Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacWorld UK quotes IDC numbers that indicate that Apple's notebook marketshare has grown in the UK:

Apple's UK notebook market share climbed from 2.8 per cent to 3.4 per cent year-on-year. In total across all vendors, notebook sales grew 14.7 per cent year-on-year, so Apple's growth in that market exceeded industry averages.

Desktop sales, however, have been weak - with significant declines in sales from last year.

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
Re: UK PowerBooks up, Desktops Down

Originally posted by Macrumors

Desktop sales, however, have been weak - with significant declines in sales from last year.

No wonder.
Desktops are noisy, comparatively slow and way overpriced.
Noone who doesn't really have to, would buy one now.
Hope they get a good replacement soon.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Re: Re: UK PowerBooks up, Desktops Down

Originally posted by visor
No wonder.

Don't think anyone with an IQ above room temperature would disagree. [And I'm pretty sure Apple knows this as well].

And, really...a desktop within 5-10% of the top Wintel performer would sell well...What folks are looking for is parity, at the very least....

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Re: Re: UK PowerBooks up, Desktops Down

Originally posted by visor
No wonder.

I completely agree. We'll see an increase in desktop sales if they put the 970 in the G4 tower, or whatever they're going to call it, and hold off putting it into the laptops. If they don't do that, desktop sales will continue to decline.

Excellent news though on the increase in laptop sales in the UK!

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Certainly looks like the year of the laptop for Apple. They do make the best looking laptops on the planet IMO. Are the laptops getting some would be PM sales? Maybe some... Hopefully people are waiting for the New PM too. If there are any new PM?

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Hmm, I live in the UK, and I just ordered a 17" PowerBook. Glad to hear I'm part of a trend ;)

Here's hoping Apple sorts out their desktop range soon - new faster chip and a nice new enclosure I think are in order.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I Love My Towers

Am I the only person in the world who prefers a desk machine? Everything about it just feels right. I love my iBook, but something about component systems gets me off.

Dan

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
Re: I Love My Towers

Originally posted by alset
Am I the only person in the world who prefers a desk machine? Everything about it just feels right. I love my iBook, but something about component systems gets me off.

Towers are quite OK.

The last Tower I bought was about 650 euro one year ago, and has about the same power as a PowerMac worth 1866,44euro today.

You know what I mean?

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand

Dan
I love the desktop too. Just don't love the current desktop lineup. Laptops are great for traveling etc, but they'll never replace my desktop.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK

Dan

No, you're not. Apple's laptops, whilst being easily the best in the industry, are still not built as solidly as their desktop machines.

Hardware faults have been FAR more common on their laptops over the past few years than on any desktop - a quick glance at Macfixit or Macintouch will tell you that.

I'm in the enviable position of owning a powerbook and a powermac, and despite the recent hardware problems on my laptop i definitely value having portability, but I wouldn't buy another laptop until the quality control improves.

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
Are they going to bring back a dock-type apparatus? I never had a laptop, so I don't know how good that was or not, but I would hate to have only a notebook, personally. I like my desktop (although it's an iMac) too, although I think it's common sense they're not very good deals right now.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
However much I would like to own a laptop...

...I still love my iMac too much to sell it. Don't have money for another computer, so I'd have to sell it to buy a PowerBook. If I'd buy a laptop, it wouldn't be an iBook, although those look absolutely gorgeous too. PowerBooks rule big time! Can't wait to see what Apple has up it's sleeve with the 15.4" and the PPC970.

:D

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
I don't like having my intelligence insulted cos I got a PowerMac.
:D :D

Anyway, I agree that PowerBooks are far mroe competitive with windows notebooks than PowerMacs are with windows desktops. But, I am in the situation, which I know a lot of people are, that I will not use anything other than a Mac as my main computer and I need power. They may not be as powerful as the latest windows towers but they are by far more powerful than any Laptop. And Cheaper.

Besides, I got the mid range powermac from the first load of MDD's and htat was a good deal, basically £1500 for a Dual 1 GHZ with a fat graphics card. GOod Enough for me. If I didn't want to put two extra Audio only hard disks inside my computer and fill it up with RAM and use too processors worth of audio units then I may possibly have considered getting a PowerBook.

ac2102

macrumors member
May 12, 2003
Bristol - England
The point is that Apple's range of notebooks exceeds the level of quality that similar Windoze portables acheive. With the added attraction of OSX, many (begrudged) PC users are looking to the Powerbook and iBook ranges. Apples combination of great technology, ease of use, style and, ultimately, fantastic portability are major plusses for the notebook market.

Comparitavely, Apple's desktop range continues to pale into insignificance when companies and individuals alike come to upgrade their systems, especially for windoze users. Only those who are either 'in the know' or have used Powermacs for creative purposes understand their appeal. Hopefully this will all change with the introduction of PowerPC 970 etc.

As you may have guessed, i am talking from a miserable experience as a Windoze user. :mad: Fortunately, about 4 years ago i was introduced to the Ways of Apple and consequently have been drooling over the Apple Store ever since! With any luck, i should have enough cash for an iBook this Christmas ( or whatever else WWDC produces.

TheMightyG

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Boston
Re: However much I would like to own a laptop...

Steve had no choice BUT to call this year the "Year of the Laptop". It doesn't take a degree in marketing to realize that the megahertz myth is still out there and now its even worse than ever. Nobody will be happy buying PowerMacs when the top dog is only 1.42 Ghz for >2500, a 3.0 Ghz PC can be had for under a grand and the transition to IBM is the industry's worst kept secret. The laptop is the only area in which Apple can still compete on price/feature with Wintel until the 970 makes its way over to the desktop line so he naturally pumped it up. He's just putting a positive spin on a bad situation. The reason why laptops now make an ever increasing proportion of Apple's total sales is not because people are buying more PowerBooks and iBooks, its just that people were buying less Powermacs and iMacs. When and if 970 based PowerMacs get introduced, the "year of the laptop" will end pretty quickly. Until the portable line gets refreshed with new chipsets that is...
:cool:

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
Originally posted by amnesiac1984
I'll take those smilies to mean you're kidding ;)

If I had the money (and the need -- as opposed to want) I would have bought a high-end tower myself, despite the disparity between it and the PCs...but it's still not a very good deal...soon...soon it will change my pretties....MUWAHAhAHAHAHAH!!!!

