Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
hello to all,

i was thinking about buying an iPod Shuffle for snowboarding. I never enjoy taking my 30gb because it fails at the low temps versus the flash-based. A nano would work, but in case of losing/breaking it, i'd rather only be out $80.

I just have one question though. Is it possible to shuffle playlists only, rather than all songs? For example, if i have a Reggae playlist, a Rock playlist, and a Audiobook playlist, i'd like to be able to play the Reggae music ONLY. I'd hate for it to flip from Reggae to an Audiobook.

thanks for replying.
cz

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
No, on the shuffle you can two choices: the play one playlist in order, or to play one playlist shuffling the songs. That's it. You can skip and stuff though.

Also, if you are only going to really use it for snowboarding, you might want to check out the refurbished shuffles (second generation, colors) for $49. :)

I personally own a Blue Shuffle and I love it. I never use my old 30GB Photo anymore. It sits in the iHome in my room.

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
No, on the shuffle you can two choices: the play one playlist in order, or to play one playlist shuffling the songs. That's it. You can skip and stuff though.

Also, if you are only going to really use it for snowboarding, you might want to check out the refurbished shuffles (second generation, colors) for $49. :)

I personally own a Blue Shuffle and I love it. I never use my old 30GB Photo anymore. It sits in the iHome in my room.

wait, maybe im reading it wrong, but you're saying i CAN shuffle songs in ONE playlist, right? What if I have multiple playlists?

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
NY
You're beginning to confuse me now :confused: . As far as I know you cannot have multiple playlists on a Shuffle because there is no screen lol. I used to put all my music into playlists on my nano, but that was because I had the ability to go to Music>Playlists>Playlist X>Song Y. How could you possibly choose which playlist to play with a shuffle? So, as far as I know, no, you cannot have multiple playlists on a shuffle. You can in iTunes, but once they get transfered to the shuffle it's going to be one big playlist of songs. I would definitely go for the $49 refurb shuffle, especially if you're going to be snowboarding with it. :D

mechamac

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2003
Think of a Shuffle as one playlist. All the music on the Shuffle is one playlist. You can play that playlist in order, or shuffled. There are no multiple playlists on a Shuffle.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah what you'd have to do would be create those playlists in iTunes, then copy a playlist over when you wanted to listen to it. Kind of annoying because you have to decide before you hit the hills which you want. You could also just create one big playlist that has all of the music on it, then just skip ahead or back to different points in the long list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.