Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ananke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Over the past month or so my imac has been experiencing random shut downs. Started out with the fan turning on and getting very loud and then the computer would just shut down. I took some precautions and stopped using my computer if the ambient room temperature exceeded 78 degrees. I also opened up the back panel and cleaned out the dust. Unfortunately that did not solve the problem.

Now my computer will start up only some of the time and randomly quit – sometimes it quits after a minute or two some times I can get as much as fifteen or twenty minutes of use from my computer. When I opened up the panel I did not observe leaking or bulging capacitors. I called apple support and was informed that the model preceding mine is covered and the 20 in. version of my model is covered, but my 17in model is not covered under either repair extension program: http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/imac.html – even though my computer seems to be exhibiting the classic systems of a power supply failure.

Has anyone else with this particular model of imac encountered these problems?

I have been a loyal apple user since the mid 90’s and over all have been satisfied with apple’s products, but their reluctance to acknowledge and their leisurely response in addressing the imac g5 problems have forced me to reconsider.

I posted this exact same message on apple's discussion forums and it's been removed - twice! I wonder why?

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
Yes in 3 macbooks and a imac...... I also have been with mac for 20 years, I have gone back to a PC laptop, because of the issues, NO QC APPLE! Funny i posted that i switched back, and now i am a troll....whatever........

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
bring it into an Apple Store. If it's the power supply, they'll probably do right by you.

Sniff the vent on the bottom... do you smell a slight burning smell?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I have a 17" ALS. It's been good so far.... How much dust was in yours when you opened it up? I've had intermittent crashes on it... I guess it's crashed a few more times than my iBook, although I do different things on it. It's also been through at least two or three power outages.

AppleMan101

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
when you cleaned out the dust, did you get out all the dust in the crack just above the bottom of the case? use a vacuum for that.

ananke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2007
I cleaned the dust out pretty thoroughly - there was quite a bit. I ended up opening up the case and running the imac in order to observe the led lights. The lights seemed to indicate that all was well, but the power supply got EXTREMELY hot after only about 5 minutes, so I think I’m going to just replace the power supply myself and hope that was the only problem (no bulging or leaking capacitors at least). I know that some people have taken the imac (rev b 17”) to an apple store and been successful in getting the power supply replaced under the extended warranty. But it looks easy enough to do and I don’t feel like dealing with the hassle. Already got frustrated enough dealing with apple on the phone :(

Thanks for the replies!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.