Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
My ProMouse is acting up :mad:

The pointer movement is all jerky and the light at the bottom shuts off randomly (so it doesn't move at all.)

Anyone know how to fix this? Anyway to open it up without breaking it?

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Sorry, man. I dumped that goofy mouse the day I bought my G4 Quicksilver. Bought a Logitech two button instead, and that's my recommendation to ya. The Apple "Pro" mouse is a crappy piece of equipment for any real power user.

I'm sure that's not what you wanna hear, but...

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Yeah, it's a little wussy in terms of features, but I really like the way it fits in my hand. I also paid a lot for it so I don't want to trash it just yet.

When I do real work though, I plug in the Wacom tablet. I can't image do illustration with a mouse (though tried with the puck-mouse back in the day.)

altivec 2003

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Texas
Re: ProMouse screwy

Originally posted by 5300cs
My ProMouse is acting up :mad:

The pointer movement is all jerky and the light at the bottom shuts off randomly (so it doesn't move at all.)

Anyone know how to fix this? Anyway to open it up without breaking it?
The same thing happened to my dad, and he thought it was a system crash and blamed me :rolleyes:. Well, in the case of my dad, it is a short occuring in the line to the mouse. Your best bet is to get a new one under your warranty and all. If you are lucky you wont have to pay at all, but you might be mac-less for awhile. Fortunately for my dad, he still had an old "puck" from his previous g4. Hope this is of use :)

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
That sucks:mad: I paid good money for this thing.

But it would make sense, the red light at the bottom keeps shutting off.

And I've got only noteboooks so I won't be out of action ;)

Groovsonic

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2002
Near Chicago, Illinois
I had the same thing happen to my promouse that came with my iMac. I thought there was something wrong with my computer. Turns out there was a short in the mouse. I bought a wireless mouse with a scrollwheel to replace it. I liked the one-button apple mouse, but it was too expensive to replace with another one.

altivec 2003

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Texas
Originally posted by 5300cs
That sucks:mad: I paid good money for this thing.

But it would make sense, the red light at the bottom keeps shutting off.

And I've got only noteboooks so I won't be out of action ;)
It could be under warranty. You should check. You might also try stopping by an apple store or radio shack to see if they can try to fix it.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
they won't be able to fix it...i've had two pro-mouses go bad on me. i'm still under apple 1-year warranty so they just sent me new ones. and a new keyboard since it happened twice and each mouse shorted out.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Originally posted by altivec 2003
It could be under warranty. You should check. You might also try stopping by an apple store or radio shack to see if they can try to fix it.

If there was one here, I would :( closest one is 8,000miles away in California. Still there's a Mac specialty store downtown I can go to.

I don't have the receipt, but I have the box. Wonder if they'd still replace it...

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
It's a short in that flimsy usb cord. It happened to my mom. She wasn't too upset, though. She was looking for an excuse to buy the Kensington Turbo Mouse Pro. But I still love the apple pro mouse. Short on features, but a great mouse.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
apple replaces them for free under warranty. ive gotten 3 mice. all shipped same day and arrived next day. i give them out to friends and family.

also if your mouse is old, you should know apple has changed the cord so it doesnt break.

ZeeOwl

macrumors member
May 31, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC, Canada.
Here's my 2¢

That's strange. I have 2 Pro Mice. The one that came with my flat-panel iMac, and the one I talked myself into buying for my Blue & White G3 the day I picked up the iMac. :D

Both have been getting heavy use for about 8 months now, and no problems so far.

Yeah, get a new one under warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.