Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Did you get the desk and the shelves at IKEA? If not where? I really like them! :)

All IKEA...the desk is bit of a recycling job. The lower part is a computer table they used to sell, then the part with the monitor/speakers on it is part of my old IKEA TV stand (which wouldn't hold my current TV) with a set of legs. You could probably make a similar combination today with a rectangular tabletop with the Vika Curry legs and a smaller oblong tabletop on some adjustable legs.

The shelves are part of the Norrebo storage system.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Galant desk:

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 925

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
and a garbage pale too :)

Yeah, I actually had the Ikea bin before I got the Mac, but coincidentally it looks like the OS X trash icon. :)

The desk lamp is Ikea as well, but they don't make that model any more - they still do a similar one though.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I've furnished my last three apartments almost entirely from IKEA. Some things have definitely been better than others, but its the only place to get clean looking designs without paying an utter fortune.

I had a Malm bed, which was very nice. I've never used a box spring, and found it quite comfy. Their Jerker desks are very stable.

Good stuff.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
We just (well, a few weeks ago) finished up our living room. 95% of it is from Ikea... even though the closest one is 2 hours away. :p

511634798_b504de2cc1_o.jpg

511634786_4431f3e0b5_o.jpg

Our Office is also 90% Ikea, but I don't have any shots of that handy..

itsallinurhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2007
Southern California
Their customer service is nothing amazing, but the staff were at least a little helpful when I went. I got a JONAS desk:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7250/dsc0104jpgaw9.jpg[img]

It's actually really well put together (by meeee), and pretty sturdy. Looks the bees knees tho imo...[/QUOTE]

Was there also a set of drawers under the desk? Did you remove them or something?

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
i forgot about this thread :) my move-in to the new apartment is in 2 weeks and:

after getting on a malm and "simulating" some nocturnal activities we decided to go for something better and ended up with the Pathway bed from Crate+Barrel:

PathwayBedQueenBrnzflpF6

but we are still going to get a few Ikea PS metal cabinets in red:

54250_PE158397_S3.jpg

at least one expidit bookshelf in black/brown:

31260_PE120476_S3.jpg

and i need to get a desk, which since the large jerker i wanted to get is now discontinued will end up being a galant desk:

22556_PE119618_S3.jpg

NightFlight

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Virginia
I've always had good experiences with IKEA, the customer service people are always friendly and helpful. It helps to know what what to expect from the experience when you get there. If you go in expecting some upper-class boutique where you lounge on a chaise, order stuff from a fancily-dressed bachelor and have the proletariat deliver it fully assembled to your maison while you sip a dry martini on the lanai....you are just asking for disappointment.

This is funny and very true! I don't understand what v-aults problem is.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, my entire room at home and at school is 100% IKEA. I love everything in that store with a passion!

Have you all ever had the Swedish Meatballs and Daim Torte?!? My goodness, sometimes I go there just for the food!!! :)

IKEA FTW!

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
I can't wait for the new IKEA in Colorado. It's a pity they discontinued the Jerker series though, because it was cheap, simple, elegant, (and the desk I was going to get ;)).

But anyway, once I save up some dough and they get one out here, I'm planning on:

Malm Twin Bed
Galant Desk
Misc. Storage/Lamps

NickD

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Don't the Galant desks have that corner curve thing?

They come in a corner or straight configuration and a couple of sizes (see here). I like the corner style but it's just too big for my office!

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Oh, cool, I didn't know. It probably changed since the last time I got a galant.
IKEA furniture looks great, but some of it feels cheaply made (not a bad thing, because it's still solid enough to be reliable, and it doesn't cost that much $$). The desks, however, are extremely solid. My entire room is from IKEA, and the desk is the best made piece.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
We just (well, a few weeks ago) finished up our living room. 95% of it is from Ikea... even though the closest one is 2 hours away. :p
<pics>
Our Office is also 90% Ikea, but I don't have any shots of that handy..
Love what you've done with it, but you might wanna organize those cables. Also, if you have any free time, I would paint the walls if i was you.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Love what you've done with it, but you might wanna organize those cables. Also, if you have any free time, I would paint the walls if i was you.
We don't have much choice with the cables. We live in an apartment, so we can't flush 'em into the wall like we would if we lived in a house. Still not too bad for a college pad.

And the walls are painted, though the color didn't come through too well in the photographs. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the color at all, but such is the way when live with someone else and can't make the decisions on your own..

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
Ooh, I loves me some Expedit. And who am I kidding, 99.9% of everything else at IKEA.

Let's have a MacRumors IKEA meetup!!!!!! OMGZ.

hofnar

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Here's my setup...

I recently just boyght the MALM bed frame for my new place in New York City, i got it in black/d dark brown. Whatever they called it. Sadly I thought the side table had to be put in the wall so I didnt get it, I settled for a MALM chest with 2 drawers at my nightstand (in black too), but now I wish I got the Malm side table instead. They dont have in black on their website though, so that makes me think it will be discontinued.

I also thought about a Galant desk, but I settled for the fredrik instead.

Attachments

• 57058_PE162623_S3.jpg
    57058_PE162623_S3.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 11,649
  • 73000_PE189255_S3.jpg
    73000_PE189255_S3.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 11,629
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.