Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thegrandmaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Valhalla!
Hey guys, is there a program out there that easily converts FLAC to AAC, I've got some FLAC files and I want to play them in iTunes and iPod, how can I do it?

Thanks guys!

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
There is a program called xACT which works really well I think. It also does MD5's if you have them to check the file validity. It may only convert FLAC to AIFF or WAV though but you can pop those into iTunes and convert to AAC.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Mac or PC?

Personally, I do this on my PC. FLAC -> WAV -> iTunes -> AAC manually, or using iTunesEncode.

B

Morris

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2006
London, Europe
I've used Max for this purpose in the past.

Agreed. Max is perfect for this task. It uses the same AAC encoder as iTunes for AAC (and a better one, Lame, for MP3) so no worries about quality.

Because Max supports multiple variants of AAC it can be a bit confusing at first. The flavour you want is the first 'MPEG4 Audio' you can select under 'Desired output formats', there you choose AAC. Do not use .mp4 or AAC ADTS.

isteen

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
Because Max supports multiple variants of AAC it can be a bit confusing at first. The flavour you want is the first 'MPEG4 Audio' you can select under 'Desired output formats', there you choose AAC. Do not use .mp4 or AAC ADTS.

I'm a bit confused.
I did as suggested, and the files comes out as .mp4
Converting a cd in iTunes as AAC comes out as .mp4a

Am I doing something wrong?

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I'm a bit confused.
I did as suggested, and the files comes out as .mp4
Converting a cd in iTunes as AAC comes out as .mp4a

Am I doing something wrong?
The extensions do not matter that much. Try to add one to iTunes and see if it works and then try to add it to an iPod if you have one.

You can also use Max to convert FLAC to Apple Lossless so that you do not lose any quality, but it would take up more space than AAC.

wheeeezy

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2009
I'm very confused.
I have around 50 albums in itunes which were originally flac.
The albums were simply dragged and dropped into itunes which then converted them automatically into apple lossless. I never questioned itunes' ability to do this until recently it stopped after installing the latest version of itunes.
I've now read about these elaborate methods for converting music from flac to aac and I can't work out how itunes used to do this. Am I going mad????
Jim

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I'm very confused.
I have around 50 albums in itunes which were originally flac.
The albums were simply dragged and dropped into itunes which then converted them automatically into apple lossless. I never questioned itunes' ability to do this until recently it stopped after installing the latest version of itunes.

You're saying iTunes automatically converted Flac files to Apple Lossless?

Wow!

As far as i know that has never been possible without using a QuickTime plug-in such as Xiph.

Perhaps you had that installed?

wheeeezy

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2009
I'll give that a try but I certainly haven't had anything like this installed before.

Trainwreck707

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
XLD for sure. It is a bit more complicated than Max, but has a few extra options that I find necessary, especially for ripping.

wheeeezy

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2009
Thanks for the advice guys. XLD won/t help as I'm using windows.
Anyway, can anyone explain why my itunes used to convert flac automatically when adding music? Has anyone else been able to do this?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Another paid option is Amadeus Pro which I got from a Macupdate bundle. There probably plenty others.

wheeeezy

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2009
OK!!!! But can anyone explain why my itunes used to convert flac automatically when adding music? Has anyone else been able to do this? I didn't have any of these programs installed at the time.

Holger Dansk

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2009
macbook auto convert

I followed the thread above, installed Max, fumbled with it for a few minutes, then accidentally discovered if you highlight the flac files already in iTunes and right click you get an option to convert to apple lossless. Click that and it creates new files from the old; then just delete the old files (new files are above old files if you list tunes in music library by date). And these new files will copy to the iPod - the old flac files would play on the macbook but wouldn't copy to the iPod. That's using iTunes 8.1.1 (10).

Eazy Peazy Japaneze, as they used to say.

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
One question guys. When converting from FLAC to AAC do you loose quality or not?

Edit: Oh one more. Which is best and why: FLAC or Apple Lossless?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.