Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I do not where to post this question, I hope it is the right place.

I want to know if there are applications in windows xp that can open/mount dmg.
I searched google, I read documents, I tried software like ultraiso etc.

I did not find a good application in windows to mount mac dmg files.

Is there anybody done this? Not just reading what the sites of the windows programs tell us, that some programs supposed to open dmg. They did not! They display errors, faults etc.

Any solution?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Isobuster will do it for you. Even in the free verision (IIRC).

Isobuster said:
On top of this, IsoBuster interprets CD image files, such as:

*.DAO (Duplicator), *.TAO (Duplicator), *.ISO (Nero, BlindRead, Creator), *.BIN (CDRWin), *.IMG (CloneCD), *.CCD (CloneCD) , *.CIF (Creator), *.FCD (Uncompressed), *.NRG (Nero), *.GCD (Prassi), *.P01 (Toast), *.C2D (WinOnCD), *.CUE (CDRWin), *.CDI (DiscJuggler), *.CD (CD-i OptImage), *.GI (Prassi PrimoDVD), *.PXI (PlexTools), *.MDS (Alcohol), *.MDF (Alcohol), *.VC4 (Virtual CD), *.000 (Virtual CD), *.B5T (BlindWrite), *.B5I (BlindWrite), *.DMG (Apple Macintosh), *.IBP (IsoBuster), *.IBQ (IsoBuster), *.NCD (NTI).

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I just tried isobuster. It did not opened dmg files.
I did not tried macdrive yet.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I just tried macdrive.
I cannot understand. I installed it in parallels.
I cannot see mounted dmgs in windows explorer.
Nothing new appeared.
What I am doing wrong?

dmg is essentially a compress of a bunch of files, just like zip or rar under windows, so My guess is the app will extract that files at a location. rather than mount it as if it were a disk.

brkirch

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2001
dmg is essentially a compress of a bunch of files, just like zip or rar under windows, so My guess is the app will extract that files at a location. rather than mount it as if it were a disk.

That's not quite accurate. The dmg extension indicates that it is a disk image, and disk images are different from archive formats like zip or rar because disk images contain a complete file system in addition to files and folders. Unfortunately Windows itself cannot read mac file systems, so you would need MacDrive to read the file system even if you are able to find something that can mount the disk image. There are however many possible formats for a dmg file:
UDRW - UDIF read/write image
UDRO - UDIF read-only image
UDCO - UDIF ADC-compressed image
UDZO - UDIF zlib-compressed image
UDBZ - UDIF bzip2-compressed image (OS X 10.4+ only)
UFBI - UDIF entire image with MD5 checksum
UDRo - UDIF read-only (obsolete format)
UDCo - UDIF compressed (obsolete format)
So even if you find a program that can read dmg files, it is unlikely to support all of them so it might not support the format your dmg file is in. If possible, always use a mac to open dmg files.

I just tried macdrive.
I cannot understand. I installed it in parallels.
I cannot see mounted dmgs in windows explorer.
Nothing new appeared.
What I am doing wrong?

Since you are using Parallels your best option is to open the dmg file in Mac OS X and set the mounted disk as a shared folder in Parallels.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Here is what I would like to do.

On a USB Thumb Drive (8GB), put an AES-128 encrypted 4.7GB drive image (dmg file).

I then want to be able to open and mount this dmg file in Mac (when connected to a Mac) and Windows (when connected to a WindowsXP or Vista computer.

What would I need to do for the WindowsXP side?

TIA

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
sushi--

yeah, i've got truecrypt running in OS X now. it doesn't have all the features of the PC/Linux versions yet (like the 2nd password that opens a fake 2nd partition in case you're forced to give up the password) but it's pretty stable.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I still want a windows application to open .dmg files. Mounting or extracting or something like that.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I still want a windows application to open .dmg files. Mounting or extracting or something like that.

MacDrive http://support.mediafour.com/entries/170489-macdrive-compatibility-with-dmg-files

MacDrive 8 offers a feature to "mount" or access the contents of unencrypted DMG files. Sparse Disk Images and encrypted DMG files are not supported.

This feature was implemented in MacDrive 7. Prior versions of MacDrive, including MacDrive 6, cannot access DMG files.

as can hfsexplorer (read only) http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.html

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.