Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iroganai

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2003
To Those who fear Leopard might not run on 32 bit machines

There's absolutely nothing to fear about.
Just think of Leopard as a four-way Universal binary, not just ppc and intel,
but ppc32, ppc64, intel32, intel64.

In fact Tiger already has the ability; it's only that Apple doesn't ship ppc64/intel64 API for the GUI stuff in Tiger. The announcement today just means they'll ship the Leopard OS in the four-way Universal binary.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Ichat should still have screen sharing. When Jobs was showing the finder off, he clicked on everything, and when he clicked on the macs a button appeared saying, "Share screen." I assume it would share through Ichat's bonjour. So Ichat should still allow screen sharing.

Good to note, I just hope it's more than bonjour becasue the real benefit to me would be over the internet to help family and friends. Maybe the framework and stuff for the remote help is built into OS X somewhere so it can easily be utilized in multiple places (in this case Finder for local computers, and iChat for over the internet)

So is stacks limited to the Dock; or can I have stacks of stuff on the desktop, in a folder, ?

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Nice to see that Leopard will cost less than the upgrade version of Vista Home Premium. I'm really looking forward to that movie theater widget too, I always use Fandango for checking show times. I'm still not too sure about Time Machine. I want something I can trust, that will backup everything, and be capable of restoring what was backed up. 2 out of 3 backups I've done with the backup software you get with .Mac, failed to restore.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
:eek: :( Acconding to the statement .... Leopard is 64 bits, so you need a 64 bit CPU to run it.

However you do not need to upgrade your 32 bit applications, they can be run by Leopard in a 64 bit system (core 2 duo, G5, and above).

No G4, no G3, no Core duo, need apply.

Weird that Apple would not permit 5 Mill users or so to upgrade to Leopard.

This freaking SUCKS! I didn't think that being an early adopter to Intel would result in needing a new computer to run 10.5. You think they would at least offer a 32 bit version. Core Duo's and newer G4's have plenty of power to run this operating system. I have looked all over and have seen that 10.5 is only listed as a 64 bit OS...oh well...it is a good way to sell a lot of new computers.

There's absolutely nothing to fear about.
Just think of Leopard as a four-way Universal binary, not just ppc and intel,
but ppc32, ppc64, intel32, intel64.

In fact Tiger already has the ability; it's only that Apple doesn't ship ppc64/intel64 API for the GUI stuff in Tiger. The announcement today just means they'll ship the Leopard OS in the four-way Universal binary.

Where is your proof on this? All Apple says is that it is a 64 bit OS. They don't even say what computers will be supported.

iamse7en

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Quicklook is definitely the best part... I will want it to integrate with Quicksilver

Not sure what you complainers were expecting... A multitouch mousepad?

Gorgeous iPhone pic. Still getting one... I trust development with the simplicity of software updates.

Attachments

• pictures_08m_20070410.jpg
    pictures_08m_20070410.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 215

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Strangely, I think it might lend itself better to the Finder than iTunes albums. The way you could flip through your PDFs and then use Quick Look to move through the individual pages was superb

Exactly. Cover-flow on a file with photos or PDFs will make life so much easier!

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
This freaking SUCKS! I didn't think that being an early adopter to Intel would result in needing a new computer to run 10.5. You think they would at least offer a 32 bit version. Core Duo's and newer G4's have plenty of power to run this operating system. I have looked all over and have seen that 10.5 is only listed as a 64 bit OS...oh well...it is a good way to sell a lot of new computers.
You are completely mistaken! Leopard will run great on 32bit! Try to read better!
The emphasis is on the 64bit because this is the first time that the same OS can handle 32 and 64 bit on the same binary installation.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop

Well it has been working on a G4 before today, so what makes you think that this new version wont.

happylittlemac

macrumors member
May 30, 2007
Scotland
Nice to see that Leopard will cost less than the upgrade version of Vista Home Premium. I'm really looking forward to that movie theater widget too, I always use Fandango for checking show times. I'm still not too sure about Time Machine. I want something I can trust, that will backup everything, and be capable of restoring what was backed up. 2 out of 3 backups I've done with the backup software you get with .Mac, failed to restore.

