Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
Found this on my hard disk last night and fired it up for a game. I'd forgotten just how good it is. I ended up winning but only had my four core planets left as the Zyrgol had wiped out all my smaller colonies. Pretty empty galaxy in the end.

I prefer the real-time space combat with research, development and ship design, but turn off trading and go for calculated ground combat. Playing against five other races in a large galaxy with anomalies and plenty of worlds.

This may be a shot in the dark as it's been out of development for so long, but is anyone else still playing it? And how do you play?

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
It's similar in many ways to MoO2, although the graphics are quite basic. Like MoO2 it's turn based (except combat which is all in real-time) and there's diplomacy involved, although I prefer to spend my time battling the other races and developing biological weapons to wipe them out. The planet invasion is also completely different. Once you defeat the space defences, you may then have to face ground based weaponry whilst your ships are landing your troops. You can move your troops across the planet's surface and pick their targets but the defending troops will home in on yours. All at the same time as your ships are bombarding structures on the surface and being fired on themselves.

There's no way of absorbing another races colony though. You have to wipe out their settlers before you can claim the planet, since each race needs a different ecology to live on. However, once you've altered the atmosphere to suit your race, you can terraform individual areas of the planet's surface for your people to live on and ship in the colonists, so it's quite quick to get a planet up and running as a working colony.

The other thing is that each colony has to build up its tech level based on how much of the planet's resources you dedicate to research. So you could have your tech 6 homeworld well defended whilst your tech 3 colonies are out on a limb and easily attacked. Some of the races also build new ships like nobody's business, so it gets quite hectic when they target you and send a barrage of fleets your way.

Here's some screenshots from what's left of the website to give you an idea. The company that created it is no longer trading sadly.

Dynamicism

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2007
Wichita, KS
I had this game and the expansion pack and quite enjoyed it for a long time. Lost it many years ago when I bought a new computer and forgot to migrate it over, as well as all my registration info. Recently had a hankering to play it again and tried to find it a few months ago... but pretty much everything about it, including the author, had disappeared. I wish it was listed as abandonware so I could play it again :(.

atfirstsite

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2007
I still play StarBound II and have full version!

Hey - it took me a whole seven years -- yes, I'm that much of a fan of StarBound II - to track down the whole story.

Starbound II is deadware -- the company did not make sales enough to cover costs and it went under right before they could port the game to PC/Windows.

It was developed with Metroworks' CodeWarrior before they (Metroworks) had ported their development (of CodeWarrior) to the PC/Windows market. The game was written in C, if I remember correctly. The code remains dead as I last - get THIS - had a little chat with Mr. Joshua Grass, developer of the game!

Joshua Grass was a college student with an idea... he ended up creating the original StarBound I, which I have laying around somewhere, and used that as a springboard to advance to a development role. He now has a wife and kids. I know because I talked first to his wife - great lady.

I talked with Mr. Grass and he had almost forgotten about that game and did not realize that he has a fan out there! He sent me a personal CD-ROM with the game and all files needed on it.

Also discussed was the porting of the game to PC/Windows.

He said that he'd think about it, but I doubt it will happen.

BUT - for those who want the full game, I will do my best to hunt down that CD-ROM.

I am the only one out there who has the original website - what little of it remains. UMass had the original SB I available for download under a jgrass public page area, but that does not exist anymore - I just tried the link. Anyway - If anyone wants to chat with me about the game, I'll be happy to respond to you and see what I can do for you. I'll see about setting up a DL page and ref that out.

It took seven patient years of dedication but it was worth it!

Signed,
SB II fan :apple:

Email: amy at atfirstsite dot us

atfirstsite

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2007
StarBound II is available!

SB II fans - SB II for the Mac is now available for download - if anyone has the PC version, please email me at amy at atfirstsite dot us.

StarBound II is deadware - I've unearthed a copy of my files on an old disk.
The original CD-ROM I'd received is lost in storage somewhere. It took me forever, but here it is.

The game requires Classic compatibility to run - I doubt that you should have any issues, but then again I don't have an intel-based Mac. I'm on an original Bondi Blue iBook with OS X and Classic 9.

It took me (literally) all last night for my slow iBook - the *original version* - to zip the entire game and its accompanying files up into a Self-Extracting Archive.

