Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Hi,

I've just literally received my AppleTV five minutes ago.

It connected to my Wireles Network and is syncing as i type this. The AppleTV is connected to my TV via component.

However, there is an annoying buzzing sound coming from the tv speakers no music or audio is playing, and everything is in black and white.

HELP!

I sent Apple the following information before i ordered the AppleTV and they said that it would work:

TV INFORMATION:
30" screen LCD Widescreen TV Screen format: 16:9 WXGA resolution Screen Brightness (cd/m2): 450 Contrast ratio: 400:1 Resolution (pixels): 1280x768 Multi-standard tuner Number of channels: 100 Text with Fastext Picture Comb filter Sound Audio output (RMS) W: 6 NICAM stereo Headphone PC compatible RGB via SCART: 2 SCART: 2 Composite Video S-Video Table-Top Stand No signal off/mute On/off timer Remote control.

What have i done wrong?

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Hi,

I've just literally received my AppleTV five minutes ago.

It connected to my Wireles Network and is syncing as i type this. The AppleTV is connected to my TV via component.

However, there is an annoying buzzing sound coming from the tv speakers no music or audio is playing, and everything is in black and white.

HELP!

I sent Apple the following information before i ordered the AppleTV and they said that it would work:

TV INFORMATION:
30" screen LCD Widescreen TV Screen format: 16:9 WXGA resolution Screen Brightness (cd/m2): 450 Contrast ratio: 400:1 Resolution (pixels): 1280x768 Multi-standard tuner Number of channels: 100 Text with Fastext Picture Comb filter Sound Audio output (RMS) W: 6 NICAM stereo Headphone PC compatible RGB via SCART: 2 SCART: 2 Composite Video S-Video Table-Top Stand No signal off/mute On/off timer Remote control.

What have i done wrong?

Does this TV have a single "channel" for both composite and component video? I had a TV once that did and it expected me to tell it what I had plugged into my "AV1" channel. When I had the wrong one selected, it acted just like you're describing.

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
Ok, it definatly seems like you plugged the Y jack in correctly and that you have the Pb and Pr connectors, or atleast one, in the audio inputs.

Are the inputs you are using labeled Y Pb Pr? Are you sure that you didn't mix up the Red audio jack (Right Channel) with the Pr jack?

Easiest thing to do is unplug the AppleTV and reconnect it.:)

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Here are the ports on the back of my television (from L>R)

Video L R _AV4_ (ports above) Yellow White Red

Video L R _AVOUT_ (ports above) Yellow White Red

The cable came with the AppleTV is the RGB Component cable.

Which ends go into which ports.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Hey, so reading your stats on the TV I am confused. It seems like a new TV but you did not lis component inputs, only composite. You also said that there are yellow, red and white inputs on the back. To me, that sounds like composite and two audio inputs, not component.
I dont' want to jump to the conclusion that you do not have component inputs on your TV because you're obviously getting some kind of picture.. seems weird, sorry I have no real explanation.

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
I dont' want to jump to the conclusion that you do not have component inputs on your TV because you're obviously getting some kind of picture.. seems weird, sorry I have no real explanation.

office_space.jpg

jumptoconclusions2xk.jpg

You are correct in saying that the display doesn't seem to have component inputs.

HelixOmnimedia, could you post us the model number?

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
Component video signal is transferred via three cables. One of them carries the B&W (Y) signal and the other two carry the color (Pb, Pr). Composite uses just one cable, transferring everything. Audio is transferred via a White and red jack on both standards.

You most likely put the cable that transfers the B&W-image to the composite video port (which would explain the B&W image) and the other two to your audio ports (your TV thinks the color-information the cables send is audio information -> noise).

You need to get something like this:

http://www.hometheatre.net.au/cyu2100.htm

In order to convert SCART to component.

The AppleTV outputs component and his TV has RGB inputs, not the other way around. He needs a component to SCART converter, not SCART to component.

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
The thing is, officially SCART can't carry component video, but some dvd-players/etc and TVs support sending/receiving component through scart, by sending the component Y/Pb/Pr -signal through the wires that are supposed to be used by the R/G/B signal. So it really depends on your TV, but my guess is that yours doesn't support component through scart. Those TVs are quite rare.

I'm not sure if my explanation is really clear, it was written in hurry. Wikipedia says this:
SCART cannot officially carry non-RGB (e.g. YPbPr) component video signals, which are gaining ground as an improvement over S-Video in markets where SCART is not used. However, some manufacturers of set-top-boxes and DVD players are known to provide optional (menu-selectable), non-standard YPbPr output through the pins that are officially reserved for RGB color components.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

edit:Just in case it wasn't clear from my message, that cable you linked is supposed to be used with dvd-players/TVs that can send/receive component through scart. If the TV doesn't support it, it won't work. yYou would need a converter box in that case, but those things cost a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.