Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Subject pretty much says it...how do i de-authorize a computer that had setup and authorized, but the computer no longer exists?

Thanks,

Brian

Retired
May 16, 2006
No, unfortunately, because as far as Apple is concerned, this machine could be no-longer online, and you are still playing the music :(

One of the horrible things about DRM...

If you want to use your music on more computers, I recommend NOT burning it to CD and then re-importing it, as this would be morally wrong ;)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You have to deauthorize it on that machine. Once you hit your limit you can reset it and then authorize on the machines that you do still have.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
Subject pretty much says it...how do i de-authorize a computer that had setup and authorized, but the computer no longer exists?

Thanks,

Brian

Actually, I sent a nice email a couple of weeks back to the iTMS support team because two of my authorized computers had their hard drives fail. I was not going to fix one; the other I repaired for re-sale, but I did not want to "initialize the system" so that I could de-authorize it.

The nice person at Apple support de-authorized both of my computers. :)

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
2 ?'s on the same topic.
#1. Can you somehow see which computers are authorized?
I've owned 5 macs (plus 2 more laptops that had to be returned) in the last couple of years. Sold 2, 2 died (old G3's). Itunes shows that I have 4 authorized computers. It would be nice to know which ones they are.
#2. Is it possible to deauthorize a computer if the HD's been wiped? Is the authorization on the hard drive or done by serial number?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
2 ?'s on the same topic.
#1. Can you somehow see which computers are authorized?
I've owned 5 macs (plus 2 more laptops that had to be returned) in the last couple of years. Sold 2, 2 died (old G3's). Itunes shows that I have 4 authorized computers. It would be nice to know which ones they are.
#2. Is it possible to deauthorize a computer if the HD's been wiped? Is the authorization on the hard drive or done by serial number?

i don't think you can see the specific computers that are authorized. also (again, not 100% sure), i think the authorization is tied to the itunes account. so if one computer is authorized and the hard drive gets erased, authorizing the computer again would take another one of the five allotments. it seems strange that one computer could be two (or more) of the five computers tied to a song, but that's the way it works (i think). if i were you, i'd add another computer to your itunes account so that you can de-authorize them all and start over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.