Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKingdom

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hi

Maybe I'm just not used to it, but one annoying quirk I have found with mac keyboards (I recently bought a 20 inch iMac) is the keyboard is always giving me double letters when I type that I always have to go back and edit out. I already went to system preferences and changed sensitvity and repeat settings to the slowest. It's ridiculous in how inaccurate it is; has anyone else experienced this problem and/or have any suggestions? Just in writing this paragraph I've had to fix at least 10 times. No other keyboard has given me such fits before.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
No, that's strange... I think you'd have seen a lot of anger here if that was generally the case. There's some adaptation required to any new keyboard, but that's ridiculous.

Is this a wired or wireless Apple Keyboard?

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
Sounds like something isnt working right. My keyboard had never repeated letters and is probably the best keyboard I have ever owned. If it is wireless maybe the signal is getting messed up somehow. In any event there is something wrong.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
If you have access to another keyboard, try using it and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, then your keyboard is the problem and probably needs to be repaired/replaced.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Well, the reason I asked if this was a wireless kb is that this has been known to happen on bluetooth keyboards if there is strong 2.4GHz interference in your home. If your computer is near a microwave oven, you use a 2.4GHz cordless landline telephone, if you have an excessive number of simultaneous bluetooth devices active (3-4 should be no problem, but I've no idea what happens if you try to use 10 BT devices in the same room at the same time) etc, then that could be causing this.

UKingdom

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
this is the wired version. it's gotten better; i think i'm more used to it; but i google searched and apparently this is a pretty common complaint with these keyboards. it's just annoying to have to go back and delete double letters all the time. fortunately in writing this paragraph i only had to do it twice.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
That still seems strange to me... do you touch type? How fast can you type? You type with all your fingers, right? I know that I can get fairly close to my full typing speed on Apple's keyboard without seeing repeats. Other touch typists I know seem to think it's a fine keyboard.... I guess if you're used to a fairly dead keyboard where you can't move as quickly and you have to linger on keys more, then I could see a problem.

UKingdom

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
i type pretty fast, both hands. i dunno, i don't think it's the keyboard being broken as i remember being in the apple store and it also acting that way for me. i'm used to typing on a IBM laptop keyboard which doesn't feel as loose or light; maybe something about the force at which i'm striking down on the keys. but if you google you will see that this is a common complaint against these keyboards.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I had this problem when I first got my apple keyboard as well. I did think it was faulty but perservered and now it works just fine. It was just a strange adjustment to the keyboard for me I believe.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I already went to system preferences and changed sensitvity and repeat settings to the slowest.
I did the same thing with my Apple Keyboard (wired, came with Mac Pro) at first, but I modified the repeat/delay settings to my liking and after getting used to typing on it it doesn't happen any more. I would think that if you set the delay until repeat to be really long it wouldn't happen at all though.

Interestingly, the keyboard that came with my parents G5 iMac, while the same design, has noticeably different feeling keys. I think the current models are more sensitive than they used to be.

McKinley3

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
Davis, CA
Thought I Was Alone

I did the same thing with my Apple Keyboard (wired, came with Mac Pro) at first, but I modified the repeat/delay settings to my liking and after getting used to typing on it it doesn't happen any more. I would think that if you set the delay until repeat to be really long it wouldn't happen at all though.

Interestingly, the keyboard that came with my parents G5 iMac, while the same design, has noticeably different feeling keys. I think the current models are more sensitive than they used to be.

I can't tell you how glad I am to find this forum thread. Thought I was all alone with my stutteering keeynoaard aand aannoying cleanup neeeded everytime I writee something. It seems to do itt mostly on several of the vowwels and now that I noticee it, mosttly on tthe keys left-hand portion of the keyboard.

I neeveer learneed to type andd geet by wwith pretty fast huntt & peck but neever havee this issue at work on PCs nor do I recall it on eearlier Macs. I do likee the crispeer feels of some otther keyboards. I ddon'tt tthink "faat fingeeringg is tthe isssue eeither.

I haave my repeat/delay ssettings set most "Sloww" on the Reepeat Rate annd "Long" on the Delay Until Repeeat. Sees like older keyboardds had aa meechanical adjustmentt butt obvioussly the new ones do nott.