Or it damn well better, anyway...

macdong

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by amnesiac1984

Anyway, I agree that PowerBooks are far mroe competitive with windows notebooks than PowerMacs are with windows desktops. But, I am in the situation, which I know a lot of people are, that I will not use anything other than a Mac as my main computer and I need power. They may not be as powerful as the latest windows towers but they are by far more powerful than any Laptop. And Cheaper.

Besides, I got the mid range powermac from the first load of MDD's and htat was a good deal, basically £1500 for a Dual 1 GHZ with a fat graphics card. GOod Enough for me. If I didn't want to put two extra Audio only hard disks inside my computer and fill it up with RAM and use too processors worth of audio units then I may possibly have considered getting a PowerBook.

You got my vote.
Though I really missed the time when I could put the tower right next to my ears and hear merely nothing.
Now I have to hide my tower behind and below my desk.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Originally posted by macdong
You got my vote.
Though I really missed the time when I could put the tower right next to my ears and hear merely nothing.
Now I have to hide my tower behind and below my desk.

Well, My last mac was a beige G3 desktop, and that was noisier than this thing (with apple power supply upgrade fitted)

Anyway, this is getting off-topic, but I guess there's not much more to say other than Most people I know are buying apple laptops, but thats because we are students.

WestCoast

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2003
Aberystwyth
PM s & PBs

I have recently been considering buying a PB17, but obiously now I'll wait till the WWDC. There's a real need for he PPC970 to be released soon. I believe it'll be in the PM, but I suspect the PB will wait another 6 months for a PPC970 version.

By the way, I have a G4 533 Tower with GeForceMX2 in it. Would a Nvidia GForce4 Ti make an incredible difference to my machine?javascript:smilie(':confused:') I may wait another six months for a new machine, but I want OSX to be slicker for the time being. Plus I'm gonna buy a 23" Cinema Display.

PPlease970!javascript:smilie(':p')

Dave_B

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2003
UK
While increased speed from the mooted IBM 970 chip may well revive sales of Apples pro desktops their consumer range has a different problem.

Their entry level desktop, the eMac, is very, very ugly and any-colour-so-long-as-its-white is never going to have the popular appeal that the bright and cheerful scheme of the original iMac enjoyed.

TheMightyG

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Boston
Re: PM s & PBs

Originally posted by WestCoast
I have recently been considering buying a PB17, but obiously now I'll wait till the WWDC. There's a real need for he PPC970 to be released soon. I believe it'll be in the PM, but I suspect the PB will wait another 6 months for a PPC970 version.

By the way, I have a G4 533 Tower with GeForceMX2 in it. Would a Nvidia GForce4 Ti make an incredible difference to my machine?javascript:smilie(':confused:') I may wait another six months for a new machine, but I want OSX to be slicker for the time being. Plus I'm gonna buy a 23" Cinema Display.

Others may know better, but my understanding is that even the dual 1.42 ghz Power Macs can't saturate the top of the line ATI 9700 Pro/GeForce 4 Ti cards given the architectural limitations of the current MOBOs. It depends on what you want the new video card to do for you. If you are getting it for gaming, while you will definitely get a performance increase, I don't imagine that it will be overly dramatic even if you're playing a game optimized to offload onto a GPU like Quake III. Note that the newest games (NASCAR 2002/2003, UT2K3) all require high (>700Mhz) CPU requirements and others (Dungeon Siege) don't call for crazy fast minimum CPU speeds on the box but definitely need them to look even half good.
If you want a new GPU for gaming, may be better to get the whole optimized widget when the 970 rolls out if you want a desktop...you may get the ATI 9800 in that bad dog if you're lucky.

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden

By the way, I have a G4 533 Tower with GeForceMX2 in it. Would a Nvidia GForce4 Ti make an incredible difference to my machine?

the machine & processor will probably be too slow for the graphics card...

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe

How much have RAM you got? If you os xto run smoothly make sure your running jaguar and put as much RAM as you can afford in it.

ac2102

macrumors member
May 12, 2003
Bristol - England
Originally posted by Dave_B
While increased speed from the mooted IBM 970 chip may well revive sales of Apples pro desktops their consumer range has a different problem.

Their entry level desktop, the eMac, is very, very ugly and any-colour-so-long-as-its-white is never going to have the popular appeal that the bright and cheerful scheme of the original iMac enjoyed.

I agree that the eMac is not as appealing as the original iMacs, however you have to remember that it was introduced to the consumer line (after being available exclusively to the education market) by popular demand. Plus, with the recent upgrade to 1Ghz and the 'flat' 17inch monitor, the power is impressive with comparison to the price. It may be the entry level desktop, but it does its job very well!

Dave_B

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2003
UK
Originally posted by ac2102
I agree that the eMac is not as appealing as the original iMacs, however you have to remember that it was introduced to the consumer line (after being available exclusively to the education market) by popular demand. Plus, with the recent upgrade to 1Ghz and the 'flat' 17inch monitor, the power is impressive with comparison to the price. It may be the entry level desktop, but it does its job very well!

It may well do its job very well, possibly even very well indeed but it seems to be experiencing difficulty with getting itself out the door. From Apple's perspective I suspect that may well mean a rethink is required.
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.