Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
To preface:
  1. I'm posting this here instead of Buying Tips and Advice as I want to specifically solicit the opinions of fellow designers.
  2. I have searched for a similar thread, but did not find one that specifically addressed this, if I missed it feel free to point me to it.
Now on with the thread:

My Microsoft Intellimouse 4.0 just died, and I'm looking for a replacement. For the type of work I do, a Wacom tablet would not aid me much, and I will not use a trackball.

So I'm looking for your help, Graphic Designers (and Web Designers can feel free to pitch in too). I've seen lots of talk about the best mouse for gamers, but I design ALOT more than I game, so precision Photoshop work is what I'm concentrating on for mouse usage.

I know there's a lot of recommendations for the Logitech MX and VX models, although I'm not completely sold on wireless mice yet. The ones I've used in the past (Logitech included) have been known to be a bit jumpy as I think sometimes the wireless signal encounters interference. If there have been improvements in this technology, I'm all ears.

So any suggestions?

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Just guessing, but I imagine you'll see a little love show for the 5-button mouse that comes with these.

Edit: Oops...just saw you wouldn't use the other features a tablet would offer...nevermind. :eek:

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
As I said above, a tablet really won't help me much, and I'm assuming that mouse only comes with the tablet.

Edit: Just saw your edit. A-okay. ;)

Basic Intellimouse for me all the way. I hate excess buttons that you keep hitting inadvertently.
Give me 2 buttons, one scroll wheel, and I'm happy.

I'm off of Intellimouse(s) (Intellimice?) for a while. The last one that died was because the clicker went out...I actually had three of that exact same one because I loved everything about it, but the clicker died in all of them.

That being said, I do have an old first gen Intellimouse that I use on my server that's been faithful, but I couldn't imagine using that 8 hours a day, everyday.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
I think it's all personal preference, but I personally LOVE the Kensington mice. I have two, one for each Mac and I just love the feel and the thickness, it just fits really nice in my hand. I prefer wired, but I have one of each.

http://us.kensington.com/html/11187.html
and
http://us.kensington.com/html/4006.html

are the two I have and wouldn't trade them design wise for anything. I honestly want to buy 3 or 4 incase they stop producing my favorite models. Priced great too.

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
Logitech MX400 laser mouse looks pretty good.
I personally use the Apple Mighty Mouse, and it's fairly decent, although the ball and foot require cleaning fairly often compared to most other mice I've used.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
I think it's all personal preference, but I personally LOVE the Kensington mice. I have two, one for each Mac and I just love the feel and the thickness, it just fits really nice in my hand. I prefer wired, but I have one of each.

I'll definitely check these out, thanks.

How do you like the wireless? Do you experience issues with it jumping or not responding at all? Precision is key for me.

Logitech MX400 laser mouse looks pretty good.
I personally use the Apple Mighty Mouse, and it's fairly decent, although the ball and foot require cleaning fairly often compared to most other mice I've used.

I like the Mighty Mouse, but I'm honest enough with myself to know that I won't clean it enough - just a little too high maintenance for how much I'll be using it.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I'm a firm and staunch believer in the one-button Apple Pro Mouse... personally, it makes me far less RSI-prone and keyboard shortcuts are king in busy production environments...

I hate two button mice and the Mighty Mouse. That's what the Alt, Command and Shift keys are for.

Still, I understand that this is a contentious issue, but this is what works very well for me. Pity we didn't stock up on the mice a year or two ago.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
I'm a firm and staunch believer in the one-button Apple Pro Mouse... personally, it makes me far less RSI-prone and keyboard shortcuts are king in busy production environments...

I hate two button mice and the Mighty Mouse. That's what the Alt, Command and Shift keys are for.

Still, I understand that this is a contentious issue, but this is what works very well for me. Pity we didn't stock up on the mice a year or two ago.

I can respect that, but it simply wouldn't work for me. I work on a PC for most of the day, and as such a two-button mouse is pretty much required. Plus, I've gotten spoiled on the forward/back buttons on my Intellimouse and don't think I could do without an equivalent. It simply saves loads of time when browsing.

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
I have a Logitech MX1000 at work, a Wireless MightyMouse for my MBP, and a Logitech MX Revolution at home. I love them all, but the MX Revolution is the most comfortable thing i've ever held in my hand. Too bad Logitech ignores lefties... RazerMice are also really nice. The ones that come with Wacom are good too...(also have one of those lying around)...i don't know...too many mice...too little time.

-je

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
I have a Logitech MX1000 at work, a Wireless MightyMouse for my MBP, and a Logitech MX Revolution at home. I love them all, but the MX Revolution is the most comfortable thing i've ever held in my hand. Too bad Logitech ignores lefties... RazerMice are also really nice. The ones that come with Wacom are good too...(also have one of those lying around)...i don't know...too many mice...too little time.

