Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kobai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2007
Hey there, firstly I am new to these forums (well, posting anyway) so hello :)

I am looking for a logo to be designed for a new multi protocol IM client I am developing. I am useless at grpahical design, so therefore require someone else to complete this. Due to lack of fundings (being a student) I cannot pay someone to do this for me. Any recommendations of somewhere I can get a logo, or ideas of alternative solutions would be greatfully accepted.

The program itself current supports only MSN messenger (without some harder features like AV, winks etc... but i feel msn without winks would be a great thing :) .. ). My aim is to also implement other protocols in the near future, and work has begun on Yahoo messeging. I am also looking to incorporate an IRC client i designed a year or so ago for a coursework piece. IT is also a fully cocoa app with quite a nice interface i feel. More information and scrrenshots will follow when i complete some more of the yahoo client side :)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Are you planning for this to be a freeware (or open source) client, or a commercial offering? Where you are going with this will make a difference as to who might be willing to help you.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
http://www.logolibrary.co.uk for ideas.

You wont get many responses here asking for people to work for free. Try asking some design students at your uni/school most would be more than willing to help as its kind of like their first job. :)

Just to put things in perspective I usually charge around £500/$1000 for a logo and basic stationery set. And that is very cheap.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
No one on here works for free or cheap because everyone is an amazing expert that is way to busy for trivial things like kindness. Okay, that's a blanket statement, but....

I'd love to help you out, I haven't made a Mac'esque type Logo/Icon yet and would love to give it a shot. You can reach me at my website below. And since working for Free is taboo, I'll do it for a dollar.

alexgti

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2007
Happy To Help

I'll happily help you out for free. If you want to talk feel free to send me your email (via private messaging if you wish).

Poopface Morty

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
I'll happily help you out for free. If you want to talk feel free to send me your email (via private messaging if you wish).

Can I assume that the software you are working with is pirated? :rolleyes:

The results you are going to get from getting someone to do unpaid work will in all likelihood be very lousy.

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget

The results you are going to get from getting someone to do unpaid work will in all likelihood be very lousy.

I know your statement wan't targeted at me, but I disagree. I pay for my software, but still don't mind helping someone out every once in a while. No, i'm not going to spend as much time on it as i would a paid client, but at the end of the day, it's more than just money to me. it's about doing good work, and not being ashamed of anything i put out. I do'nt care if it's $0 or $2000, i still want it to be worth having my name associated with it. Does that always happen? no. But that is what i go for, so i don't think blanket statements like the one you made work here. I do value my work, but above all, i value the idea of not wanting someone to settle on crap because they can't afford any better. maybe that's just me.

-JE

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
Assuming this client will be free, I would be glad to help you out. You may want to see a link to my only past design here.

Look everybody, I am a student as well and I have no reason to not help out here. Sure I could get some money for it, but not the opportunity for some experience and to help somebody out, and to broaden my portfolio, and to get my name around. People donate work all the time, and telling others that nobody will help them does nothing, especially when it's not true.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Deleted by me, it wasn't very nice.

The best things in life are free. Try it. Money comes and goes, when you die it all stays here. I'll happily deliver the best product I can whether it was free or not, if my name is on it, it's gotta look my best. Perhaps a future big-rolling client needs a designer and sees my free work I did for someone, wouldn't wanna turn that away because I delivered crap.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens

Wow. Just cuz you might not want to do it for free doesnt mean someone else wont.

I know I wont do it for free cuz I cant do it at all!

Well, I could, I just dont want to. ;)

And what does pirating software have to do with anything in this thread?

Poopface Morty

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
Considering the industry standard software for logo design illustration programs like Illustrator costs more than just a couple of bucks, and the hardware to run the software likewise, not to mention the training or experience behind effective logo design, it would be more than just a little unwise to charge for free. Most people that tend to work for free because 'it's just so fun' are hobbyists who didn't pay the full price for their software, if at all.

I think some of you need to take a trip on over to http://www.no-spec.com and take a read. Despite the similar nature of art and design, design is a business. Doing work for free for the opportunity for experience shows a great amount of naivety, as well as a lack of confidence in your own work, not to mention the idea that most big-money rolling clients probably won't take someone seriously who isn't charging for their work (think about it, why would they?). It only perpetuates the idea that designer's do this merely for fun. Designer's have a need to eat too; I can't pay for food on satisfaction of a job well done.

I've heard nothing but the same idealistic comments from many young designers, and unfortunately that train of thought gets those same designers into a jaded mindset and they wind up changing careers.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I did plently of free work when I was at university, it's a good was of getting recognised as a serious designer/developer. Plus you can put the finished work on your portfolio.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
Considering the industry standard software for logo design illustration programs like Illustrator costs more than just a couple of bucks, and the hardware to run the software likewise, not to mention the training or experience behind effective logo design, it would be more than just a little unwise to charge for free. Most people that tend to work for free because 'it's just so fun' are hobbyists who didn't pay the full price for their software, if at all.

I think some of you need to take a trip on over to http://www.no-spec.com and take a read. Despite the similar nature of art and design, design is a business. Doing work for free for the opportunity for experience shows a great amount of naivety, as well as a lack of confidence in your own work, not to mention the idea that most big-money rolling clients probably won't take someone seriously who isn't charging for their work (think about it, why would they?). It only perpetuates the idea that designer's do this merely for fun. Designer's have a need to eat too; I can't pay for food on satisfaction of a job well done.

I've heard nothing but the same idealistic comments from many young designers, and unfortunately that train of thought gets those same designers into a jaded mindset and they wind up changing careers.
Say what you'd like about it, but the fact remains that there are talented designers out there willing to do some work for free. (Regardless of how they got their software or if they are naive)

Poopface Morty

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
and if you look at how much free work is done that actually does not look like crap, i think you will find that the number is EXTREMELY tiny.

Exactly. More often than not the work is amateurish at best, typically places where you will find logos with gradients, bevels, lens flares, and any other photoshop filter the user felt like applying. Of course, that's just an example, sometimes the logo may have been done in Illustrator but still looks bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.