Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Long story as to why I want to do this but does anyone know how to?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I just did it using OxED running in overwrite mode (command+shift+o)

Opened up the file with OxED and just changed lots of the Hex numbers at the top of the document and saved it. Might be an easier way.

Curious why do you want to do this?

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
I usually take a jpeg photo and convert it to a doc extension.

I am going to guess you have a paper due and its not ready so turn in this and when the teacher tells you in a few days it is corrupt, you can just tell them you will re-submit it then

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop

I am going to guess you have a paper due and its not ready so turn in this and when the teacher tells you in a few days it is corrupt, you can just tell them you will re-submit it then

Of course, good method.

It's very late here (4.15 am) so off to bed, would've normally thought of that but was thinking too literally.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA

Haha, clever. If I ever am in that situation, I'll know what to do. ;)

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I just did it using OxED running in overwrite mode (command+shift+o)

Opened up the file with OxED and just changed lots of the Hex numbers at the top of the document and saved it. Might be an easier way.

Curious why do you want to do this?

I'm sorry Abtstract, I just had to quote them in case of an edit.:D

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Ah I did this a couple of times. But now a couple of my teachers say everything has to be handed in physically (printed out) which would stop everyone saying their paper's got lost in the mail.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Ah I did this a couple of times. But now a couple of my teachers say everything has to be handed in physically (printed out) which would stop everyone saying their paper's got lost in the mail.

I had a teacher who made it your responsibility to get the document turned in on time. Home sick, corrupted document, dog ate it, what ever. If it wasn't in on time, it was docked 10%. Another 10% the next day and so on. I seem to remember weekends counting as days as well.

He used to work for a defense contractor and knew people who got screwed over by FedEx messing up. Oops your billion dollar bid was in on time, its going to Rockwell.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I'm sorry Abtstract, I just had to quote them in case of an edit.:D

Don't worry I wasn't going to edit. My University operates a hard copy and cd, that way if either is messed up they have the other one to fall back on. We get receipts for our work so if they lose both you have proof that you did indeed hand it in. As per late policy if it is 1 minute after deadline then it is late 5% for the first day + 5% everyday thereafter including weekends.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I had a teacher who made it your responsibility to get the document turned in on time. Home sick, corrupted document, dog ate it, what ever. If it wasn't in on time, it was docked 10%. Another 10% the next day and so on. I seem to remember weekends counting as days as well.

He used to work for a defense contractor and knew people who got screwed over by FedEx messing up. Oops your billion dollar bid was in on time, its going to Rockwell.

see I am with you on that part. I think the OP is in the wrong corrupting the files just so everyone has to turn in the hard copy. It was just easier to say it was your respectability to get it in.

The only time I ever had a teacher cut me some slack was due to the junk mail filter of his end and he let us slide one time but after that we where put on the safe senders list and it was our job to get it in.

I know in contracting world if you are 1 min late turning in a bid. To bad so sad, you lost the bid and ethical companies are not going to bend on that rule. It a good way to get yourself in trouble by ticking off subs and general contractors because you ruin their trust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.