-je

Are the MX1000 and Revolution both wireless? If so, how do you like the wireless? Do you experience issues with it jumping or not responding at all?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I love my Logitech VX Revolution for when I do graphic design, it is very comfortable to use and has more than enough buttons for me. The scroll wheel is more than enough reason to get it. I've seen them go on sale for $50 at Best Buy before, and that was the sale that I got mine at. I personally like the VX Revolution better than the MX Revolution, the MX Revolution felt too big for me and I didn't like the feel of it as much.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
I love my Logitech VX Revolution for when I do graphic design, it is very comfortable to use and has more than enough buttons for me. The scroll wheel is more than enough reason to get it. I've seen them go on sale for $50 at Best Buy before, and that was the sale that I got mine at. I personally like the VX Revolution better than the MX Revolution, the MX Revolution felt too big for me and I didn't like the feel of it as much.

And the question of the day: How do you like the wireless? Do you experience issues with it jumping or not responding at all?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
And the question of the day: How do you like the wireless? Do you experience issues with it jumping or not responding at all?

I love wireless, I have not experience jumping or not responding at all. I use the mouse on a white desk, so the colour is uniform, but I've also used it on wood and didn't experience any jumping. I prefer wireless to wired any day.

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
yes, both are wireless, and i have love it. Wireless to me is the way to go. Very resonsive. I've had no problems with either of them. I actually like how big the MX is over the VX. I guess that's just a preference thing though.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
a Wacom Tablet is the best mouse for a designer.

I'm guessing you didn't read my entire post....

For the type of work I do, a Wacom tablet would not aid me much....

yes, both are wireless, and i have love it. Wireless to me is the way to go. Very resonsive. I've had no problems with either of them. I actually like how big the MX is over the VX. I guess that's just a preference thing though.

That's great, thanks. Unless I hear any suggestions for any other MICE, I think I'm going to order the MX Revolution tomorrow.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
Yes, I do with the wireless, but not with the wired, which is why I have both :D

That's what I've read about the Kensington mice, which is why they are now off of my list.

I've heard really good things about Logitech Revolution series, but I've been concerned about the wireless problems that plagued other mice I've used.

Does anyone else have experience with the MX Revolution?

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
If you like having lots of buttons I'd recommend the Logitech MX1000. The LCC software is a little limited but if you invest in something like SteerMouse as I did, all the buttons (including vertical and horizontal scrolling speed and acceleration... I love the acceleration!) are fully customizable on a per-app basis, so you could tailor it for the task at hand.

As a wireless mouse that uses bluetooth, the only inconvenience is that it requires you use the included base station to connect (you can't use a standard bluetooth adapter). But on the upside there is NO lag, no matter how long it's been sitting idle or if the battery is low. I haven't experienced any interference issues with a wireless 802.11b router and bluetooth enabled cell phones nearby.

As a laser mouse it's supposed to be some multiple times more precise than optical. *shrug* It seems about the same as any other (optical, ball, whatever) mouse. But I don't think I've ever seen it jump around the screen like cheaper opticals tend to.

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
yeah, let me post once more about how great the MX Revolution and the MX1000 are. The wireless has absolutely no lag, and since they are laser, they really are precise. No jumping, no moving. I really don't know which i like better, they both have a slew of buttons, but i love the "thumb scroll" of my MX Revolution for going left to right. Way better than the MX 1000 tilt scroll thing. Other than that, they are both comfortable and to me have a nice "feels like you're not gonna break it" feel.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ok, I'm aware of your anti-tablet preference...but I just have to say that the 5-button mouse with comes with a Wacom tablet solves the precision and jumping problems because it relies on the tablet for coordinates (not optics or a ball). I realize that it may be cost-prohibitive, that it's not wireless and/or you might not have desk space for it...but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
Ok, I'm aware of your anti-tablet preference...but I just have to say that the 5-button mouse with comes with a Wacom tablet solves the precision and jumping problems because it relies on the tablet for coordinates (not optics or a ball). I realize that it may be cost-prohibitive, that it's not wireless and/or you might not have desk space for it...but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

It's definitely worth a look. I've heard good things about it as a companion to the tablet, I just don't think I can justify a tablet purchase for the 30 minutes a month I may use it. I may be able to justify for home use though as I'm more likely to sketch stuff on my free time.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
I got the Logitech MX Revolution from NewEgg delivered today. All I have to say is WOW. It's truly an incredible mouse.

The laser is so accurate. The scrolling is smooth, the free-scroll wheel is awesome. Program flipping is definitely a nice feature and a huge time-saver along with the one-button searching. Highlight + click = Google Search. Awesome.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, especially JasonElise1983 for his persistent recommendation of the MX.

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.