Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I've noticed that some people have been a major proponent of the tags as opposed to [IMG] ones for larger images. I think if the former were to be made default it would solve a lot of the problems with images that end up being large enough to make people unnecessarily scroll abouts.

Thoughts?

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
No thoughts because I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about.

An example from another thread.

tags:

[img]http://www.geek.no/_dill/dill2.jpg

tags:

[img]http://www.geek.no/_dill/dill2.jpg

It would help loading times slightly because its only loading the thumbnail image and not the full sized one. The main advantage is that it does make threads like photo ones especially far easier to read.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
An example from another thread.

It would help loading times slightly because its only loading the thumbnail image and not the full sized one. The main advantage is that it does make threads like photo ones especially far easier to read.

actually won't help load times at all, since the full image is loaded, and then scaled down by the user's browser.

The only issue with making it default is it enlarges small images to the same size. It's not "smart". But depending on how often that happens, people could use some new tag like [smallimg] or something which won't scale at all.

arn

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Isn't that exactly what my method does, too? :confused:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004

in theory it would, but since they're just tags, i think it still loads the whole version, just in a thumbnail view.

notice it won't take any longer to load the full size when you click on the thumbnail to view fullsize.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
We've talked about it, but one problem, as arn points out, is that also scales up larger images:

4q6kbr5.gif

becomes

4q6kbr5.gif

If we can fix that issue, I would be in favor of implementing it.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
I don't know about the techno aspects, load speeds being affected and all, but for the simple asthetics of one particular thread, it seems it would be nice to have a smaller, uniform image size which could be enlarged with a click, according to personal interest. I don't visit Pic of the day anymore. It's contents are fab, but the huge display and image sizes are cumbersome. Obligatory IMO.

Thanks for bringing it back up, vniow.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I don't know about the techno aspects, load speeds being affected and all, but for the simple asthetics of one particular thread, it seems it would be nice to have a smaller, uniform image size which could be enlarged with a click, according to personal interest. I don't visit Pic of the day anymore. It's contents are fab, but the huge display and image sizes are cumbersome. Obligatory IMO.

Thanks for bringing it back up, vniow.

same thing here. i can't read that thread. hurts to. but it has some wonderful stuff in there.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I love the TIMG feature (and have been using it myself for a while on larger images) but I wouldn't like to see it as default unless that scaling up issue is resolved. It may not help load times but it makes browsing on a small-medium sized laptop much easier. side-scroll is pants.

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex, UK
rather then implementing a whole new MOD into this...cant we just change the old one? so like if(width<500) or (height<300) then scale..?

dno really just a thought. also while where updating the images part..how about including a lightbox type plugin, so it doesnt open each picture that you click in a new window, but rather an ajax overlay..?

:)

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
the majority of inserted images i've come across lately need to be scaled down... i personally think it makes more sense for TIMG to be the default (since most images need that) and if your image doesn't need a TIMG tag... you could simply change it to IMG.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.