Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
one of the reasons i wanted to cut some of my mp3s shorter was so i can download them to my phone as a ringtone. can someone help me out?

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I do this with iTunes.

First, in the iTunes preferences make sure that your importing preferences are set to MP3 with an appropriate bitrate for your phone.

Then right click on the song, click get info, and select options. Set the stop time to what you want. Finally right click on the song again and click convert to MP3.

That'll generate a new MP3 of the song that's the length you wanted. You can then change the end time back for the original song, transfer the new one, and then delete it from iTunes.

That's probably a little more complicated then garage band, but I don't have it installed, and this was the simplest way without downloading anything.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
panoz: i finally got around to using your method and it is simple and works flawlessly. THANKS! :D

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
actually, your method works great, but it wont let me convert the file to mp3. the song is in mp4 format and it wont let me convert. is there a way to do this in itunes?

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
actually, your method works great, but it wont let me convert the file to mp3. the song is in mp4 format and it wont let me convert. is there a way to do this in itunes?

If it actually is a song, then you can rename the mp4 file to m4a and iTunes will see it.

Keep in mind that for iTunes to even consider your song for a ring tone, you need to take your trimmed song in m4a format and rename it to m4r. I is identical to m4a, but foe some strange reason it needs to see the different extension, no exceptions.

There are a few apps for iPhone that also trim the song for you, but you still need iTunes to import the song and then add it back as a ring tome. Might as well do it all in iTunes.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
MP3 Trimmer is the best option, because it edits the file "in native mp3 format", without decompressing it and then RE-compressing it back to mp3.

Because mp3 is a "lossy" format, each time you decompress, edit, and the re-compress there is a chance that data will be lost in the process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.