Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVID

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
27:153
Hi Guys,
I bought an apple wireless keyboard just over a year ago and now it doesnt work. There must be some loose parts in there, the apple people refuse to fix it and tells me to buy a new one. For environmental reasons i refuse to throw away a perfectly good keyboard that just needs fixing.

Has anyone had experience in the same kinda situations before? Apple tells me it is rare to have faulty keyboards, but from reading the feedbacks on the apple website, it sounds like they're not telling the truth.

i live in brisbanee oz, so if anyone knows a company who deals with repairs, i'd appreciate some info.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Hi Guys,
I bought an apple wireless keyboard just over a year ago and now it doesnt work. There must be some loose parts in there, the apple people refuse to fix it and tells me to buy a new one. For environmental reasons i refuse to throw away a perfectly good keyboard that just needs fixing.

Has anyone had experience in the same kinda situations before? Apple tells me it is rare to have faulty keyboards, but from reading the feedbacks on the apple website, it sounds like they're not telling the truth.

i live in brisbanee oz, so if anyone knows a company who deals with repairs, i'd appreciate some info.

What does it not do? connect, keys not working, ect. More info please so we can help out

AVID

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
At first it just comes and goes in terms of connection, and then after a month it just went completely. THe keyboards work perfectly, the light comes on, just no connection. Hence it believe its an easy fix, just no one willing to fix it. (and then they have those nano allan key holes that i cant open)

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
At first it just comes and goes in terms of connection, and then after a month it just went completely. THe keyboards work perfectly, the light comes on, just no connection. Hence it believe its an easy fix, just no one willing to fix it. (and then they have those nano allan key holes that i cant open)

Well what the worst you can do to it since it does not work. Just open it up and see what's inside. Just maybe and easy fix

AVID

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
true. i'll go shop for the nano allen key, will tell you how i go
thanks

robk64

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Keyboard Problem

I bought my Apple Wireless Keyboard (Bluetooth) over a year ago and it worked flawlessly up until a few weeks ago. The problem began as momentary connection interruptions (manifested by the appearance of a stuck key but was actually the last command received being repeated).

Now, the keyboard itself appears completely dead. I've gone through several sets of new batteries without any change. The light doesn't come on anymore after moving the slider. I really expected the keyboard to last longer than 18 months, especially when I have taken very good care for the equipment.

Looking at the Apple Discussions Forum, many people have encountered this problem with the latest OSX update -and- the latest MS Office (Mac) update. Not sure which is the culprit, but something happened to cause so many bluetooth devices to fault or fail at about the same time.

If anyone has a fix, please let us know. Thanks.

ericsthename

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2005
Vancouver BC
Im having the exact problem that the above poster had. One day I could no longer turn on my wireless keyboard. I have no power LED, and having opened up the keyboard found nothing obviously worn or broken. The keyboard wasn't dropped or otherwise stressed :rolleyes:

I have tried multiple sets of batteries ( i know that the 1st gen apple bluetooth peripherals are finicky with batteries from my mouse). Needless to say, this thing is out of warranty and not really worth paying to fix but nonetheless it really sucks to have peripherals that were expensive dropping like flies for no apparent reason.

If anyone has any knowledge to share it would be greatly appreciated.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
This is really going to sound harsh, and I sincerely don't mean for it to.

A few years back a friend once asked me how to get his keyboard fixed. I told him it's a 3-step procedure:

1. Unplug the keyboard from the computer
2. Carry the keyboard across the room to the trash can and put it inside
3. Go to the store and buy a new keyboard

It helps to think of a keyboard as a component, like a video card or RAM stick - if it goes bad, you replace it, rather than try to fix it. My guess is that the labor charge alone would be more than the cost of a new one, or at least very close to the same.

If you're concerned about the "green-ness" of this solution, there are several places here in the US that accept old electronics and computer components for recycling, you may find something near where you are as well.

Again, I'm really not trying to be unsympathetic (I've had a keyboard fail as well), but for smaller and less expensive components like a keyboard I think it's more common to replace them than repair them.

bluehaha

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
fix wireless apple keyboard

my apple wireless keyboard was not working after blinking slowly for a while.
however, i fixed it and this is how

step one, take out two batteris among three.
two, make sure one battery inside
three, cover with your one thumb the side of keyborad so the battery stays in
four, shaking hard the keyboard so that the battry moves back and forth in the battry hole. the bettery must hit the inside edge spring to reset. shaking it for a while to hit the spring edge inside at least 10 times.
five, try to turn on the keybord, if it turns on, it will work, if not, buy a new one.

nmbotanist

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
Wireless Keyboard Repair

A wireless keyboard came with my iMac, purchased in mid 2009. It has been goofy for about a week now so I switched over to a wired board. The problem began with the appearance of a sticky key (the dash key).

I've changed batteries without any change. When I start to type while in word processing all sorts of things happen,
1. The screen dims so I can barely see what's on it.
2. iTunes comes on automatically.
3. The volume icon appears on the screen.
4. And more....

Looking at the Apple Discussions Forum, many people have encountered this problem with the latest OSX update (I updated to 10.6.6) a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if this is the culprit, but something has happened.

I have not gotten the board wet, dropped it or otherwise mishandled it.

If anyone has a fix, please let me know. Thanks. cah8854@gmail.com

Last edited:

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
I bought my Apple Wireless Keyboard (Bluetooth) over a year ago and it worked flawlessly up until a few weeks ago. The problem began as momentary connection interruptions (manifested by the appearance of a stuck key but was actually the last command received being repeated).

