Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mywar2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
central Cali.
It was on an antique road show type program... It had an inscription on the back written by woz... Appraised for $10,000!!!!

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
old macs

there is this guy in california who has the oldest mac with the serial number 0001 on the back of it...an article i read in the newspaper years ago and went to see it and it was certainly a curiosity

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Why so cheap?

Seriously, that's not such a great ROI considering how much the machine originally costs. :)

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Missed Opportunity!

Geez, art...

If I would have only known - I saw an ORIGINAL 128k Macintosh on http://www.ebay.co.uk yesterday (and it was a pre-September 1984 model)...

...The guy was selling EVERYTHING!!! And it was in PERFECT condition, including all the original software and manuals. I almost put a bid in myself, but my wife would've had a cow. She thought that £2000 was too excessive for my little Cube last year - I'm still trying to live that one down.

Anyway, it only went for £151...

...What a steal.

There are, however, a few really nice looking Newtons for sale, including a Messagepad 2100 for around £250 with all the extras. Check out http://www.ebay.co.uk if you're interested...

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: Why so cheap?

Originally posted by oldMac
Seriously, that's not such a great ROI considering how much the machine originally costs. :)

The original Macintosh cost $2499. The Lisa, when first released prior to the Mac, cost ~$10,000.

blakespot

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: Re: Why so cheap?

Originally posted by blakespot

The original Macintosh cost $2499. The Lisa, when first released prior to the Mac, cost ~$10,000.
Apparently the Mac IIfx was the most expensive Mac. Also $10,000.

blakespot

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: Missed Opportunity!

Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
There are, however, a few really nice looking Newtons for sale, including a Messagepad 2100 for around £250 with all the extras. Check out http://www.ebay.co.uk if you're interested...

I just got a Newton MP 2100 (not the 2000 upgrade) off of eBay for $105. I'm still amazed... considering I paid $125 for my MP130 just a few months ago...!

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: Re: Re: Why so cheap?

blakespot

Ahh yes... the most my dad ever paid for a computer... along with a 21" monitor, a scanner, upgraded RAM, external 200MB hard drive... all in all, he ended up paying about $25,000 for the whole setup... and six months later, it was outdated. :p

And now we complain about a $2,500 pricetag! Scary...

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: Re: Missed Opportunity!

Originally posted by Hemingray

I just got a Newton MP 2100 (not the 2000 upgrade) off of eBay for $105. I'm still amazed... considering I paid $125 for my MP130 just a few months ago...!
I'd love to get back into the Newton. Sadly, with a serial-port-less Quicksilver and such old sync software, I just don't think I could go back at this point. It was 1999 when I let my MP2000 go. I still wish I had not, but I can't seem to bring myself to grab another one on eBay.

blakespot

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: Re: Re: Missed Opportunity!

I'd love to get back into the Newton. Sadly, with a serial-port-less Quicksilver and such old sync software, I just don't think I could go back at this point. It was 1999 when I let my MP2000 go. I still wish I had not, but I can't seem to bring myself to grab another one on eBay.

blakespot

While I'm still a total newbie to the Newton community, I am looking into options to connect the Newton to Apple's newest computers. So far, I've come up with the Keyspan USB Twin Serial adapter for connections AND I found a Sync program for OS X called Newten 1.1. Haven't been able to use it yet, but it sounds promising!

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Missed Opportunity!

While I'm still a total newbie to the Newton community, I am looking into options to connect the Newton to Apple's newest computers. So far, I've come up with the Keyspan USB Twin Serial adapter for connections AND I found a Sync program for OS X called Newten 1.1. Haven't been able to use it yet, but it sounds promising!
Please post a link for Newten. I'd love to see it.

The Stealth Serial Port is a much better serial solution in that it gives you access to the new G4's built in oldschool serial port, but you have to sacrifice your modem to do it. It is 100% compatible with hardware serial, very much unlike the Keyspan USB->serial solutions.

I had one on an old G3 400 (B&W) and it worked great for setting up an AppleTalk network between my G3 and my Apple IIgs. I may get one for my quicksilver for the same purpose, but adding a Mac Plus into the mix as well.

blakespot

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
Re: damn....

Originally posted by eyelikeart
how I want an original 1984 Macintosh 128!!!

If you have a Deseret Industries by you, then they are super duper mega easy to find. If you don't know what deseret industries is, it is a place where people donate their old stuff, and you can get it for super cheap. I have seen them their before, but they don't have any inscriptions. You can also find lots of other Mac stuff like Personal Laser Writers, Old PowerMacs, StyleWriters, and I eaven heard of someone finding a GeForce2MX in one of the boxes of graphics cards and junk.:eek: (I don't beleive it, but it is definately possible). I wish I could find something like that:(

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Missed Opportunity!

Please post a link for Newten. I'd love to see it.

The Stealth Serial Port is a much better serial solution in that it gives you access to the new G4's built in oldschool serial port, but you have to sacrifice your modem to do it. It is 100% compatible with hardware serial, very much unlike the Keyspan USB->serial solutions.

