Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Best WesTurn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Is there a program where I can backup my entire iPod, playlists and all. I want to maintain the playlists. Im not concerned with pulling individual songs and importing them in iTunes, i have all my songs in iTunes. I just dont want to lose my playlists on the iPod. A program that will make maybe an image file and then i can restore the ipod and go back and import that image into the iPod and it will pick up right where i left off with playlists and all? I know Senuti will import my songs but not the playlists, which like i said i have all the songs already in iTunes.
Any help will be appreciated.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Is there a program where I can backup my entire iPod, playlists and all?

Yes, that programm is called iTunes. :D

It gives you all the power to organize your music. I suggest to backup your iTunes Music Library and iTunes Library files inside the User/Music/iTunes folder on a regular basis. It contains all the playlist and playcount information.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
I'm not sure why that wasn't helpful.

When you backup itunes using... Itunes, it saves a copy of your playlists. That way if anything bad happens to your ipod (or worse, your computer) you just restore the playlists and they'll sync up.

Best WesTurn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
because i dont have the playlists set up on my itunes they are only setup on my ipod. All my music isnt on my ipod. I have my music backed up. im not talking about my iTunes library, its backedup and safe. Im talking about my iPod. Every so often i would like to take a snapshot of my iPod, not iTunes.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
I'm not sure to understand how you manage your music. While your iPod is connected to your computer, you edit the playlists on the iPod, is that right? I wasn't even aware of that possibilty. :eek:

How about copying these playlists back to iTunes? Is that possible?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You can make on-the-go playlists on your iPod but I believe they're imported back into iTunes. Still, if you backup iTunes then you've backed up your iPod.

Best WesTurn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
correct. I have the playlists only on my iPod. I have nothing but the giant library on my computer. I have it set to manually manage my music so it doesnt update everytime. If i copied the play lists to my iTunes it would duplicate all the songs in my library, which i definately dont want. I would like a solution that doesnt really involve iTunes.
What i would like to do open a program point it to the iPod, click make backup, store that file away on an external harddrive. Then when and if i need the file, i open said program back up click restore ipod, and point it to that file. iPod becomes restored, everyone is happy.

Best WesTurn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
or say this for instance, not that i have a second iPod but if i did. I dont have any playlists setup inside itunes. Say i wanted to have exactly the same thing on 2 different ipods. I could just restore the empty ipod with the backup from the other and i now have 2 ipods identical.
Say for me and my wife or something.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You'd still need to go through iTunes or a third-party program to add files to the iPod though. It's not a 1:1 file hierarchy. iTunes makes folders and renames files when it puts music onto the iPod. Just dropping your music back or anything new won't conform to it.

or say this for instance, not that i have a second iPod but if i did. I dont have any playlists setup inside itunes. Say i wanted to have exactly the same thing on 2 different ipods. I could just restore the empty ipod with the backup from the other and i now have 2 ipods identical.
Say for me and my wife or something.
Does anyone know if iPod cloning works?

Best WesTurn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Yes because i have Senuti which is a free ipod ripper for mac and it doest support ripping playlists. It says you can pull playlists, but all you are really doing is importing the songs in that particular playlist back into your library. All my songs are already in iTunes, so it will make a duplicate.

Quote from Senuti's site
"How can I recreate all of my playlists?
Senuti doesn't have perfect support for recreating playlists at this point. If you copy two playlists that have the same song in them, the song will be added to iTunes twice. If all of your playlists have unique songs, then copy the playlists to iTunes first (using the drag and drop method for playlists), then relaunch Senuti and copy the songs from your library that aren't in iTunes by using Senuti's Hide Songs in iTunes feature (from the file menu)."

miriamnz

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2007
The only way I have found is to duplicate the playlists in iTunes, in its own iPod folder. It's not great, as you still have to manually create and name each playlist on the iPod, but at least you can then just drag across all the songs that belong in it. Having multiple IPod crashes, reconstructing my playing environment on the iPod has become a regular tedium.

Regards
Miriam

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.