Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
So I just moved into a friends basement and they have a NetGear Router. Yesterday the interent worked fine on my computer. Today after fiddling with my Airport Express, to get it hooked up to their Bose Speaker system. I had it working as a relay fine. Every computer in the house connected fine and I had used Safari fine. Then about an hour later I went to send an email and it wouldn't connect to the server. I opened Safari and it too couldn't connect to the web. I then checked the network status and it said everything was just fine and that I was connected to the internet through Airport. I fiddled with updating the router's firmware and resetting evrything several times in the correct order. Now I got the internet working through FireFox, but not through Safari. Crazy, huh? What could it possibly be, I really would hate to do a clean install for the such a little thing. Mail is sort of working, it can access my gmail but not send emails?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Sounds like you might have both the Netgear router and the Airport Express set to act as DHCP servers. Turn it off on the Aiport Express and let the Netgear router provide that function.

This is just an educated guess. Obviously, there are a lot of variables.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Thank you both, I changed the location from Automatic to Home and it works fine now. It's funny how I weeded through all kinds of advanced settings and managed to miss this simple one. This is why I love MR, it's fast, free, and better then calling tech support (most of the time). :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.