Hummm I over here in the UK will be holding my breath to see how much it will cost here, with all the VAT and odd currency conversions that have plagued Vista prices I'm sure that $129 will be £129 over here :eek: :mad:

dialectician

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
new safari fast

i just downloaded the new safari, and it's fast. faster than my firefox, but i'll probably still stick with firefox, since safari doesn't have a sidebar and because it's ad-blocker isn't good enough (doesn't get the embedded ads in the NYTimes website, for example) :confused:

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
England
I love the new interface. I think it is very refreshing and sometime completely new. I think it will give the Mac a huge boost in the PC market, and I think it will make it appeal to far more people.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
32 bit - 64 bit

:eek: :( Acconding to the statement .... Leopard is 64 bits, so you need a 64 bit CPU to run it.

However you do not need to upgrade your 32 bit applications, they can be run by Leopard in a 64 bit system (core 2 duo, G5, and above).

No G4, no G3, no Core duo, need apply.

Weird that Apple would not permit 5 Mill users or so to upgrade to Leopard.

At the current time Tiger has an all 32 bit part & a partial list of 64 bit parts. Panther wll just give a full 32 bit part & a full 64 bit part. In otherwords the same for 32 bit folks & a speed up for those of us that have 64 bit Macs.

Steve Jobs will cut off many Mac Users soon enough, let's not speed it up any. First the PPC support will go away, then the non 64 bit Intel group will go away. There would be too limited of a market for only 64 bit machines at this time.

Bill the TaxMan

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
THAT MENUBAR ****ING SUCKS.

ffs, isn't apple trying to make something better than vista? it seems like they've taken a page from vista's book. keep the same old ****ing os and add new ugly eye candy

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
don't like the stacks and the coverflow at all. files are in alphabetical/date order in nested folders and should be viewed in a list view like the column view in the current finder. that's all just for effects but the human brain needs list views with text, not 3D effects and pictures.

Pop quiz!

I just downloaded this files from my sony camera:

DSC0023.jpg
DSC0024.jpg
DSC0027.jpg
DSC0028.jpg
DSC0029.jpg
DSC0030.jpg
DSC0022.jpg
DSC0025.jpg
DSC0026.jpg

Quick! Which one has my daughter in it? Who do you think will find it first? You, with your alphabetical list here, or someone with coverflow?

Anyone want to bet?

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I love the new interface. It looks very polished and boosts productivity. I am in Love with Leopard!

I think that the new features justify the upgrade cost. Finder, Quick Look and the new Desktop are all great features. Let not forget what we already knew: Time Machine, Spaces (looks amazing btw), Mail, etc

I don't understand the people that complain. I guess they would complain no matter what...

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Hey, there's a new Downloads folder in the dock. Revolutionary!

Just kidding, I like the new features

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You'd both be wrong, you'd first see the photo upon iPhoto import. ;)

iPhoto is a great program, but we're comparing one OS to another here. You can't count applications.

A user with 10.3 and Photoshop can do more than a Tiger user without it. That says nothing about either OS, however.

And more to the point, you can't keep all your images in iPhoto. Yes, I use it for family photos. So, ok, I'd find that one quickly. But what about all those dumb images I save from the internet? I'm not going to mix in goofy photos from Fark with my wife's birthday in iPhoto. Those things stay out in the Finder and it's great to have a better way to preview them.

(Although really this just highlights why iPhoto needs multiple libraries, but that's a whole other issue.)

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
now things i don't like

where's my finder tabs?
the menubar and dock are just god awful ugly to me goes with the column view for stacks they just make me shudder as how much they resemble vista, heck my friend even teased me about buying "OS X Vista"

I'm with you on the tabs. Why WOULDN'T they include this??? Maybe they did and Steve just didn't think it worth demoing. Multiple Finder windows is just really cluttery to me, and adds almost no usefulness (for dragging in tabbed mode, you would just drag to the tab). However, I don't really see anything about stacks that resembles Vista. What is this feature?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Strictly speaking it's an NDA-ed stuff, but it's the part an online ADC member can get :p

Become an online ADC member from http://developer.apple.com/, and download in iTunes the video from WWDC last year !

Ok...well I will take your word on it then. I suppose Jobs is so excited about announcing that it will be 64 bit he just forgot to add the little bit about 32 bit support as well. I was going to say my Core Duo iMac is still way to nice to be throwing in a landfill and I would imagine there are many out there that still feel the same way about their modern 32 bit Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.