Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
With pausing of live TV, weeeeeee!

http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=solutions_converters_studiodvtv

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/06/02/formac/
solutions_studiotvr_14.jpg
solutions_studiotvr_09.jpg
solutions_studiotvr_08.jpg

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
Re: Formac announces next generation PVR box

Originally posted by vniow
With pausing of live TV, weeeeeee!

"when your a kid and you want to go weeeeee! but you aint got drugs yet..."

sweet! i've been putting off buying one of these for too long. i've got to say, that is the prettiest one of the bunch. decent price, too (considering it doubles as DV bridge)

ozubahn

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2003
Connecticut
Does anyone know if this thing would work in Japan? I know that both Japan and the US use NTSC, but are the tuners compatible? The Formac website doesn't seem to have international information. Thanks. :)

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Er... this is not exactly something you'd use for home PVR applications. Why? Because it stores in DV format. Try 12GB or so per hour of content. Unless you're so loaded down with cash that you can plug this thing directly into a fully loaded Xserve RAID, you're not gonna get a lot of TV stored.

iMook

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2003
It's way too cutesy for me. I'd much rather have a replayTV or a Sony DVR. Not to spread stereotypes, but this is something that has great potential in Japan where cutesy stuff is all the rage.
It'll really turn off people who are into an industrial look, though.

I'm a PC guy, so I don't know much about what's available for Macs, but I'd spring for a TV-tuner-capable graphics card. (a la Radeon All-In-Wonder)

esp. since DirecTiVo and one other company (I think replayTV) are developing HD PVR's with 250+ GB of storage. I'll be waiting for one of those.

I think Gelfin is right. DV is EXTREMELY taxing on your storage capability. I don't think this'll get off the ground unless it can store video in smaller format.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
Originally posted by iMook
...I'm a PC guy, so I don't know much about what's available for Macs, but I'd spring for a TV-tuner-capable graphics card. (a la Radeon All-In-Wonder)
I think Gelfin is right. DV is EXTREMELY taxing on your storage capability. I don't think this'll get off the ground unless it can store video in smaller format.

the ati all-in-wonder is the only thing that really gives me pc envy. that is a really cool idea, and it's something that benefits all sorts of users.

i didn't realize there wasn't an internal HD. (?) standard DV compression is way too big for tv recording. thats a pretty big downside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.