Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajhill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2007
With AppleTV to be sporting some new features. What are the odds that Steve Jobs starts a online movie RENTAL business at $.99/movie. You'd keep a list of movies and while you're at work the AppleTV would download you movie(s) one or two at a time. Kinda like Blockbuster, but without all those pesky trips to the video store to return the videos.

At $.99/rental (a favorite price point). I could probably save money over Blockbuster and when I go on vacation I wouldn't be paying for a subscription that I wasn't home to use.

Any thoughts on a iTunes Video Rental Store?

Any thoughts on the other coming features?

Alan

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
With AppleTV to be sporting some new features. What are the odds that Steve Jobs starts a online movie RENTAL business at $.99/movie. You'd keep a list of movies and while you're at work the AppleTV would download you movie(s) one or two at a time. Kinda like Blockbuster, but without all those pesky trips to the video store to return the videos.

At $.99/rental (a favorite price point). I could probably save money over Blockbuster and when I go on vacation I wouldn't be paying for a subscription that I wasn't home to use.

Alan

Yeah, sorry, not going to happen. People would find ways to hack and keep the movies. Regardless that subverts the movie store, and studios are already reluctant. So, yeah, no on so many levels.

nsknike

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2005
Ever since apple tv was announced I have been hoping for this, I would pay anywhere from $.99-$3.99 per rental.

nsknike

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2005
Yeah, sorry, not going to happen. People would find ways to hack and keep the movies. Regardless that subverts the movie store, and studios are already reluctant. So, yeah, no on so many levels.

How is this a no on so many levels when Amazon is doing it? Please provide me links that says movie companies don't want online rentals.

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006

Has Apple's DRM on the movie files currently on iTunes been hacked? I don't think so...

Apple Architect

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2007
United Kingdom

Totally agree. If they start renting on this then they will never sell another movie. The economics simply don't add up.

If they rented at $.99 for a week, a day, etc, then you would be able to rent the movie 9 times before you have bought it, how many films have you watched 9 times ? not many i guess.

The Netflicks approach works due to the fact there is a time lag while the item is in the mail. They make money as people forget to send back the item, and never cancel the subscription. It is a great model, reader digest have done it for years.

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
London, England
Rentals

I don't know why people are saying, "no". Amazon and LOVEFiLM are already doing online rentals and Netflix is about to start. Someone already pointed out that hacking hasn't been a problem (so far) and even if it does, Apple has a quick turnaround to fix this problem like it does with its music.

As for the money side of things, surely any money is better than none. The reason why movies haven't taken off like wildfire on iTunes is because of the less than DVD picture quality, no surround sound, can't burn on DVD and no extra features. If there was a rental model, nobody would mind these shortcomings. The studios won't miss out because if people like the movie they have rented, they can buy the DVD/Blu-ray/HD DVD.

The other option is keep the existing movies for a rental model and sell high definition versions with extras on iTunes.

If they introduce movie rentals, studios will benefit as they will get some money and more if they later buy the DVD and Apple will by selling more AppleTVs

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
The reason why movies haven't taken off like wildfire on iTunes is because of the less than DVD picture quality, no surround sound, can't burn on DVD and no extra features.

The reason it hasn't taken off is b/c of lack of studios/library and that Apple TV hasn't been out that long. The resolution may factor into it a little bit.

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
I think it would be nice if you could rent a movie for, say, $3 or $4... and then if you like it you could decide to keep it by paying the difference.

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
London, England
Movies

Yes, but I don't see why anyone would buy an iTunes movie when a DVD is so much better, regardless of how many movies are in the iTunes Store

ajhill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2007

Alan

Thanks for being gentle with my first posting. I think the online movie rental model makes sense for movies. Most of what Hollywood is putting out nowadays is worth watching more than once anyway. The only possible exception being Disney films, IF you have kids and they want to watch the films over and over.

Apple sells music at pretty much their cost, in order to sell iPods and accessories. That's where the money is in that model. Rental would have to be priced at $1.99 to make it worthwhile.

Both Blockbuster and Netflix are working on download memberships as we speak. The only problem is how the consumer gets the content to their HDTV. What percentage of consumers have their PCs hooked up to their TV? That's the real power of AppleTV. I know I'm having fun with mine. Now if it could only just support streaming of MPEG2 and DVDs.... Oh well, off to load up the Handbrake que...

hersheytx

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2007
I think it would be nice if you could rent a movie for, say, $3 or $4... and then if you like it you could decide to keep it by paying the difference.

I am going to buy one, but I have an Xbox360 that downloads great HD movies. I just got done watching Blood Diamond. It was perfect. With great sound. If Apple cannot come up to this standard I will not buy or later rent any movies.
I want to see my pictures and my ITUNES music. Sure hope they give it a bit more effort on the HD and sound department.

adamcz

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Yeah the xbox360 solution is nearly perfect (only flaw being that their library is too small) and Apple seriously needs to copy it. $5 or 6 to rent a movie in full HD quality, and you can begin watching it within 5 minutes of clicking download. I will never buy an appletv to watch VCR quality movies (that I have to buy for $10 or 15!) when this option is already sitting in my living room.

Another big advantage of the 360 is that I can browse through the options from the couch and never have to get up to go to the computer to download.

I know I risk the wrath of the board for saying Microsoft does anything better, but in this case there is no debate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.