shoved in a trailer and moved 500 Miles. It may be made out of particle board but it is fairly sturdy.

BTW Shotglass, I hope your happy I cleaned my desk for you (ok so I threw all the crap on my bed, but you get the idea) :)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f384/todd2000/DSC01095.jpg

Not bad for $79.99, try finding a desk for that from a fancy furniture store.
That is the EXACT desk I need for my room!

Being broke sucks.:(

shecky

May 24, 2003
well, after our little trip to Ikea last night we agreed on a few things, we are going to get the Hopen bed frame:

22199_PE107066_S3.jpg

a couple of large Jerker desks:

31689_PE121151_S3.jpg

and a few Expidit shelves for the studio area:

31260_PE120476_S3.jpg

and a bunch of other miscellany stuff.

JackArc

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
Orange County, CA
well, after our little trip to Ikea last night we agreed on a few things, we are going to get the Hopen bed frame:

22199_PE107066_S3.jpg

a couple of large Jerker desks:

31689_PE121151_S3.jpg

and a few Expidit shelves for the studio area:

31260_PE120476_S3.jpg

and a bunch of other miscellany stuff.

Hey I am moving into my own place in August and I really like both of those pieces - how much was the bed and desk?

shecky

May 24, 2003
the bed in King is $299 + the cost of the slatted base (about another $60) and the mattress. the jerker desk is $99 but the Ikea in Stoughton has it crossed off and marked at $79, so i do not know if they are discontinuing it or what, i hope not since i cannot buy it until June. the bookcase in that size is $179.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
the bed in King is $299 + the cost of the slatted base (about another $60) and the mattress. the jerker desk is $99 but the Ikea in Stoughton has it crossed off and marked at $79, so i do not know if they are discontinuing it or what, i hope not since i cannot buy it until June. the bookcase in that size is $179.

your from MA? where about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.