Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jng

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
Last time I am ever buying anything from Office Max....

So my stupid chair doesn't raise anymore. When I first got it, it did that too. I sorta slide the inner most tube either all the way up or down and it started to work.

I've had it at the lowest setting for weeks now. Now I want my chair higher (I just bought a griffin elevator) and I can't get it high.

Any ideas clever MR folks?

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
Get a new one? Really all my chairs that have that problem usually get replaced, it just bugs the hell outta me...

jng

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
Why would you try to do that to a chair?

I bought it for my MBP. :confused:

Stupid chair. I'd buy a new one, but I'm moving in two months. Guess I'm stuck with it.

Get a better quality chair

I had a much nicer chair from staples, which is now 4 years old and still goes up and down fine. I had it in storage and my father stole it (ok not really, by storage I mean his office/business). So I replaced it with a cheaper thing from office max. Oh well, lesson learned.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Do the ol' switcheroo, buy another one (same one) and then return the faulty one with the new receipt.

jng

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
Do the ol' switcheroo, buy another one (same one) and then return the faulty one with the new receipt.

That would require taking it apart and it was a pain in the arse to put it together. And I'd have to return an open box, which they might not be too thrilled with.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
That would require taking it apart and it was a pain in the arse to put it together. And I'd have to return an open box, which they might not be too thrilled with.

Well it doesn't really matter if they're thrilled with it or not, tell them you bought it and it doesn't go up and down. They'll take it back. But if you don't want to go through that trouble, that's your call.

jng

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
But if you don't want to go through that trouble, that's your call.

I'm lazy. :p

Plus I'm moving (across the ocean) in two months. So I'll just throw out the stupid chair and buy a new one (not from Office Max) altogether.

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
I have to do this to my chair at work every few weeks. Put your feet over the legs of the chair(stand on it). Grab the part you sit on, and pull up really, really hard. You might want to hold up the handle that you used to use to adjust your chair before it broke.

Try not to hurt yourself in the process.

jng

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
I have to do this to my chair at work every few weeks. Put your feet over the legs of the chair(stand on it). Grab the part you sit on, and pull up really, really hard. You might want to hold up the handle that you used to use to adjust your chair before it broke.

Genius! It worked. Thanks!

Throw it in the rubbish and get one of these instead....

http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/SSA/Product/1,1592,a10-c440-p8,00.html

I wish I had that kind of money. They're expensive! Although my friend's mom bought one from an auction once cheap. They are indeed amazing.

ramonchis

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2015
The Woodlands

Worked like a champ! Thanks so much!

Lootalot

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Worked like a champ! Thanks so much!

If you have a office chair that will not go high or sinks when using it. Then don't worry here is a easy fix. First measure from the top of your wheels or Base up to the bottom of the seat . Then get a old piece of tubing that will go over the centre where the rod goes upto the seat simply cut tubing down one side and pop it over the rod then wrap a bit of tape around tubing this will stop it going down and keep your chair at max height. I have done this to my favourite chair that I have had for 6 years

royc

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2018

It worked!!! Thank you sooooo much. You are sooooo genius!!!!!!!

SessionExpired

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2019

[doublepost=1547867933][/doublepost]i cant believe this actually works thumbs up!

daniel046

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2019
CA, USA
The office chair does go up or down because of the faulty gas cylinder or lift mechanism. You have to fix the lift handle and other lift accessories very well.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Who knew on our very own forum we had such intellect. I bow to you!

/s

:p
Here's the HomeKit automation for that:

201px-Sipping_Bird.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.