I think the onlyy opttion for me now ids try aanotther keeyboard. Any suggeestions or ideaas on other in-maachinee adjusstmeents wwouldd bee much apprreciateed.

Sorrry forr the stutteering clutter abbove butt tthat's howw this keeyyboard produces.

Thaanks for any help!!

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
this is the wired version. it's gotten better; i think i'm more used to it; but i google searched and apparently this is a pretty common complaint with these keyboards. it's just annoying to have to go back and delete double letters all the time. fortunately in writing this paragraph i only had to do it twice.

Where are you googling that exactly? Trying a search myself I saw some results for repeating issues with the wireless variant of the keyboard but not the wired. I'm not convinced it's a "pretty common complaint".

I have not had any such problems on my own keyboard. i agree with the others in here that you should check your key repeat sensitivity settings in System Preferences.

saabsonic

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2008
SF Bay Area (Forestville)
Stuttering keyboard...

Well, please let me chime in on this issue as well, it's real! Just switched from a Microsoft ergo keyboard which I like but is just too big, to the fancy white Apple keyboard which came with my Mac Pro a year or so ago. Keys do repeat, instantly, and are not affected by keyboard repeat/delay settings.

I am learning to reduce this with a lighter touch, but still find it annoying. I'm a fast touch typist and have never noticed this issue with previous keyboards.

gjgram

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
double letters from Mac keyboard

I have been using Macs since they were first made in 1982 or so. On the earlier Macs there was never a problem like this, but since the first generation of the iMac I have been getting double a's and double s's. Not every time, but very frequently.

Doesn't seem matter if the keyboard is wired or not. Seems to depend on what program I'm using. It's not happening here, but in my Mail program, and most word processing programs it happens regularly.

If anyone knows what's at the root of it, I'd love to know.

le16la

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
My Mac is typinng double nn's

Double nn's started suddennly about 3 weeks ago. I switched keyboards annd had the same problem. Help! What else could it be?

Zoiks

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2010
Strangely, I have started to see this with my Aluminum MacBook (5,1).

Just the last few days, it will repeat keystrokes and it's driving me bonkers.

Word!

ed from chicago

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2011
chicago
imac keyboard double letters/me, too

Hi

Maybe I'm just not used to it, but one annoying quirk I have found with mac keyboards (I recently bought a 20 inch iMac) is the keyboard is always giving me double letters when I type that I always have to go back and edit out. I already went to system preferences and changed sensitvity and repeat settings to the slowest. It's ridiculous in how inaccurate it is; has anyone else experienced this problem and/or have any suggestions? Just in writing this paragraph I've had to fix at least 10 times. No other keyboard has given me such fits before.

I have the same problem, but it seems to be a lazy space bar, not the letters themselves. I type at a steady rhythm and, every now and then, I get the double letter thing and have to back space and edit. Very annoying. I can't find any preferences that might adjust it. Probably have to exchange it. Just wanted you to know you are not alone.

Saphire

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
UK
I know this isn't relevent to this thread but where is the backspace key on the new wireless keyboard. I have just bought the new imac and i am having to use the left arrow key and then delete key. There is nothing in the manual to tell you were it is.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I know this isn't relevent to this thread but where is the backspace key on the new wireless keyboard. I have just bought the new imac and i am having to use the left arrow key and then delete key. There is nothing in the manual to tell you were it is.

On my wired Apple keyboard with a number pad there is a separate Delete key with a right arrow that functions as a Delete key should, to the right of the cursor.

On all Apple keyboards the delete key is the backspace. If you want it to function as a regular delete key press FN + Delete and it will delete to the right.

pato.pedroraimundo

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2015
Hi guys ... some here!
I'm from Portugal, I have a MacBook Pro 15''. and my problem is on integrated keyboard letter "o".
I also have a wireless keyboard and in fact I don't remember that it happens with it.

GBF86

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
I have never had this problem until I got my new Apple Magic Keyboard 2015. Now it happens ALLL TTHE TIMEE. My typing hasn't changed, and my previous keyboard was also wireless.

I've tried all the different system pref settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.