Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
The deal comes against the backdrop of dwindling demand for handheld devices. Both companies posted losses in the latest quarter and are projecting mounting losses in the current quarter

This is why Apple has no PDA.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Exactly. As much time as I've wasted belly-aching about Apple not building a PDA, I tend to look at the whole issue under the umbrella of "Spend it like its your money". In other words, would I have gambled millions on the R&D, the marketing, etc.?

In a word: No.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
that is kind of sad. my first (and only) PDA was a visor deluxe. Matched my graphite mac stuff...
ah well. pda's are kind of useless anyway. yr right about apple, though. why throw yr hat into a ring this small?

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
I have a Handspring Platinum and at the time I bought it, it was much, much cheaper than a Palm. It serves as an address book and a place to store passwords to websites and at work. If I were to buy a more elaborate model, I think I'd choose an iBook instead.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
An iBook isn't portable enough to take on trips for email and note-taking and outlining and trip finances and other things. A PDA is much cheaper, too.

Why should Apple offer a PDA when elementary PDA functions can be had on the iPod? Or many a cellphone has PDA features?

I hope that Palm will continue the Springboard slot technology, as there really isn't anything to replace it.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Anybody wants to buy my Handspring Deluxe? :(

I was so excited when they came out (was fed up with 3com's and later Palms prices, look). It offered an MP3 module before most people memorized this buzzword from Regis and Kelly. and GPS and games. I actually felt they could topple Palm, but alas...

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Who needs organizers anyway?! I think we should get rid of the stupid things because they're useless.

Now let's party y'all, it's Friday night, which means I'm sleeping in tomorrow! Yee-Haw!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.