Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

PopularMechanics has video and details of Microsoft's new "Surface Computing"

Gattis took out a digital camera and placed it on the Surface. Instantly, digital pictures spilled out onto the tabletop. As Gattis touched and dragged each picture, it followed his fingers around the screen. Using two fingers, he pulled the corners of a photo and stretched it to a new size. Then, Gattis put a cellphone on the surface and dragged several photos to it — just like that, the pictures uploaded to the phone. It was like a magic trick. He was dragging and dropping virtual content to physical objects. I'm not often surprised by new technology, but I can honestly say I'd never seen anything like it.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
A video was posted not to long ago demo'ing this from MS already.

This is like Jeff Han kind of stuff, again, nothing THAT original from MS.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Interesting concept. But now I have to stay in my living room simply working with photos and such? Will it ever see a mainstream use? We will see. Always like seeing new ideas. So that is a good thing.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Wow.

Is this an actual soon-to-be-shipping product or just another concept video ala Jeff Han?

It would be interesting to know who started on this first. Both the iPhone and this "surface computing" concept were likely years in development, so it's not necessarily as simple as "Gasp! They copied iPhone!"

glennsan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Midwest USA
A video was posted not to long ago demo'ing this from MS already.

This is like Jeff Han kind of stuff, again, nothing THAT original from MS.

Wonder what the price is? The "computer" looks like one big flat panel touch surface display. Wireless connection perhaps?

Glennsan

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
I'm quite taken away.

Well done Microsoft!

*shoots self multiple times*

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
The touchscreen technology battle just got a whole lot more heated. Kind of.

I'm curious to see how it is technically different from that Han? guy and Apple.

Notably, this is costly and not designed for home use.

-=|Mgkwho

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
so how do you shuffle the cards for solitaire?

(it's cool, but not revolutionary... and beaten to unveiling by the iphone)

I'll amend this to say as soon as it can not only interact with your wireless devices but also charge them at the same time without plugging them in, it'll get very interesting indeed - especially for places like hotels that could put them in rooms and offer complete wireless connectivity for guests without having to bring "that certain" cable from home to plug it in.

cue the Tesla posts about wireless power etc...

sakjosep

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2007
so it's a glorified touch-kiosk?

yea I'm really blown away and thinking differently about technology now

oh boy guys instead of a monitor at eye level or a mobile computer i can have a screen on my table! yes this is the answer to my problems

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Does it do anything else?

Photos from a digital camera "spill" out on the surface and then you can drag the photos to a phone where they are magically uploaded... is that it?

If I put a soda that's gone flat on this magical surface, can I drag some fizz to it???:D

Oh wait, 5 - 10K and not for home users...

Nevermind...:rolleyes:

UPDATE

I was just kidding about the soda crack but, just saw the video and they did put a soda on top of it, except the fizz was bubling away from the drink! WAH!!!

Kinda interesting. Thing is BIG. Won't go over to well for those screaming for Apple to bring back the 12"MBP...

I don't think I'd have that as a coffee table or kitchen counter... That is as stupid a suggestion as the Administration saying that "tourism" will be one of the ways that the spending for the war in Iraq will be collected back...

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
Wow, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually proud of Microsoft. They've managed to do something innovative (although they did have a lot of help from Jeff Hahn). The interface appears to be very intuitive.

casik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2007
Alberta
interesting... could be a fun toy thats for sure, but lets hope that they do it right... who wants a coffee table that could get a virus? if they spend a good amount of time on this one and develop it so it truly is as easy as it looks that would be fun.

Sandfleaz

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Does i have a removable battery?

is it 3g capable?

Can you get it through Verizon?

.....Oh nevermind this is another product :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.