Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
I just got my Wii today and I love it! I have a problem though. I just started updating my Wii about 30 minutes ago and it has gone very little. Why? I'm on dial-up. Is there a way to stop the download safely (shut it down) with out the firmware being damaged or will I have to leave it on overnight?

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
No idea. But I'd leave it overnight, just to be safe.

Oh, and get a real internet connection. :D JK

I'll try and convince my mom to let me leave it on overnight. And I wish I could get a real connection. No DSL or cable. Satellite to expensive for the parents. Ehh, oh well.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
The Wii won't update the firmware until it's completely downloaded and verified, so if you did stop it, or it were interupted, there would be no adverse effect. But I would wait unless it's stuck.

Did you get Super Paper Mario? :)

<]=)

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
The Wii won't update the firmware until it's completely downloaded and verified, so if you did stop it, or it were interupted, there would be no adverse effect. But I would wait unless it's stuck.

Did you get Super Paper Mario? :)

<]=)
Glad to know that. Like I said, I'll ask my mom if I can leave it on overnight or I'll take it up to some place and get it updated.

And sadly, no. I just had enough money to get the system itself. But hopefully soon I can go on a game shopping spree. Although Wii Sports is fun so it will hold me over.:D

How do you live? :)
I honestly have no clue. I must have one hell of a patience meter. I inquired about wireless internet and using non-line-of-sight service and also my power company is thinking about deploying BPL. I would be sooooo grateful if they did that.:D

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
Wii sports is awesome. If your mom hasn't tried it out yet, play a game with her. :) It's one of the few games that appeals to a peep of any age.

In the future, SPM is great. I also recomend Zelda of course and Wii Play just because you'll get an extra controller. Lots of really good games coming in June, so I hope your online situation changes. ;)

<]=)

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
Wii sports is awesome. If your mom hasn't tried it out yet, play a game with her. :) It's one of the few games that appeals to a peep of any age.

In the future, SPM is great. I also recomend Zelda of course and Wii Play just because you'll get an extra controller. Lots of really good games coming in June, so I hope your online situation changes. ;)

<]=)
I was playing the Wii on the living room TV which is her TV, and she said I couldn't box. So when she wasn't in the room, of course I started boxing! She was kind of mad. But it was classic.:D I'll try and have her play something soon.

I was looking at Zelda too but I might have to think about that. All I can hope for is a Star Wars game that you can use the Wiimote as a lightsaber! That would be cool IMHO!

And I hope I get broadband or something faster really soon as summer break is approaching!

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
yeah it takes an aweful lot: my brother always updates through our isdn connection at home and it takes forever so i guess leaving it overnight might no be worth the cost especially on smaller updates (unless you do have some flat rate dial up or something like we have)

for light saber games: lucas arts announced some lego-star wars game for the wii but i'm not that informed about it

that said we will get a faster internet at home in the next weeks ... thank goodness

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
How does it even work on Dial up?
I have a dedicated Linux box running the required MASQUERADE protocols and then have it hooked up to the router into the modem port, have the router with a static IP address, and voila! Use VNC to connect to the linux box, run KPPP, and I'm online! It's so simple!:D;)

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
I was playing the Wii on the living room TV which is her TV, and she said I couldn't box. So when she wasn't in the room, of course I started boxing! She was kind of mad. But it was classic.:D I'll try and have her play something soon.

I was looking at Zelda too but I might have to think about that. All I can hope for is a Star Wars game that you can use the Wiimote as a lightsaber! That would be cool IMHO!

And I hope I get broadband or something faster really soon as summer break is approaching!

I've gotten my elder relatives to play the Wii and they all had a blast. Even my dad, who has always shunned video games, really enjoyed bowling, but only after seeing how much fun my mom and cousin were having when they were down vistiting earlier this year. He even went as far ast to create his own Mii.

Don't even hesitate with Zelda, the game is quite enjoyable. :)

LucasArts hinted they were looking into the Wii lightsabre thing in 06, so we can only hope. I just hope that they'll go back to their roots and once again create good games. They really have not been a good company when it comes to quality since the late ninties. This bothers me, because LA has made some of my all-time favorite games. I was playing X-Wing DOS last night and it really puts all of their later stuff to shame. As much as I enjoy Rogue Squadron, it downright sucks when compared to X-Wing.

<]=)

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
Sounds like you answered your own question. :D
Yeah, that wasn't actually a question. That was more of a "wonder why? Here's why" type deal.;)

I've gotten my elder relatives to play the Wii and they all had a blast. Even my dad, who has always shunned video games, really enjoyed bowling, but only after seeing how much fun my mom and cousin were having when they were down vistiting earlier this year. He even went as far ast to create his own Mii.

Don't even hesitate with Zelda, the game is quite enjoyable. :)

LucasArts hinted they were looking into the Wii lightsabre thing in 06, so we can only hope. I just hope that they'll go back to their roots and once again create good games. They really have not been a good company when it comes to quality since the late ninties. This bothers me, because LA has made some of my all-time favorite games. I was playing X-Wing DOS last night and it really puts all of their later stuff to shame. As much as I enjoy Rogue Squadron, it downright sucks when compared to X-Wing.

<]=)
I'm glad they enjoyed the Wii so I might try it this weekend if I have time. And glad to hear that they are making one, although they better spend quite a bit of time and get this game to excel where others developed exclusively by LA have failed. The last good Star Wars game I played was Empire at War, and that wasn't even by them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.