Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
I have a Windows 95 boot disk image (.ISO) and I need to convert it to a .DMG. I have tried opening the ISO in Disk Utility and pressing "Convert" and selecting "Compressed" but when I try to save it, Disk Utility hangs, and it never converts the image.

I have also tried:

Code:
hdiutil convert "/path/to/name.iso" -format UDRW -o "/path/to/output.dmg"

And it says this in the Terminal:

Code:
theodore-roddys-computer:~ Ted$ hdiutil convert "/Users/Ted/Desktop/Win95b_bootdisk.iso" -format UDRW -o "/Users/Ted/Desktop/Win95b_bootdisk.dmg"
Reading WIN95B (Apple_ISO : 0)...
Reading  (Apple_Free : 1)...
Elapsed Time:  58.846ms
Speed: 46.8Mbytes/sec
Savings: 0.0%
created: /Users/Ted/Desktop/Win95b_bootdisk.dmg
theodore-roddys-computer:~ Ted$

0.0% ... and the .dmg saved does not work.

Can somebody help me? :(

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
What happens if you just change the file extension to .dmg think it should work. I have created .iso using the reverse process.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
I changed the file extensions just now and it still lets me mount the images by double clicking them, but they dont seem to work with VMware... :confused:

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
What are you trying to do with VMware. If you are trying to install the OS i think you are going about it the wrong way. VMware wants a .iso to install from. The .iso doesn't need to be mounted.

Once you have followed all the setup steps in VMware you should end up on a page entitled "Finish" Select the radio button "Use operating system installation disc image file:" The select the box where it says "None". Select other and browse to where you .iso file is. Select it and hit next, then it should boot up and install.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Well the Windows 95 install CD is unbootable, I need a boot disk to boot from floppy and invoke the Windows 95 installer from there. But VMware won't let me choose an ISO for the floppy image, but it will let me choose a DMG.

My install CD is an ISO and it lets me choose that, but there's no way to start the install process without a boot disk, and that's what I can't get it work.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Sorry now out of my experience range with VMware Fusion, (I mainly use parallels and have only tinkered with VMware Fusion.) Maybe start a new thread that is specific to the new problem.

Rich

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.