Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdp5008

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Florida
I recently purchased a Pioneer car stereo with USB input and I am trying to decide what my best option for digital music is. I have a 2GB 1G Nano that I use for my walk to work and my workouts. I want something in my car semi-permanently.

I am thinking about an older iPod (maybe a 20gb) to put in the car.

My other option is a harddrive mounted under my seat.

I think the iPod solution would be easier if I could just find an inexpensive older iPod. What do you guys think?

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I say definately an iPod- then you always have an extra iPod should you need it (lets say your nano fails and you don't want to buy a new one yet (or can't)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i'd say ipod, because you'd probably take it out of the car with you which is a good thing. unless you're going to take the hard drive with you, i can imagine the temps in the car aren't going to be optimal for usage.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
I recently purchased a Pioneer car stereo with USB input and I am trying to decide what my best option for digital music is. I have a 2GB 1G Nano that I use for my walk to work and my workouts. I want something in my car semi-permanently.

I am thinking about an older iPod (maybe a 20gb) to put in the car.
My other option is a harddrive mounted under my seat.

Sony has a similar idea, with their XPLOD range, though it's not clear whether they support hard drives or just USB MP3 Players. The unit I had in mind, supports AAC as well, which would be idea if it supported HDD.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Does it get hot where you live? If so, go for the iPod. Heat will destroy that HDD espeically if you turn it on right after you get into and start up your hot car. Besides the iPod can go with you anywhere you want to. I am a tech consumer so I will say get a new or reasonably new one. Nothing below 4G.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Does it get hot where you live? If so, go for the iPod. Heat will destroy that HDD espeically if you turn it on right after you get into and start up your hot car. Besides the iPod can go with you anywhere you want to. I am a tech consumer so I will say get a new or reasonably new one. Nothing below 4G.

well an easily disconnectable portable 2.5" drive would work too, but most of those are bus powered, and i don't know if the stereo would provide enough power to run it. its a bit more of an effective solution, imo than an iPod, but yes heat certainly is an issue as i said before. if it needs its own power source, than iPod all the way.

rdp5008

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Florida
I forgot about the power issue. You are right, with an external hdd I might have to wire a power source for it. I am thinking the iPod is what I will do. Now I just need to find one, why do you suggest no older than 4G?

Thanks for all of the input so far!

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I forgot about the power issue. You are right, with an external hdd I might have to wire a power source for it. I am thinking the iPod is what I will do. Now I just need to find one, why do you suggest no older than 4G?

Thanks for all of the input so far!

I would say 4G or higher because 3G was only dockable and chargable via firewire, which means that you wouldn't be able to access your songs and it would stay nice and dead. 4G was both firewire and USB and then 5G was syncing via USB only but would charge on either. I would also reccomend taking the iPod with you on hot days. I used to leave mine in the car and it sometimes wasn't very happy when I came back. Also if you get a monocrome 4G, the screen will be black before it cools down from a hot car.
Anyway hope this helps
Stephen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.