Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Well, I think it's time to upgrade to a DS Lite. I have read some stories about some people who have the white ones and how they turn yellow after use, with no way to make it white again. It kinda reminds me of the MacBook...;)
Anyways, I saw some pictures of the black one, and it smudges. IT SMUDGES. When I got a PSP (sold now), the fingerprints drove me insane. My inner OCD takes over and it needs to be clean... I ended up carrying the little PSP cloth that came with it everywhere I went. So... the only other option is the pink one. I kind of like the color of pink being used, but I can't shake the feeling that it is made for girl gamers. But the cosmetic pros to the pink one are so appealing... I don't know. I'm leaning towards the pink one right now, but I really do like the black. If anyone has a black DS Lite, does the inside smudge too? I heard it was a matte black, and if that's anything like the black MacBook, then I am forced to get pink. So, what is your opinion? I can't/don't want to import, but if I could, I would get the Ice Blue. And if I get a DS Lite, I should get it today, because I can bet everywhere is going to be sold out of DS Lites tomorrow.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
White DS's can develop cracked hinges. Black DS's are stunning but show fingerprints. Then aside it's totally subjective. I think Pink would hide finger prints.

I'd rather have one of them snazzy Pokemon DS's from Japan.
poke01.jpg

Think I'd look past the fingerprints for one of them :D
And yup, tomorrow will be a big day for the DS!

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Pokemon isn't dead yet? My God. It was the bomb back in grade hmmm....6....

Anyway, my white DS Lite has turned a little yellow on the L/R buttons but with abit of scrubbing, they go white again. Other than that, no cosmetic issues por moi.

belovedmonster

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
Yes the Pink one is aimed primarily at girls. But if you are confident in your sexuality and come off as a macho man (in a none Village people way) then you have nothing to worry about :p

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
That pokemon DS Lite is quite cool, raggedjimmi. And no, I don't come off as a macho man, unfortuanately. If the fingerprints aren't too bad, and I'm guessing you don't see them during gaming, then that's cool. As long as the matte black doesn't show fingerprints. Can anyone with a black DS Lite verify this?

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Ahem. *Points to forum sticky*

Anyway, go with white. It'll match your iPod. ;) (Assuming you have a white iPod)

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I've had the white one since the first day of release and it's still perfectly white and doesn't have any broken hinges. I think the broken hinge issue was isolated and resolved a long time ago.

I say get whatever one you really want. Worst case, it's all beat up in 3 or 4 years, trade it in and buy a new one. I'm sure they'll be even cheaper too.

Then again I also own a PSP and I really don't see any smudges on mine. I must lack finger oils or something. ;)

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
My White DS had to be sent back for a broken hinge, and it now has another broken hinge, but not so bad that it's really noticeable. Also, Nintendo said that they wouldn't replace another one as it's not really their fault. Apparently I close it "too hard". Right. :(

My friend has the black on, and it is really nice. I'm not sure how bad the smudges are though.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
In all fairness the OP is asking for time restricted advise.

The inside of the Black DS Lite doesn't show up fingerprints at all. Plus if you play in the dark then all you will see are the 2 screens, on light colours the whole thing pretty much lights up. I had a black one, then settled on white, Caroline has a black.
Oh- actually there are some minor differences. Black DS's hinge makes a "click" noise when opened and the buttons feel like they need more effort. The White can get the hinge problem, plus some White models come with the old style touchscreen which isn't as sensitive. Though the vast majority have the sensitive screen.

huck500

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
Southern California
If I were going to buy another one, I would go with black. I have a white one, and it has a cracked hinge and the slightly yellow bottom screen, but neither problem bothers me at all... I don't get why people care about the broken hinge, I never see it unless I look at it. They might both be broken now for all I know...:confused:

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I just got a black one a couple of weeks ago... it IS matte on the inside, so there's no smudging on the inside.

The glossy outside part does show fingerprints though - but it doesn't bother me. I'm too busy playing Mario Kart DS to care about what it looks like on the outside. ;) Plus, it cleans up easily enough with a standard microfiber cloth.

I think the best DS color is navy blue... but I didn't want to spend the extra money to have one of those imported.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
That pokemon DS Lite is quite cool, raggedjimmi. And no, I don't come off as a macho man, unfortuanately. If the fingerprints aren't too bad, and I'm guessing you don't see them during gaming, then that's cool. As long as the matte black doesn't show fingerprints. Can anyone with a black DS Lite verify this?

i have both the black and the white ds. my white one hasn't turned yellow, but i take very good care of it. the black one does smudge on the outside, as it's really shiny like the white macbook. the matte interior, however, is better and doesn't really smudge. another option for you to consider is getting an import model. it'll play all us games, as ds titles are region-free, and nintendo offers two more colors from which to choose, a turqoise-ish color and a dark blue.

Is the hinge really honest-to-goodness more likely to fail on white than other colors? :(

i believe this was isolated to the initial release. you can hear the difference between newer and older ds models when opening the lid all the way. the older model sounds more clicky, and the newer sounds more like a thud. hmm, maybe not the best description. but the newer models shouldn't exhibit the cracked hinge. a simple means of prevention is not to open the lid all the way.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
i believe this was isolated to the initial release. you can hear the difference between newer and older ds models when opening the lid all the way. the older model sounds more clicky, and the newer sounds more like a thud. hmm, maybe not the best description. but the newer models shouldn't exhibit the cracked hinge. a simple means of prevention is not to open the lid all the way.

I bought the white DS Lite on launch day and it was very, very clicky and rigid when opening. I sold it when I got sick of all the games for it, then recently wanted it again and bought a pink one and it's much, much smoother when it opens. I assume it was just the early models, not a certain color in general.

Daniel.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

All my old ones "thud"ed, and they had the hinge problem. My new one "clicks" into place, just like Caroline's black DS Lite. I'm hoping the different sound indicates it won't split again. The new one also has more wobble freedom compared to the old ones when they're fully opened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.