Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AznAstronaut

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
Did you make sure to manually correct the permissions on the kext? If you boot up in verbose mode it will give information right after the lines about display matching. ( see http://pastebin.ca/493447 for an example) also make sure repair permissions from disk utility and delete th extensions cache ( Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext), this should work for all macbook pros with ATI graphics cards if it doesn't try to redownload the attachment as it might have gotten corrupted and I updated it several times after the original post. If that doesn't work PM me with your e-mail and I'll send it to you in any format you like.

You sir, are a god. I'm no longer chained to my desk! No more external monitor for me! I haven't had a working LCD in this thing since ~November 2006. Oh glorious day. :D

AznAstronaut

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
Anyone have any idea how to reconnect my internal isight? I had removed it to put in my new screen, but when ever since then I've got no iSight. I've plugged in the cord on both ends (to the best of my knowledge) and I'm seeing nothing indicating an iSight camera under the USB portion of System Profiler (I've read somewhere that the internal iSight runs over internal USB).

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
Anyone have any idea how to reconnect my internal isight? I had removed it to put in my new screen, but when ever since then I've got no iSight. I've plugged in the cord on both ends (to the best of my knowledge) and I'm seeing nothing indicating an iSight camera under the USB portion of System Profiler (I've read somewhere that the internal iSight runs over internal USB).

As far as I can remember it's just that tiny ribbon cable that connects at the top of the screen and then winds down the LVDS cable into the bunch.

As far as where it connects on the main board, no idea.

AznAstronaut

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
As far as I can remember it's just that tiny ribbon cable that connects at the top of the screen and then winds down the LVDS cable into the bunch.

As far as where it connects on the main board, no idea.

Yeah, it's clear to me what cable it is and where it plugs in at both ends, I was just wondering if there was any trick to getting it connected to either the iSight PCB or to the main board. I've tried reconnecting the thing several times to no avail...

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
Yeah, it's clear to me what cable it is and where it plugs in at both ends, I was just wondering if there was any trick to getting it connected to either the iSight PCB or to the main board. I've tried reconnecting the thing several times to no avail...

Might have broken the ribbon connection to the iSight cable. Those tiny ribbon cables are soooo easily messed up.

When I was replacing my top-case (<3 Apple QC) I ended up cracking a clamp that held the ribbon cable down just by gently pulling the clamp up. Had to buy another top-case. It really sucked :/

There's no clamp on the iSight cable though if I remember correctly. Make sure you connected the three things around the top-left area of the main board. You probably already did, but that's all I can think of.

charlon77

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2007
Did you make sure to manually correct the permissions on the kext? If you boot up in verbose mode it will give information right after the lines about display matching. ( see http://pastebin.ca/493447 for an example) also make sure repair permissions from disk utility and delete th extensions cache ( Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext), this should work for all macbook pros with ATI graphics cards

Just curious if this will work regardless of which WUXGA panel is installed?

charlon77

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2007
Try it and let us know :] I haven't had the time to try out my LG panel with it yet.

I'm planning on giving it a shot... I messed things up with my Toshiba panel by trying to "customize" Faye's overrides. I've tried countless PRAM resets, removing and replacing Faye's files - with no success. I may have locked myself out like others have described. Back to my original panel now.

That said... anybody know exactly what to do with the atiinject files? I'm willing to give it another shot.Thanks!

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
I'm planning on giving it a shot... I messed things up with my Toshiba panel by trying to "customize" Faye's overrides. I've tried countless PRAM resets, removing and replacing Faye's files - with no success. I may have locked myself out like others have described. Back to my original panel now.

That said... anybody know exactly what to do with the atiinject files? I'm willing to give it another shot.Thanks!

I believe the ATIInject Kext file is loaded upon boot. You just have to place it in the right spot.

AznAstronaut

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
^ yes. The ATIinject.kext /Sysyem/Library/Extensions/

Then run disk utility and repair disk permisisons. Then change the permissions on the file by going into the terminal and doing something like...

sudo chown -R root:wheel ATIinject.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 ATIinject.kext

...after changing to the directory above, or just include the directories before the ATIinject.kext. Also I can't recall in which order you do the above (repair or change permissions first), but play with it and PRAMs and you will be in like Flynn.

