Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aggemam

macrumors member
May 7, 2002
Denmark
Automatic location switching

Automatic location switching based on eg. accessible airport networks would be great.

This way, my PowerBook would be able to sense that I'm at home or at school, and switch the location accordingly.

I hope they implement functionality like this, but even if they don't, It'll be good to have the OS9-style location manager back.

Hozie

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2003
Agreed. This would be simple to implement and yet useful. I'm all in favor for it. (The auto-switching as well, by the way...)

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
(Disclaimer: I'm currently stuck in OS9, and haven't been able to play in OS X for about a month, so everything I have to say is from memory of a year and a half working and playing in OS X.)

Okay, I'm not sure I understand what the issue is with a Mac OS 9-like Location Manager. While I do agree that an auto-detect system is an intriguing idea that I really like, much of the capabilities of the Location Manager already exist in OS X. Isn't there a 'Location' menu item in the Apple menu?

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I would like it to be an option in the finder if you like. often times I take my iBook fro mthe airport network and hook it up to my xbox and then i need to go in and switch off airport and change the connection type to DHCP using manual IP rather than jsut DHCP. And if i want to go back to airport i have to undo it all. I was actually looking for a "location manager" app with little luck.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by vniow
Ummm....what exactly is a location manager?

A software set that is supposed to change all of your network (and some other) settings for a laptop-- so you can tell it you're at home, and you can access your cable modem and have volume at high, and at work it can access the 802.11b network with volume muted. you get the idea... it never really worked that well for me, at least under 9-- it forgets a lot of the settings.

pnw

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
OS X already does this

Originally posted by Kwyjibo
I would like it to be an option in the finder if you like. often times I take my iBook fro mthe airport network and hook it up to my xbox and then i need to go in and switch off airport and change the connection type to DHCP using manual IP rather than jsut DHCP. And if i want to go back to airport i have to undo it all. I was actually looking for a "location manager" app with little luck.

You can already do exactly what you describe using the Network preference pane. Create one location with the settings for your Airport network, then create a new location with the settings for your xbox, and then it's just a matter of choosing the appropriate location from the Location menu under the Apple menu. :) Hope that helps.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Originally posted by vniow
Ummm....what exactly is a location manager?

Or another description would be... a mechanism to maintain various settings based on "where" you are using your computer. Switching locations automatically changes all of your settings... network settings, etc.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Re: OS X already does this

Originally posted by coolfactor
You can already do exactly what you describe using the Network preference pane. Create one location with the settings for your Airport network, then create a new location with the settings for your xbox, and then it's just a matter of choosing the appropriate location from the Location menu under the Apple menu. :) Hope that helps.

thats what I do right now but its a hassle I would like to be able to change these locations much easier. I don't keep preferences in my dock so i have to open applictions then preferences then netowrk then switch then apply. It would be much cooler to be able to have a menu like the airport one where i could click a new location and all the setting would change. I know i don't have to mess with the DHCP options but usually it re-intializes the airport faster if it stays on the one location.

Vroem

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2002
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Re: Re: OS X already does this

It would be much cooler to be able to have a menu like the airport one where i could click a new location and all the setting would change.
Kwyjibo: what did you smoke? The man exactly answered your question:
Originally posted by coolfactor
it's just a matter of choosing the appropriate location from the Location menu under the Apple menu. :)

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Ok ummm no he didn't.
1) It was never a question, it was a complaint a hassle that I experience.

By advanced location management, i would expect the process to simplify a bit too like as simple as it is to switch to a different airport network....in the finder if possible....one click......

Ok i'm going to explain this again.
To switch your location in jaguar I need to open up Macintosh HD, then click applications then click preferences, then I can assign a new location like xbox for my xbox settings or homeNetwork for my home settings or school for my school settings. This is very simple, and it is what he meant. Then once you select that you hit apply. then you close the window and do whatever you need to do. Then I have to open the hard drive then the applications folder then the preferences then the network tab and switch it back to undo it. then hit apply. All of this so i can transfer one file......What I want is to be able to to easily select the locations i have pre-defined in the settings were talking about and easily switch them with a click or two not like seven. Then switch them back. Its a minor inconvience to do then undo everything under the current method thats why i'm looking for simplification.... I also know when my question has been answered, but i didn't ask a question.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR

... I don't keep preferences in my dock so i have to open applictions then preferences then netowrk then switch then apply...

