Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I'm using a DVI->HDMI cable to connect my Powerbook to my Sony LCD TV. The Sony's native resolution is 1366x768. For some reason my Powerbook doesn't want to switch to this resolution. I can get 1280x720, but this leaves a black border around the images the whole time.
I've tried setting a custom resolution using the trial version of SwitchResX but to no avail. It won't do it.
Anybody have any similar experiences and possibly found a fix? Any advice?

Jonny Dynamic

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
Dude me too-

Hey bud...I'm right there with you. I went to the genius bar, I've gone online and read a ton of stuff and there's suppose to be a tab in the display preferences called "geometry." If you don't have it your probably burnt. Dude, if you figure it out please let me know... I'm exhausting myself so I can see this work.

Black MacBook, 56'' Samsung DLP 1080p, Black 60 gig iPod

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
What part of the screen isn't it filling? I have a Samsung 40" LCD TV and there are black bars on the top and bottom.

Reason being? Most widescreen TV's are set up for 16:9 widescreen, while the MacBooks and MacBook Pros are set for 16:10, which is why you get a little bit of a difference. That's the answer I'm thinking.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Wow this thread finally got moving but it took a few months :D
I've seen minor improvements since moving to Leopard. I now have NEARLY full screen but still with small black bars around... In the mean time I've started streaming video via my PS3 which displays it at full screen. So that's my solution for now.

DocSmitty

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I'm currently using a 26" Sharp LCD TV as my main monitor. Once the TV knows it's using a computer input (I had to set it to receive digital computer signal) it had another layer of options. One of those options is to tell the TV what resolution signal the computer is outputting, and it adapts its display from there.

I looked at the Sony manual online and on pages 32/33 there is a list of options regarding PC input - these are listed below the standard video input options. You may want to try several of the options in that menu to get the TV to fill the screen. Have you tried using the Auto Adjust option? Or the Wide options that can make the picture fill the screen, either using a constrained aspect ratio or not?

Obviously the ideal option would be to have the Mac match the resolution of the TV perfectly, but as that does not seem to be an option, I would suggest approaching it from the TV settings side.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I looked at the Sony manual online and on pages 32/33 there is a list of options regarding PC input - these are listed below the standard video input options. You may want to try several of the options in that menu to get the TV to fill the screen. Have you tried using the Auto Adjust option? Or the Wide options that can make the picture fill the screen, either using a constrained aspect ratio or not?

I suspect that also depends on exactly which input you're using on the TV. I don't have a VGA input on my Sony so I have a DVI -> HDMI cable to connect my powerbook to the tv. Because the signal is all digital it doesn't allow for any of the aspect ratio changes you can normally make on the TV. It just takes the signal directly from my mac and puts it on the screen.

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
It sounds like that's the resolution limit for using HDMI. That's funny (not really) but my cousin has a plasma that's 1080i and it's native computer resolution only goes up to 1024x768 which sucks on my MacBook Pro 17".

I even hate that my Samsung 40" only goes to 1366x768. But when I plug my MBP using the VGA, I can chose between a number of resolutions. I'm thinking if you dig through the manual, you may find options and it seems you are going to have to mess with resolution using your TV options. Sorry.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
That may well be true. But given the fact that I can now stream almost everything through my PS3 I'm not going to bother ;)

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
That may well be true. But given the fact that I can now stream almost everything through my PS3 I'm not going to bother ;)

Yeah, I helped my cousin set up his PS3 streaming using NullRiver's MediaLink and it works pretty darn good. He hasn't bought it yet, but he likes the fact that he can stream .avi, listen to music and view his pictures. Plus NullRiver is a good company.

I end up hooking my MBP just because there are some files that just don't like to be streaming, like hi-def .mkv's and I like the Front Row interface for some reason (yes I did mean the new one).

baseballdude345

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2008
Sorry for the late response all, but I have found a solution. I'm using my MacBook Mini DVI to VGA cable which is plugged into the back of my TV. I found it that if you do not use the Mirror display, it allows you to view your computer in full screen. Therefore, it is just like having one big monitor. You can drag windows form one monitor to the other. This was the only solution I found for the full screen problem. Now I can view my iTunes videos in full screen :) Good luck guys!

calvertalala

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2010
Fix for me

Had the same problem with a 50" lg plasma connected to my macbook pro with a dvi-hdmi adapter then hdmi to the tv. The fix was going to display settings while the tv was connected, (the macbooks lcd display settings showed up on the macbooks screen and the plasma's (tv out) settings showed up on the plasma) Made sure the resolution matched my tv (in my case 1080p which was at the bottom of the list) then in the plasma display settings window i click on the options tab, then checked overscan (on). The tv refreshed itself and "voila" - tv went full screen and had amazing picture. Just a note. The macbook pro is running snow leopard just in case that makes a difference.

MacsOnAnabolics

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
When connected to your HDTV, select System Preferences > Displays and change the resolution to the highest available under the drop-down menu to convert your resolution to that of your HDTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.