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
I'd just like to say that I tried thomas' kext it out on my computer...

It "worked" great. However, I believe I must have damaged my display somehow. It still has interlacing vertically across the panel. Mac OS loaded perfectly after a reboot with 1920x1200 resolution but obviously with my problem it still isn't usable. Turns out I had a Samsung L01 screen, so there's no added "usable" panels to the list yet.

I'm going to pick up another one on eBay and give it a go.

And anyone thinking of moving to a MacBook after a year with a MacBook Pro... you'll probably be pretty disappointed :( I tried, I don't think I can live with it. Now I probably have to deal with a $110 restocking fee.

TeddyTheBear

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2002
SVGA 800*600 on WUXGA LCD?

I am planning to get myself a MacBookPro with WUXGA display, but when I am travelling I need to access my MacBookPro (which always stays home!) from my mobile phone (VGA or WVGA) or Nokia770/N800 via VNC. So before I leave I always turn down the resolution from 1280*854 on my current PB15" to 800*600.
Is this still possible with the WUXGA LCD, too?

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
I am planning to get myself a MacBookPro with WUXGA display, but when I am travelling I need to access my MacBookPro (which always stays home!) from my mobile phone (VGA or WVGA) or Nokia770/N800 via VNC. So before I leave I always turn down the resolution from 1280*854 on my current PB15" to 800*600.
Is this still possible with the WUXGA LCD, too?

Yes, it is possible.

In case anyone is interested, I just bought a Samsung L04 revision panel and hopefully it'll be here in the next few days.

I actually just bought a C2D MBP to replace the MacBook (apparently ALL MacBooks have bad page-down buttons. lame.), but I'll be trying it out on my old CD machine first.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
Hi all, I joined this forum because of threads like this, and would like to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I bought a panel ("compatible" toshiba -0D model, actually a Sharp) and installed it last night. Like many others, I am having some issues.

The first, which I have not really seen mentioned on here is backlighting. The backlight on my panel does not come on at all. I am hoping this is a user error/hardware issue, and I forgot to connect the inverter, did not ground, etc.. I wanted to ask about it, because way back in this thred it was mentioned that someone had to modify their inverter connector. The one that came with my new panel looked like an identical piece, but I want to make sure that I am not missing something important about the inverter. Is there anything that needs to be done on the hardware or software side to coax the backlight into turning on?

I get the Apple logo when I boot up in the bios/pram stage (recent Apple convert, please be patient with terminology) so I know the panel can work. I also get some monitor activity (turning white most likely) when I attempt to adjust the monitors/resolution settings but I cannot really tell ehat is going on. I have been checking so by shining a flashlight on the panel... I figure getting the panel working will be an adventure just like everyone else, but the backlight is worrying me a bit. Anyone have any ideas? I am really hoping it is something simple I overlooked. Thanks!

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
The first, which I have not really seen mentioned on here is backlighting. The backlight on my panel does not come on at all. I am hoping this is a user error/hardware issue, and I forgot to connect the inverter, did not ground, etc.. I wanted to ask about it, because way back in this thred it was mentioned that someone had to modify their inverter connector. The one that came with my new panel looked like an identical piece, but I want to make sure that I am not missing something important about the inverter. Is there anything that needs to be done on the hardware or software side to coax the backlight into turning on?

Chances are good that you didn't hook the panel back up properly. I believe this was the case with my first swap of panels.

There are two connectors on the left side of your MBP in addition to the two antennae that connect to the AirPort card. Make sure those two ribbon cables plug in completely to their sockets on the board. Also make sure your inverter connection is secure on the panel.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I have the old and the new panels both out of the case, and I keep switching the backlight connector and the display connector.

When I use the stock panel, the backlight works and the panel works.

When I use the new panel, the backlight never works, and the display works when booting up, and then goes "white" (the panel state changes from when it is off, but I cannot see what color it is because there is no backlight...

I figure the actual 1920x1200 display will get working with time with trial and error and previous advice from this thread, but without the backlight, it is kind of pointless to try and move forward.

So now I am thinking at least one of the following is happening to the backlight:

1. The inverter will not power my panel. How do I tell if this is in or out of spec?

2. The wires in the panel are not connected to the adaptor correctly, or the wires are somehow reversed. Has anyone had to do any modification, hardware or software, to get the backlight working? I do not want to start cutting off the adaptor and switching wires and the like unless I have reason to believe it would be necessary.

