Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikfel

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
MALTA
Has anyone tried out the new Giftbox its Amazing much more reliable downloads than Limewire and Aquisition....is anyone experiencing as great downloads as I am. This app has certainly taken the lead when P2P is concerned.

bombensington

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2002
Re: New Giftbox

Originally posted by nikfel
Has anyone tried out the new Giftbox its Amazing much more reliable downloads than Limewire and Aquisition....is anyone experiencing as great downloads as I am. This app has certainly taken the lead when P2P is concerned.

do you have a link?

[edit: think i found it here.]

nikfel

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
MALTA
Link

Sorry about that the link is.......

http://sourceforge.net/projects/giftbox/

And I would also like to add all I am using is a cable modem at 128kbps but the highest download rate I have ever gotten through speeddownload is 10kbps however for some strange reason with Giftbox a song average 4MB is downloading in around 7-10 minutes.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I can't connect, for whatever reason I can't get the app to work...

I have used it in the past and it has been great, but now i can't get it to 'start' or 'connect to local _____'...

I don't know why...

nikfel

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
MALTA
I had a similar problem 2 days ago

I had a similar problem two days ago and I was told to delete the program and reinstall it. However to also delete it via terminal.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
You know (mod who moved) this is just an update, technically not a new app announcment.

Yeah, unless my local giFT server is down (is that ever possible in P2P software?) I can't connect.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
your 'local server' is the server that runs on your computer. on the 'localhost'

i can't get this version to work either, but then, i just build giFT from source anyway. it7s easier. in my opinioin. they nevre get giftbox right.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by melchior
your 'local server' is the server that runs on your computer. on the 'localhost'

i can't get this version to work either, but then, i just build giFT from source anyway. it7s easier. in my opinioin. they nevre get giftbox right.
... well if I knew how to compile sorce code then I would, but still you said you couldn't get it to work either... bah! :confused:

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I was reading about GiftBox in these forums a while back, and someone said that it won't work if you have your Firewall turned on...could that be the problem? I tried it just now with my Firewall off and it works fine.

--Fred

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
im only seeing one persons stuff thats it?
anyone else?

edit: wow i searched for mp3's i got a ton of mp3 just from person but no one else

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Restart the app, that is what I did, and now I have an assortment of people, I suppose it doesn't update the people on first time launch.

But it is good they fixed the no connecting glitch. :D

gottsilla

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2003
Those of you, who managed to compile giFT, might want to try "poisoned". This is a giFT client I'm working on at the moment. But it does not include the daemon.
There's still a lot to do, but it works...

http://gottsilla.net

gottsilla

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by MrMacman
Do we have to compile your one?

Or is it a stand alone app?

It's already compiled. Poisoned is just a frontend for the giFT daemon. It does not include the giFT daemon. This means, without giFT installed it's a little useless app, which does nothing. At the moment you have to connect to a running daemon, which you have to start manually.
It would be nice to have some feedback on this little app.

(Sorry if that's the wrong answer, I'm not quite sure what you mean with stand alone app.)

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by gottsilla
It's already compiled. Poisoned is just a frontend for the giFT daemon. It does not include the giFT daemon. This means, without giFT installed it's a little useless app, which does nothing. At the moment you have to connect to a running daemon, which you have to start manually.
It would be nice to have some feedback on this little app.

(Sorry if that's the wrong answer, I'm not quite sure what you mean with stand alone app.)

ah ha, I gotta install something that doesn't come with the APP.

Like in giFTbox you have it all made into a semi-working program, connect to daemon... etc.

If I have to do with some weird terminal commands like people wanted me to do before, which I fail measurably at... :(

*downloads*

ohhh, nice. :)

It connected, good. Of Coarse because they are using the same protocol my download and upload shows in both programs... :eek:

Atleast you got the transfer speed down, something they can't get, your app seems speedy...

nice job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.