Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tyler62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
First of all, I just want to let you all know that all my life I have been a Windows user, so I am very new to all this Apple stuff. I recently used a new iMac and just fell in love. My uncle recently purchased a new iMac and passed his old Power Mac G3 on to me. I also want to let you know that I am a college student, so I can't get the things I want just by buying a new computer. I have an idea of what I want done to it, bud I have no idea what to do, how to do it, and where to get the things I need.

I was just wondering if you guys could offer any help with bringing my computer up to date. I would like to upgrade the processor(currently 300mhz), so it is faster, add memory, possibly get a new hard drive, get a internal DVD burner, use Mac OS 10 Tiger, and use high speed internet. So, if at all possible, help me upgrade my G3!

Thank you so much in advance,
Tyler

grafikat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2003
If you must upgrade your g3, visit Other World Computing (macsales.com). THey have quite a few processor upgrades available. You may also want to look at getting a refurbished intel based mac, if you still need to run windows apps.

Cheers

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
I was just wondering if you guys could offer any help with bringing my computer up to date. I would like to upgrade the processor(currently 300mhz), so it is faster, add memory, possibly get a new hard drive, get a internal DVD burner, use Mac OS 10 Tiger, and use high speed internet. So, if at all possible, help me upgrade my G3!

Unfortunately, your core computer system will still be the weakest link. With your plan, you are basically replacing more parts than you are keeping.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
If you must upgrade your g3, visit Other World Computing (macsales.com). THey have quite a few processor upgrades available. You may also want to look at getting a refurbished intel based mac, if you still need to run windows apps.

Cheers

Agreed- the first thing you'll want to do is upgrade the processor to a G4 if you can afford it. Upgrading the video card will help as well as a new hard drive, but now you're getting into a price range that may be prohibitive for you.

My advice is to look for a cheap used G4 tower or G4 laptop. In all honesty, you'll spend less money than you would on upgrades at this point. While upgrading any computer is always fun, it's also usually expensive. I don't think upgrading the G3 is worth it for you to be quite honest. Even though you're cash-strapped, your best bet is to sell it on Ebay or something similar and look for a computer that's a bit more capable. I think you'll only get frustrated and spend too much trying to upgrade the G3.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
Spending any money on a used G3 is pointless. The technology is so out of date that you'd be throwing good money after bad. If you can't use the computer as-is for doing stuff like email or writing term papers, then you might as well use it for a doorstop.

Like other posters have said, you can get a more current (but used) computer for a lot less than what you would pay to upgrade your G3.

Tyler62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Thank you for your quick responses. I have been looking at ebay, and I like the looks of the iMac G4. How do you think this machine will fit my needs? Is there any other places besides ebay that you know of where I might be able to sell the G3?
Thanks,
Tyler

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Thank you for your quick responses. I have been looking at ebay, and I like the looks of the iMac G4. How do you think this machine will fit my needs? Is there any other places besides ebay that you know of where I might be able to sell the G3?
Thanks,
Tyler

If you list the complete specs and post some pics w/ a reasonable price, someone here or over at MacNN might buy it :)

or sell it locally if your area has a craigslist.

I also agree that you would do better to sell the G3 and get something more recent, from a value/investment standpoint. While fun as a tinkering project, upgrading old G3's is NOT like upgrading old windows machines, you cant just walk into the local mom&pop computer shop & start buying $1-5 parts & expect to walk out with everything you need for less than $50 :)

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I agree with what's been said. I've been through a few B/W G3's (typing this on one now) and they're just not worth putting the money into. Every G3 that I've owned I've gotten free, and each would require about $300+ in upgrades to be a viable machine (and even that's just for use as a file server/print server, etc). Just not worth the cash.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Thanks,
Tyler

The iMac G4 is a decent computer, and should be OK. You might still do better with a used G4 tower. Look at used eMacs as well.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
You're better off buying a used G4 either locally or on eBay.

I've seen some 400-500 MHz and 466MHz G4s go on eBay for under 100 +/- shipping.

Go for a 466 or 533 if possible, as they have the faster 133 MHz bus speed and the AGP 4X slot.

Then just find yourself a el-cheapo PC card and flash it to a Mac card for Quartz Extreme, you can find more info at http://strangedogs.wikispaces.com/

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
You're better off ebaying it and then buying a mini or something, upgrades for old macs are very expencive, for the amount of money i've put into my cube over the years I could have bought a new mac mini a couple of times.

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
NY
Yea, by the time you start doing processor upgrades, RAM upgrades and all that good stuff, you're going to be looking at dishing out the same amount of money you could get a refurb Mac for. I recently got a hold of a Power Mac G3 (see sig), and for me it's kind of a "backup" or family use computer. It's a capable machine for the simple stuff, but it wouldn't be worth dumping a ton of money into. If you're not looking to do much more than basic computing tasks, you may want to consider keeping the Power Mac, popping some RAM in, a bigger HDD, and OS X, it'll do the simple stuff. If not, the iMac G4 is a nice computer, or keep your eyes open for a Power Mac G4 or eMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.