You don't have to do this. There is a menu item under the Apple menu that is 'Location'. It gives you a sub-menu that lists the Locations you have set up in the network prefs. Just pick the one you want to use. Do it from any application. Works like a charm! ;)

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
ok im confused....i take my laptop to school, and it detects and logs onto the wireless network (though to get off campus i need the cisco VPN), then i bring it home and plug it into my router from my DSL and it just works, and then i take it to the coffee shop and use their wireless without problem...

i never change any settings, ever. So what you guys want seems to be unnecessary...:confused:

Longey Nowze

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2001

thats what I do right now but its a hassle I would like to be able to change these locations much easier. I don't keep preferences in my dock so i have to open applictions then preferences then netowrk then switch then apply. It would be much cooler to be able to have a menu like the airport one where i could click a new location and all the setting would change. I know i don't have to mess with the DHCP options but usually it re-intializes the airport faster if it stays on the one location.

i think what you are looking for is in the apple menu, right under the Dock menu there's a location menu, you can change locations from there! i if thisn't what you're looking then... sorry!

thank you
MaT

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by uhlawboi80
ok im confused....i take my laptop to school, and it detects and logs onto the wireless network (though to get off campus i need the cisco VPN), then i bring it home and plug it into my router from my DSL and it just works, and then i take it to the coffee shop and use their wireless without problem...

i never change any settings, ever. So what you guys want seems to be unnecessary...:confused:

Some people don't have it as easy as you. With my iBook, I only used the Location setting when I travelled, so I could keep local dial-up numbers for different cities in different location set-ups. Others need to have slightly different settings for their different local connections.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Re: Re: Re: OS X already does this

Originally posted by Longey Nowze
i think what you are looking for is in the apple menu, right under the Dock menu there's a location menu, you can change locations from there! i if thisn't what you're looking then... sorry!

thank you
MaT

.....when i get my ibook back from applecare i'll try that thank you.

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
The loaction changer in the Apple menu works great, but I would love to have the same for the energy saver.

Everytime I'm going to watch a movie (once everydag) I have to open the syspre/enery and change the settings and change it back when the movie is finished.

Chimaera

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2002
I'd really like a more comprehensive location manager that could (for example) do the following:

Change default printer based on location (so I can use my printer at home when at home, and work when I'm not)

Change my dock contents (there are applications I use regularly at home that I don't touch at work, and vice versa)

Change my login items contents (same as dock above)

Basically as has been suggested OSX doesn't need location manager as most people understand it (except for people that travel about a lot) but the beauty of OS9's location manager was that you could tie *other* settings to it - the location profiles included other profiles ans switched them all as necessary - something like that would be a welcome reappearance.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by Chimaera
I'd really like a more comprehensive location manager that could (for example) do the following:

Change default printer based on location (so I can use my printer at home when at home, and work when I'm not)

Change my dock contents (there are applications I use regularly at home that I don't touch at work, and vice versa)

Change my login items contents (same as dock above)

Basically as has been suggested OSX doesn't need location manager as most people understand it (except for people that travel about a lot) but the beauty of OS9's location manager was that you could tie *other* settings to it - the location profiles included other profiles ans switched them all as necessary - something like that would be a welcome reappearance.

Yes, I agree. If a more comprehensive Location Manager were implemented, it could be a really good thing for some people. The ability to have it switch time zone, for example, would be a nice thing for me.

foniks2020

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2002
i actually sent this in to Apple's feedback as a proposed feature... ;-p as i'm sure many others did.

I do hope that it works the way the article describes it... maybe it is also tied in to the multiple log on w/out log out? Seems likely. There is also the rumor of the re-emergence of themes in an Appearance CP... *crossing fingers* which of course would be integrated into locations as well, I'd presume... along with the Energy Saver Settings, Input/Output devices, Printers, Displays (ambient light isn't the same at home as it is in office), etc. So many wonderful ways to customize my laptop for different locations...

It's almost like I'd want to have the whole System Preferences app tied to it and be able to pick a location from a menu, then edit all of the Control Panels, pick another location and edit those independently and of course have some sort of Global settings that would become the 'defaults' for all locations.

my.02

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
One thing that seems to slip everyones mind is that this will probably somehow be very involved with the rumored User Profile Management and its ability to be moved across Macs. To me that would indeed get into the term "Advanced Location Manager'.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Random Cool Idea

What would it cost to add a 'GPS location reader' (dunno what it's really called) to a laptop... I'm not talking about transmitting a GPS location but just reading 'where I am'.

Then you could do some really cool stuff with location manager...

Imagine...

If I am at location 'x / y' with a radius of 'x feet / yards / etc' then use connection method x first followed by y followed by z else test for next defined location else default to 'modem'.

GPS might still be too expensive for this now but maybe in a few more years (or less) this would be a great hands off way to work with this kinda stuff.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.