Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papadopolis1024

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
i heard about this after my MUGs meeting eating with the president and vice president and the vice president said that gimp was going fully aqua dose anyone know when this will be here (thank god no more x11)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The last update that I read about GIMP going Aqua is about two years old now. I haven't heard any updates since.

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia
I have a seemingly stripped down version of Gimp called Seashore which is aquafied. It does everything I've ever done in Gimp no worries (which is only basic image editing) so you might want to have a look at that?

Retired
May 16, 2006
Openoffice.org is going aqua (sans NeoOffice)...hopefully we'll get rid of X11 for good...

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
I hate X11 apps, but it is really nice to give developers that option to see if it's worth developing for the Mac platform.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I'm sorry, but I can't use GIMP because of Pulp Fiction. I...I just can't do it. Every time it opens I feel like shouting "bring out the gimp!"

You can just rename the app by editing a few plist values.

Thomas Harte

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2005
See this site for a circa 2003 screenshot of Aqua-native Gimp (check out the OS X v10.1 look) and some 2004 source code downloads. I'm not sure what's happened since then.

Seashore is okay, but it has some major usability issues. The crop tool in particular is very painful to use — for example, changing the selected area without just reselecting from scratch seems to be impossible. And for the record, I dislike X11 so much that I prefer to use Parallels for software like this...

EDIT:
Looks like there has been at least one subsequent and separate attempt to port GTK+ to OS X which includes another Aqua Gimp screenshot. If only someone would finish one of these ports!

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Gimpshop does require X11, but with its renamed and reorganized GIMP’s tools, options, windows, and menus, it more closely follows Adobe Photoshop’s menu structure and naming conventions than (just plain) Gimp does...

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
i heard about this after my MUGs meeting eating with the president and vice president and the vice president said that gimp was going fully aqua dose anyone know when this will be here (thank god no more x11)

Gtk+ for Mac OS X -- This is the project site for the effort to port Gtk+ 2 to Mac OS X natively (so that you can run Gtk+ applications without X11 on Mac OS X). However, according to the developer: "The port is not yet finished or usable for mainstream use."

But on his blog, you'll find a screenshot of Gimp under OS X (without X11, using Gtk+ for Mac OS X)

Oats

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New York
... the effort to port Gtk+ 2 to Mac OS X natively (so that you can run Gtk+ applications without X11 on Mac OS X)...

I was doing some reading on this GTK+ for OS X, and was initially excited about it - though as I looked more into it, it seems like it will do nothing more than X11 already does. The only difference is that GTK+ libraries will be built into each application (bloating the app significantly). X11 is probably a better option, supported directly by Apple - why re-invent the wheel?

I think seashore has the right idea, using the GIMP core, but re-implementing the UI. Hopefully seashore becomes more fully-featured over time.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
I'm sorry, but I can't use GIMP because of Pulp Fiction. I...I just can't do it. Every time it opens I feel like shouting "bring out the gimp!"

But the gimp is asleep.... well you better go wake him up then!!!

Great movie.

Anyways, I would love to see Gimp aquafied. It's a cool program (and free). It's no Photoshop, but it gets the job done.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
They need to do this. I have Photoshop up to CS3 (mac) and alot of times, I still find myself going over to gimp. I learned gimp when I was on my linux phase and fell absolutely in love with it. When I went Mac, it was quite a disappointing experience. I find myself breaking out a Linux or win box for alot of my graphics just because I feel I work faster in gimp versus PS for some reason.

marnen

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2006
X11 is probably a better option, supported directly by Apple - why re-invent the wheel?

Sorry to reply to an old thread...but for me at least, the big reason is native Mac font support. X11 doesn't support Mac fonts without conversion, and doesn't support their advanced typographic features at all -- and that's not acceptable in a professional-level graphics program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.