Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
I have a Mac Pro desktop and a Macbook Pro laptop.

Love both of them, but have a major problem with the
DELETE key.

Explain this please....

On the Mac Pro desktop the DELETE key works by deleting text
from the first letter foward.

On a Macbook Pro the DELETE key works by deleting text from
the last letter backwards (which I hate!)

Is this common? Is there a way to fix the DELETE key so
it deletes in the manner I prefer?

Thanks!

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2007
AL
Everything i've ever used deletes from right to left. It makes perfect sense considering you write from left to right.

That said sorry I can't help you with your 'problem'. Hopefully someone can!

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I think you are confusing the two delete keys. The backspace button "<-" is not the same as the delete key "delete"/"del".

The Mac Pro has both on its keyboard while the MacBook only has the backspace button. However this can function as the delete key if you hold FN.

For the record:
backspace deletes from right to left
delete deletes from left to right

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
There are 2 delete keys on a regular Mac keyboard. Above the Arrow keys is deletes to the left, and the delete with the letters deletes to the right. The latter is commonly called "Back Space"

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
To get your MacBook Pro to do forward delete, use fn-delete.

But the "delete" keys on both keyboard should by default function the same way...as a backspace. The forward delete on a full-sized keyboard should be the "del" key above the arrow keys. Because of the condensed keyboard of a laptop, the MacBook Pro doesn't have that key, so fn-delete takes its place.

For the record:
backspace deletes from right to left
delete deletes from left to right

Confusion crops up because Apple frequently labels the backspace key "delete". Calling the delete key "del" doesn't really differentiate them enough.

AutumnSkyline

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2006
There are 2 delete keys on a regular Mac keyboard. Above the Arrow keys is deletes to the left, and the delete with the letters deletes to the right. The latter is commonly called "Back Space"

nope, you have it backwards, the one with the arrow keys deletes towards the right, and the one with the letters deletes towards the left<--- that is what is normally called backspace.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
nope, you have it backwards, the one with the arrow keys deletes towards the right, and the one with the letters deletes towards the left<--- that is what is normally called backspace.

sorry, you have it backwards!

The key with <-- printed on it goes <--this way
The key with Delete printer on it goes -->this way

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
On your MacBook Pro, if you don't use that second enter-key of yours, you can remap it to act as a "Del" key, using this handy little app.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
On your MacBook Pro, if you don't use that second enter-key of yours, you can remap it to act as a "Del" key, using this handy little app.

Thanks for that! I always thought the extra enter key was the stupidest thing about my MacBook keyboard, but now it's in the same place as the delete key on my old PC. Thanks again. :)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Apple Keyboard:
Backspace erases left
Del erases right

'Book Keyboard:
delete erases left
fn + delete erases right

It's very confusing because Apple has made it that way.

*Note: This is on the U.S. setting.

jockeyrob

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2006
I have a program, can't remember what it was called, but it changed my "\" key into a right (-->) delete key, and allowing me to backwards slash "\" when I press function-backwards slash. Since I never use backwards slash, and was accostomed to having a right delete key it was perfect.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
THis thread reminds me of this...

Duck season, rabbit season :D

Attachments

• duckseas.jpg
    duckseas.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 123

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Ah, what country's keyboard?

It is exasperated even more by the fact that the keys are labeled differently in different countries.

There are two possible keys that could be called "delete" keys on Apple keyboards.

One Apple refers to as the "delete" key. It is in the main keyboard section of desktop keyboards, and is the only one present on laptop keyboards. On U.S. English keyboards it is labeled just "delete". On international keyboards, it has a boxy arrow pointing to the left with an x in it, or just a 'long' arrow pointing to the left. (For U.S. laptop keyboard, it is the one at the upper-right just under the 'eject' key here. For desktop keyboards, it is at the upper right of the main text section, just under the F13 key here.) This key, on almost every other keyboard on the planet, is referred to as "backspace".

The other, Apple refers to as "forward delete" or "fwd delete". It is not present on laptop keyboards, only on desktop keyboards. On U.S. English keyboards, is is labeled with both "delete" and a boxy arrow pointing to the RIGHT with an x in it. On international keyboards, it is usually just the boxy arrow with an x; it may or may not say 'del' or 'delete'. (See the second link above, it is in the 'navigation' section of the keyboard, underneath 'help', and above the arrow keys.) On a laptop, its function can be achieved by holding down function ('fn') and hitting the normal delete/backspace key.

