Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Ok, so I have a MacBook Pro but I am really interested in buying a used PowerMac G5 as a secondary workstation. I need some help deciding on how much I should spend and what configuration I should get. I run a small photography business so I would be running very light use of Aperture but lots of Adobe CS3. I am not interested in just buying an external display for my MacBook Pro, I want the tower.

So the real question.

What kind of configuration do I need and how much should I be spending for it? Take into consideration that I am only 16 and do not have tons of money to blow away.

Thanks a lot,
Aaron
:apple:

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
I already ruled out an iMac with help from another member.

Well, it'd be faster than a PowerMac G5. Sure, you can't expand that much, but you said to take into account that you're "16 and do not have tons of money to blow away." You can always expand externally, which would probably be a good idea anyway since you have a portable also.

But, a suggestion is just a suggestion. good luck.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Well, it'd be faster than a PowerMac G5. Sure, you can't expand that much, but you said to take into account that you're "16 and do not have tons of money to blow away." You can always expand externally, which would probably be a good idea anyway since you have a portable also.

But, a suggestion is just a suggestion. good luck.

Your suggestion was good it is that the iMac does not have a perfect display for photography, I can get my own monitor with a G5.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Dual G4 Powermacs are going in the $300-500 range on my local craigslist. Those are not slow machines at all. And you can add a video card, extra hard drives, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.