Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
I've had my first gen 10gig since the beginning. I've used it almost everyday since I've had it with no problems, just changed the battery last year. Today when I plugged in my firewire cable it made a violent buzzing noise. When I try to turn it on I get a series of icons. First a file folder with a (!) then a disc icon with a (!) then an iPod icon with a (!) and a :( face on the screen.

I think the HD is toast...

I think that answers my own question.

So what do I do? Get a new one now? I really wanted to wait for a widescreen iPod but I'm not sure I can hold out that long. I have a MD recorder I might be able to get by with for a little bit, but I don't wanna wait too long.

What would you do in my shoes. :confused:

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}
I've had my first gen 10gig since the beginning. I've used it almost everyday since I've had it with no problems, just changed the battery last year. Today when I plugged in my firewire cable it made a violent buzzing noise. When I try to turn it on I get a series of icons. First a file folder with a (!) then a disc icon with a (!) then an iPod icon with a (!) and a :( face on the screen.

I think the HD is toast...

I think that answers my own question.

So what do I do? Get a new one now? I really wanted to wait for a widescreen iPod but I'm not sure I can hold out that long. I have a MD recorder I might be able to get by with for a little bit, but I don't wanna wait too long.

What would you do in my shoes. :confused:

Won't those HD's be fairly cheap now? Depending on their price you could give it a new HD to tide you over until the new iPods come out.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Won't those HD's be fairly cheap now? Depending on their price you could give it a new HD to tide you over until the new iPods come out.

iFixIt are selling 20GB drives for $90. You have to decide if it's worth it. If you were to sell it, I'd buy it for $30 inc shipping.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
iFixIt are selling 20GB drives for $90. You have to decide if it's worth it. If you were to sell it, I'd buy it for $30 inc shipping.

Might as well...

*HAHAHAHA... as I was typing I decided to bang it a couple times! I threw it on the ground a couple times....IT WORKS!!!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!! I HEAR MUSIC PLAYING!!!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
Man I'm so happy right now you have no idea. Totally didn't think that would work. Just slammed it into the floor really hard. First I heard the drive trying to spin up, so I just kept slamming it. I can't believe it's working! :eek: :D

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Man I'm so happy right now you have no idea. Totally didn't think that would work. Just slammed it into the floor really hard. First I heard the drive trying to spin up, so I just kept slamming it. I can't believe it's working! :eek: :D

thats... probably not a good idea... the arms on the HDDs are a fraction of a milimetre above the HDD platter. moving it around will just cause dead spots on the HDD, bringing you later grief. Good on you for getting it working :)

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
thats... probably not a good idea... the arms on the HDDs are a fraction of a milimetre above the HDD platter. moving it around will just cause dead spots on the HDD, bringing you later grief. Good on you for getting it working :)

I just need it to work a little while longer. When do you suppose we'll see a new model? It's been a while.

I know people are saying a new iPod now might hurt iPhones sales...but seriously, how many people are getting it just to use it as an iPod comparable to a nano with fancy screen interface? 8gig iPod for $600? People want the iPhone for more than a music player.

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
I just need it to work a little while longer. When do you suppose we'll see a new model? It's been a while.

I know people are saying a new iPod now might hurt iPhones sales...but seriously, how many people are getting it just to use it as an iPod comparable to a nano with fancy screen interface? 8gig iPod for $600? People want the iPhone for more than a music player.

Ive been witing for it since feb 2006 and its still not here. i really really really want a full screen ipod. I dropped my mini once and the clickwheel got pushed into the body. i accidently dropped it again 2 seconds later and it fixed itself.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.