3. The panel backlight is bad. I think this is possible but unlikely. The panel was supposedly new, and I do not feel comfortable reporting something as bad after I was unable to get it working doing something like this.

4. A software issue. I really doubt this, but I suppose it is a possibility.

5. It was fine but I broke it. I would put this in the unlikely catagory also. I have been incredibly gentle, and I figure if this was a result of manhandling, the backlight would be on but not pretty...

If anyone has any advice I would love some direction. Thank you for your time and help!

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
I have the old and the new panels both out of the case, and I keep switching the backlight connector and the display connector.

When I use the stock panel, the backlight works and the panel works.

As I said in the last post, when you're switching them, do you switch ALL THREE connectors from the PIC board or just the LVDS cable (the largest one).

Simply switching the LVDS and backlight inverter connectors won't work. One of the other connectors controls the backlight level (I'm not sure which one) and the other is the iSight camera.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I am switching all the the connectors. As it stands now, I am not even unplugging them from the motherboard/airport card/other ciruits. If I plug the inverter power and the diplay cables into the stock monitor, I get backlight and display. If I plug the inverter cable into and display cable into the Sharp panel I get an Apple at PRAM, but never a flicker of a backlight, and then no correct display after booting.

I am wondering if the lack of backlight is possibly a software issue (at this point I hope so), or if the inverter just will not work (btw, mine does not look like some of the others in pics in this thread. I have a 2.33ghz C2D), or if it is something as simple as polarity. Any help is greatly appreciated, but I promise I have my cables plugged in.

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
I am switching all the the connectors. As it stands now, I am not even unplugging them from the motherboard/airport card/other ciruits. If I plug the inverter power and the diplay cables into the stock monitor, I get backlight and display. If I plug the inverter cable into and display cable into the Sharp panel I get an Apple at PRAM, but never a flicker of a backlight, and then no correct display after booting.

What panel are you using? (sorry if you've already said it, too tired to check)

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I am out of town right now so it is not in front of me. Mine is Toshiba LTD154EZ0D "compatible" panel, made by Sharp. My understanding was that the LTD154EZ0* series of designations were simply pre-production IDs, and not actually model numbers, so a "compatible" panel was all I could hope to find. I really hope this is the case.

I will post pics of my panels and inverter in the coming week, because as I said I think my inverter board is different from those previously shown in this thread.

Thank you for your help!

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
I am out of town right now so it is not in front of me. Mine is Toshiba LTD154EZ0D "compatible" panel, made by Sharp. My understanding was that the LTD154EZ0* series of designations were simply pre-production IDs, and not actually model numbers, so a "compatible" panel was all I could hope to find. I really hope this is the case.

I will post pics of my panels and inverter in the coming week, because as I said I think my inverter board is different from those previously shown in this thread.

Thank you for your help!

I'm not really sure about the whole Sharp/Toshiba compatible thing. I know I've seen Toshiba panels with that model number on eBay.

I'm still waiting on my newer Samsung panel to try it out in my old MBP, but posting pictures of your inverter will help as well.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I am posting a link for the photos. I reinstalled the old panel, and am back on the computer without an external monitor now. Everything is working splendidly. I have to say I wish more of the pieces of this computer screwed together instead of being pressure-held, because I worry so much about breaking something.

http://photos.yahoo.com/unlearnrethink

"mpb wuxga attempt"

Some of the pics are okay, most are bad. I am absolutely not a photographer so please accept my apologies now...

The sites where I would go to buy an inverter for this computer seem to think that there was no model change, so maybe I am just losing it. If anyone has any advice about getting this working it would be much appreciated. I am at a loss for now. Thanks!

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
If you're thinking of upgrading an old MBP to get a hi-def screen (1900x1200), you might want to wait for Tuesday's upcoming announcement.

*hint hint*

jrsade

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2006
If you're thinking of upgrading an old MBP to get a hi-def screen (1900x1200), you might want to wait for Tuesday's upcoming announcement.

*hint hint*

Don't expect too much ;)

Most probably Santa Rosa. Maybe LED backlight. WUXGA only in 17" MBP if at all ever...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.