Here are the following download links:

ZipIt2.sea (657.0 KB bytes) => A zip file app that you can use. http://www.onlinefilefolder.com/ind...=175779&hash=ea71dcb6bd352d78d52d65cac6bbc3aa

SB II demo.sit (11.6 MB bytes) => The small demo version - no frills. http://www.onlinefilefolder.com/ind...=175770&hash=f8b88a93f7cac3ca2b8c9e57e72fad99

SB_II_~1.HQX (16.1 MB bytes) => Another compressed file - same as above. http://www.onlinefilefolder.com/ind...=175771&hash=ce32312b4db800c245f5b09800a4087f

Starbound II.sea (344.3 MB bytes) => The whole thing - vids, sounds, races, etc. http://www.onlinefilefolder.com/ind...=175772&hash=f6cc03381d0e5055129b6bfeb559a19e

Also -
My email is amy at atfirstsite dot us - any questions, comments, and especially PayPal donations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks and Best Regards,
~ Amy :apple:

Tomas Cokis

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
Perth, Australia
New Starbound II Upload

I just re-uploaded starbound onto a website called filesavr, so for anybody after it they will find the link below.

/* ------------------------------------ */
http://www.filesavr.com/starboundii2
/* ------------------------------------ */

I haven't uploaded the movie files with this, but I will slowly do this over the next week.

If anybody wants to play this, but doesn't have an old machine, remember you can use sheepshaver, a Mac OS9 emulator, even on windows to play this perfectly (http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/).

If this link ever goes down in the future, I am never going to delete this game, so contact me on...

tomascokis@gmail.com

Tomas Cokis

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
Perth, Australia
Hello again,
Since whatever website I upload the game to just expires the link after a month, I have decided to upload it on DropBox. Just send me an email and I will give you an access link.

Kiel

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2009
Glad I've checked this old thread! Much thanks, sending an email now.

mmuszynski

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Just found this today and registered to post this. Starbound II was my favorite game when I was growing up, but I never had the money to register it.

I'd be interested in the link to download the full version. Hell, I'd pay for it now.

mmuszynski

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Brilliant, guys. Anybody ever play this networked? I did with a friend a long time ago, but it was a bit too buggy.

I do remember that I also at one point had written some music for the space combat section. Maybe I'll try to find that on my old computers at my parents' house!

Thanks again, Tomas!

laesi

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
Having trouble

I'm having a little trouble trying to get this to work. Can anyone help?

I downloaded Starbound II.tar

Then I ran Mac OS 9 on sheepshaver

I used stuffitexpander 7.0.3 to open the file

output file: Starbound II

I can't get any files to open (extension not recognized), not even the pdf files. Here's the weird part, every file/folder has a duplicate file, but with a "._" in front. So if there's a "Starbound II" file, there's a "._Starbound II" file. If there's a "Music" folder, there's a "._Music" file.

Does anyone know what's wrong or what I have to do? Thanks.

Kiel

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2009
I tried downloading SB II a few months ago on Dropbox and couldn't open it, and now I know why. By any chance, is it possible for someone here to compress SB II in the Classic environment as .sit and upload it on any site, such as mediafire.com and share it here? Sheepshaver is beyond my skill, but I do have an iBook with OS 9.
If anyone still plays this game and end up reading this thread, much thanks in advance.

BowdenGary

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2013
Florida
Starbound II lives!!!

I still play SBII on my Mac...I'm interested in the CD if it's still around.
Also, anything else, eg, races, music, etc...

Hey - it took me a whole seven years -- yes, I'm that much of a fan of StarBound II - to track down the whole story.

Starbound II is deadware -- the company did not make sales enough to cover costs and it went under right before they could port the game to PC/Windows.

It was developed with Metroworks' CodeWarrior before they (Metroworks) had ported their development (of CodeWarrior) to the PC/Windows market. The game was written in C, if I remember correctly. The code remains dead as I last - get THIS - had a little chat with Mr. Joshua Grass, developer of the game!

Joshua Grass was a college student with an idea... he ended up creating the original StarBound I, which I have laying around somewhere, and used that as a springboard to advance to a development role. He now has a wife and kids. I know because I talked first to his wife - great lady.

I talked with Mr. Grass and he had almost forgotten about that game and did not realize that he has a fan out there! He sent me a personal CD-ROM with the game and all files needed on it.

Also discussed was the porting of the game to PC/Windows.

He said that he'd think about it, but I doubt it will happen.

BUT - for those who want the full game, I will do my best to hunt down that CD-ROM.

I am the only one out there who has the original website - what little of it remains. UMass had the original SB I available for download under a jgrass public page area, but that does not exist anymore - I just tried the link. Anyway - If anyone wants to chat with me about the game, I'll be happy to respond to you and see what I can do for you. I'll see about setting up a DL page and ref that out.

It took seven patient years of dedication but it was worth it!

Signed,
SB II fan :apple:

Email: amy at atfirstsite dot us

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.