So the confusion can arise in that if you are used to seeing a U.S. English laptop labeled 'delete' for the "backspace" key, and an international keyboard that just has the arrow for "backspace", but has 'delete' plus the boxy arrow written on the "forward delete" key, it can be confusing.

Odd, I cannot find a picture of an international Apple keyboard *ANYWHERE* in high enough quality showing both the backspace and forward delete keys.

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Apple Keyboard:
Backspace erases left
Del erases right

'Book Keyboard:
delete erases left
fn + delete erases right

It's very confusing because Apple has made it that way.

*Note: This is on the U.S. setting.

exactly:
you will eventually get used to fn + delete
i was also used to having delete and backspace on seperate keys but it doesn't take long to adapt to the MB keyboard :)

Hooky

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2007
I only have one arm (the right one) due to an accident years ago. I have a US MBP with a delete key and no backspace. Given the lack of a left hand to hit the function key at the same time as the delete key, how would you recommend I get the Delete key to act like a PC delete? I.E. Delete=>, and still have a key to use like a PC <=Backspace eraser.

Forgive the newbie question I just bought the machine and am switching from 20 years of PC.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I only have one arm (the right one) due to an accident years ago. I have a US MBP with a delete key and no backspace. Given the lack of a left hand to hit the function key at the same time as the delete key, how would you recommend I get the Delete key to act like a PC delete? I.E. Delete=>, and still have a key to use like a PC <=Backspace eraser.

Forgive the newbie question I just bought the machine and am switching from 20 years of PC.

I would think that Apple Menu > System Preferences > Universal Access > Keyboard > Sticky Keys would help in this case. I'm on a desktop, so I can't confirm it works with the "fn" key...but I would hope it would.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
sorry, you have it backwards!

The key with <-- printed on it goes <--this way
The key with Delete printer on it goes -->this way

Evidently, we're all looking at different keyboard layouts, and that's further confusing matters for everyone.

This is what I see on a Mac Pro keyboard:

MacPro_kb.jpg

Two keys, labeled "delete." there is no key labeled with a "<------" on it. has there ever been a mac keyboard that has a "<----"? The older G4 at work doesn't have it either.

Anyway, in this configuration the larger "delete" key is really a "backspace" key, deleting characters to the left of the cursor, while the smaller "delete" key is the real delete key, deleting characters to the right of the cursor. The smaller key has a "[x]>" on it, and I suppose that could differentiate the two.

Meanwhile, there is no differentiation at all on MacBooks and Mac Book Pros. This is what I see on my MBP keyboard:

MBP_kb.jpg

One delete key. If you press it, it performs a "backspace" function. If you press Fn+delete, then it performs the "delete" function.

Then there's the typical PC layout:

Dell_kb.jpg

Which arguably is a bit clearer. But then I doubt anyone here would want to admit the PC way ever being the "right" way. :)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The confusion arises from the fact that, once upon a time, "back space" and "delete" were two separate functions. This comes from typewriters with correcting ribbons. You would "space backwards", then you would "delete" the letter afterwards by typing it again with the correcting (white) ribbon.

PC keyboards use the older "backspace" terminology, while Apple keyboards use the more proper "delete" terminology (and, again, the one that only exists on desktop keyboards is referred to as "forward delete" to differentiate it.) It is more confused by the fact that PC keyboards have a "delete" key that really is "forward delete".

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006

Double Command linked above will allow to you remap several keys to function differently(but with most OS updates, you'll need to reinstall DC as the keyboard will go back to default operation, or get an updated version of DC that works with the latest OS revision):

http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/install.html#features

DoubleCommand Feature List
Value Feature
0 Disable DoubleCommand
1 Enter key acts as a Command key
2 Enter key acts as a Control key
4 Enter key acts as an Option key
8 Enter key acts as an fn key (partial support, cursor keys only)
16 Command key acts as an Option key
32 Command key acts as a Control key
64 Option key acts as a Command key
256 Control key acts as a Command key
512 Swaps Control key and Option key
2048 Capslock key acts as a Control key
4096 fn key acts as a Control key
8192 Swaps numpad . with numpad shift+.
16384 Shift + Delete acts as a Forward Delete
32768 Disable Command and Option
65536 PC style Home and End keys
131072 Backslash (\) acts as a Forward Delete
262144 Swap function key behaviour on new 'Books
524288 Disable Capslock
1048576 Enter key acts as Forward Delete
Any sensible combination of the above can be used
Preference pane (contributed by Christian Nadolle).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.