Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
California
I got a few mini questions. I did a preliminary search but nothing really came up. Other than the gig difference what were the other difference between gen1 mini and gen mini? How easy is it to open up an iPod mini? And lest say I replace the hd it came with. How would I load or copy the firmware over to the new hd? Would I just download something off the net then install load it on the hd then install it on the mini or is there another way to do it? Final question I thought I remember seeing in a mac magazine that there was a upgrade battery for the mini? Is this correct or was that for another iPod model?

BTW: ipod linux vs rockbox which is an all around better software for ipods?

P.S. other than ebay where would be the best place to purchase a working solid condition mini for low price? Thank you.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
I can answer one or two of your questions: the battery life went from 8 hours to 18 hours. This is partially due to a better battery being used and partially due to the 2nd gen mini drawing less power. The 2nd gen also doesn't require an external power supply after updating the firmware, but the 1st gen does.

There are lots of videos on the net showing you how to change the mini's battery, so they will tell you how to open it up (and put it back together).

Greg

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
California
Well thank you. What is a good place to get a gen2 that not ebay? Also how hard would it be to swap out hds? I want to install a 16gig CF card in one. So what should I be doing to make sure it is installed and the firmware works. Should I instal the firmware to the CF card and then instal the card or do I have to like copy it from the original hd to cf card via coping software(is it called ghosting?)? Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.