I had one on an old G3 400 (B&W) and it worked great for setting up an AppleTalk network between my G3 and my Apple IIgs. I may get one for my quicksilver for the same purpose, but adding a Mac Plus into the mix as well.

blakespot

Here ya go:
http://www.panic.com/~stevenf/index.php?node=NewTen

(Thank goodness for ReadMe files, I never would have found that URL again otherwise. :D )

From the web site:

"A KeySpan USB serial adapter and appropriate Mac OS X drivers are required to use NewTen. I've also heard reports that NewTen is compatible with the legacy serial ports built-into older beige Macs, and the Gee Three Stealth serial port, but have not personally confirmed this."

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
this is a pretty useless post, as I am just trying to hit for the cycle...all accessible forum groups last posted on by me LOL.

if you want to take away posts arn, g'head i guess :/ i try to let it be known i could care less about post count anyways.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Re: Re: damn....

Originally posted by me hate windows

If you have a Deseret Industries by you, then they are super duper mega easy to find. If you don't know what deseret industries is, it is a place where people donate their old stuff, and you can get it for super cheap. I have seen them their before, but they don't have any inscriptions. You can also find lots of other Mac stuff like Personal Laser Writers, Old PowerMacs, StyleWriters, and I eaven heard of someone finding a GeForce2MX in one of the boxes of graphics cards and junk.:eek: (I don't beleive it, but it is definately possible). I wish I could find something like that:(

I bought my HP ScanJet IIC at Deseret Industries for $10. Works like a champ.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Ahhh! Blakespot! I am going to have to report you to a moderator! Not only did you double-post, you TRIPLE-posted! Ha ha ha!

:D :D :D

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Missed Opportunity!

Here ya go:
http://www.panic.com/~stevenf/index.php?node=NewTen

(Thank goodness for ReadMe files, I never would have found that URL again otherwise. :D )

From the web site:

"A KeySpan USB serial adapter and appropriate Mac OS X drivers are required to use NewTen. I've also heard reports that NewTen is compatible with the legacy serial ports built-into older beige Macs, and the Gee Three Stealth serial port, but have not personally confirmed this."
I ordered the Stealth Serial Port from GeeThree last night. We'll see how it works out. GeeThree feels it will work with Newten. Again, my main purpose is to get LocalTalk going from my G4 to my Apple IIgs and Mac Plus.

blakespot

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: old macs

Originally posted by networkman
there is this guy in california who has the oldest mac with the serial number 0001 on the back of it...an article i read in the newspaper years ago and went to see it and it was certainly a curiosity

The model # for the original Macintosh series was M0001 since the unit was the first manufacted macintosh ever. This is the model # for the whole series so unless he had the ORIGINAL mac then it's the same as the rest in that series.

Originally posted by mywar2000
It was on an antique road show type program... It had an inscription on the back written by woz... Appraised for $10,000!!!!

There are inscriptions in the inside of all original 128K cases. On the inside of the back panel there is a small Woz signature and in the middle there is a huge Jobs signature. Ironically enough, the huge Jobs signature is obscured but the small Woz sig remains intact. Unless this had a different Woz signature, then it's prob worth <$500 on eBay, even with accessories.

Originally posted by Macmaniac
My friend has Wozniack edition apple 2 in his barn.

These are not worth a whole lot considering that there were 10,000 made starting in '86 and the ROM was a limiting factor for many extended functions. The boards with later ROM revisions fetch more $ on eBay as you can do more with them. Without a patch the ROM 00 on the Woz Apple //'s will even not run GS/OS.

Didn't want to be so negative, but these things pop up on eBay all the time. :)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: Re: Re: Why so cheap?

blakespot

Wait, how much was the TAM? I thought it was just over that retail. I've heard a lot of different figures, but I wasn't paying any attention when it was released, and price breaks came fast...

pnw

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Why so cheap?

Originally posted by paulwhannel

Wait, how much was the TAM? I thought it was just over that retail. I've heard a lot of different figures, but I wasn't paying any attention when it was released, and price breaks came fast...

pnw

http://www.apple-history.com/quickgallery.html?where=aniversary.html

Apple history says $<10K for the TAM. But was still one of the most expensive if not best-looking.
Lisa was not a Mac but was $10K.
IIfx was a Mac— $10k.

These represent the top of their respective niches in the Apple line:
TAM - Table-top luxury
LISA - Multi-tasking GUI Innovation/Implementation
IIfx - "wicked fast"

Hard to think my humble S900 clone sold for close to $5K just a few years ago. I have a list of the most expensive Macs in a Macworld secrets book at work, too bad I don't have it here. The book also shows devaluation of Macs over time. IIfx is like <$50, LISA 1/2 <$1000/$<500, and TAM - <$1500 (estimated eBay values). TAM and LISA are just collectibles now. Mac II series is not really desirable for collecting.

With rampant consumerism in today's computer market, seems hard to believe that people used to spend that much, comparitively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.