Now, the keyboard itself appears completely dead. I've gone through several sets of new batteries without any change. The light doesn't come on anymore after moving the slider. I really expected the keyboard to last longer than 18 months, especially when I have taken very good care for the equipment.

Looking at the Apple Discussions Forum, many people have encountered this problem with the latest OSX update -and- the latest MS Office (Mac) update. Not sure which is the culprit, but something happened to cause so many bluetooth devices to fault or fail at about the same time.

If anyone has a fix, please let us know. Thanks.

This is EXACTLY how my Bluetooth Mac keyboard died - it was the Apple Wireless Keyboard (A1016). I bought it used off my friend in '09 and it was working great. My parents were using it and when it stopped working, I gave them the similar wired version of that keyboard along with the wired mouse that attaches to it. I bought myself the Logitech illuminated keyboard but I'm not really liking it so far. I think I want a full fledged mac keyboard like the one that died and I'm not liking the way those new, skinny ones look

lucymcfaith

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2011
Same Problem

I am having a similar problem with my bluetooth keyboard. I only bought it a year ago and for some unknown reason all the keys work fine, except the space bar. the space bar has three little silver sensor things in it and of the three, the first two are dead. does anyone know how i can fix this or who can repair it

marcusw

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2011
Maybe that new Office update?

My keyboard just kicked it in the same way.
the up arrow and the shift+i doesn't work. weird thing is that the shift and the i work alone but not together
everything else is fine.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
my apple wireless keyboard was not working after blinking slowly for a while.
however, i fixed it and this is how

step one, take out two batteris among three.
two, make sure one battery inside
three, cover with your one thumb the side of keyborad so the battery stays in
four, shaking hard the keyboard so that the battry moves back and forth in the battry hole. the bettery must hit the inside edge spring to reset. shaking it for a while to hit the spring edge inside at least 10 times.
five, try to turn on the keybord, if it turns on, it will work, if not, buy a new one.

I know I'm a little late the party here but this can't be good advice on fixing the keyboard. If you have to resort to something like this please make sure you have the money ready for a replacement.

ethics101

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
If my keyboard stops working. Apple is going to fix it or replace it themselves. It has a one year warranty. Plus my AMEX doubles that. Don't let Apple push you around.

jasweb

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Pretoria - South Africa
I "relieved" my brother from his wireless keyboard (3 battery) and old wireless magic mouse to be used on my 17" MBP arriving this week (currently using both on my Windows 7 64-bit Sony Vaio). Getting a brand new magic mouse with the MBP, but the keyboard will come in handy (when the MBP starts to "cook" :) ).

Anyways, having read some of the comments in these forums I have come to the following conclusion (as a soon to become mac fanboy as well)

1) Either Apple makes crappy hardware (not my experience so far using the old wireless keyboard and magic mouse)... OR
2) Some Apple users ABUSE their hardware... (keyboards bending, breaking, stop working, etc.)

I cannot for the life of me believe that Apple will sell inferior hardware (without good Quality Assurance).. But since I have not received my MBP yet, I will reserve my final judgement.

Have a G5 at work and it was state of the art a few years ago and still runs as best it can (Tiger Server). Here is hoping my MBP 17" 2011 will be "flawless" when I open the box this week...

spDuchamp

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
Possibly an easy fix

I was having all sorts of problems with my wireless keyboard cutting out. It would constantly be cutting out and it was driving me nuts. I searched all kinds of forums about this problem and tried everything to get it to stay connected to no avail.

Then a friend told me to tighten the battery cover really well. Yup. That fixed it. The little screw on cover doesn't make good contact, so you need to get it in nice and snug and things are now working a lot better.

SkyStudios

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Based in Chicago
I was having all sorts of problems with my wireless keyboard cutting out. It would constantly be cutting out and it was driving me nuts. I searched all kinds of forums about this problem and tried everything to get it to stay connected to no avail.

Then a friend told me to tighten the battery cover really well. Yup. That fixed it. The little screw on cover doesn't make good contact, so you need to get it in nice and snug and things are now working a lot better.

I was having all sorts of problems with my wireless keyboard and mouse cutting out., mouse, iMac screen, It would constantly be cutting out and it was driving me nuts. I searched all kinds of forums about this problem and tried everything to get it to stay connected to no avail.

Finally one day I went on several forums and a person suggested a user group, the group had some real apple techs, they assured me all my apple products where recalls and apple has dozens working on line to i deceive, rip their customers off with after sales lying deceiving tactics to assure their profiteers no recalls on refurbished, re used parts ever get mentioned.

A company is a company and the bigger they get the more they can do, does not fix my apple products but I can tell you this, at work when we order apple products we even speak to steve in behalf of artists, networks etc, interesting enough not one problem with those machines, keyboards and all work flawlessly, so I advise you all not to buy outside the USA, refurbished or from a personal account, if you have a friend in high places buy through them, it's more likely you won't end up with problems your not worth apples time.

nc2896

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Sydney
Wireless Keyboard

I have a wireless keyboard I bought off ebay that came missing the battery cap. If anyone has a nonworking keyboard I'd love to purchase the cap off you.

or know how i can buy/make a new cap?

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Thought Id contribute to the thread, as Im having some issues of my own with my wireless keyboard. First off the backspace key has died, it simply doesn't work, not does the apostrophe key (As you can see above).

Every other key on the board is fine, and it appeared out of the blue this afternoon. The board is over a year old, but surely its not unreasonable to ask that a keyboard costing £55 last more than little over a year?

Any chance of an Apple store replacing this? And do I need to visit a Genius or is this something that can be looked at by walking in and speaking to any floor member of staff?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.