Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
I have the opportunity to pick up an old used TiBook with a dead HD for not too much. And I happen to have a spare notebook drive laying around, so I figured I'd turn it into a jukebox machine or something. Or maybe just sell it. Or whatever.

Is the ram upgradeable? (I already have to open it up to replace the drive, so I can do the ram at the same time if necessary.) If so, how much will it take? I have two 1GB sticks from a G4 aluminum powerbook sitting around; will those work (even just one)?

Is there a limit to HD size that I can put in (not the physical size)?

falsecathedrals

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
I have a 1ghz titanium powerbook, 4.5 years old and still going...
When I bought it, everything was maxed out by apples standards. I have 1 gig of ram (2x512) and a 60gig hard drive. At the time, I doubt they made a bigger hard drive so you may be able to put one in. I dont think more than 1 gig of ram will work though.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The RAM is upgradeable to 1 Gb with 2 x 512 Mb PC133 SODIMMs.
The hard drive is an IDE type.
It's moderately easy to put the hard drive in, you need a tiny Torx driver, #8 I think, and maybe a #10. You have to watch carefully how the shields, CD and latch parts go back together.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
As someone who has upgraded the HD in both of my TiBooks, you only need the torx to get into the DVIs or newer. You can easily remove the screws on the HD with a pair of needle-nose pliers. You can also upgrade the optical drive to a SuperDrive DL. Unfortunately you can't upgrade anything else, except the battery by buying a higher capacity one.

TEG

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
Thanks guys. Looks like its worth grabbing. I don't know how much ram it comes with, but I should find out this afternoon hopefully. The ram looks like its the expensive point; it isn't worth dumping another $200 in ram into it to get it up to 1GB. Maybe I can find some used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.