Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/general/general/apple_reveals..._nothing

Time machine? :confused:

Eye candy for an endless incremental backup unless there is something ground breaking like ZFS underneath. I have 1TB local in my PowerMac G5. How much storage am I going to need to backup that with time Machine!

What, no new file system? :mad:

Does the lack of announcement mean the file system is still HFS+ ? Or did SJ not mention it because it was "leaked", or is a file system change trivial for Apple to think it is not worth mentioning? In any case a mature OS should have a more robust file system than Tiger which has better directory structure management tools and a defrag tool built in.

You missed the new file system news from before. It's now Sun's ZFS I believe. It was mentioned that they will/are using that infrastructure.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Poor Man's Stacks

I'm pretty unimpressed with the so-called "secret features"... really -- Stacks? Kind of lame if you ask me. It's basically a FOLDER that you click and you can see the contents and select a file... how's that different from what we have now? It's pretty... well, pretty low level for a one of the Top 10 features shown today, if you ask me.

Attachments

• stacks.jpg
    stacks.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 232

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
This freaking SUCKS! I didn't think that being an early adopter to Intel would result in needing a new computer to run 10.5. You think they would at least offer a 32 bit version. Core Duo's and newer G4's have plenty of power to run this operating system. I have looked all over and have seen that 10.5 is only listed as a 64 bit OS...oh well...it is a good way to sell a lot of new computers.

Where is your proof on this? All Apple says is that it is a 64 bit OS. They don't even say what computers will be supported.

No worries mate, I have friends that are Devs and they tell me that the versions prior to today (sandly none of them went to WWDC, so they won't get this latest build) all worked fine on G4,G5, Intel core solo, intel core duo, Intel core 2 duo, and Intel Xeon (none of them tried it on one of the old dev boxes that were like a P4 or PM, nor did they try it on a G3)

I think it's safe to assume that Apple won't be changing the underpinnings enough to break those compatabilities yet. I'd guess you will be good to go for a couple more versions of Mac OS (X, XI,)

I have a Duel G4 machine that has run OS 9, OS 10.1 - 10.4, and I am confident it will see 10.5 before it is retired. (I skipped 10.0 because I waited untilthe free upgrade to 10.1)

aliquis-

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
If that was all: What a lame update. Biggest bla bla yada yada 300+ innovations. I know they count new wallpapers, dashboard items and sounds into that...

Edit: Oh, and how good they had it top secret!! Think about the possibilities if someone know about the dock stack!

inkhead

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
What seems really stupid, is that people who didn't attend the conference can't get the seed? I almost didn't go, but what the heck? When you bought an ADC account the first line on why to buy one says "Get Access to pre-release of OS X, so you can build your apps"

If Steve Jobs is correct about the build only for conference attendees then he seriously screwed over people who spent $500 and $3500. People buy the stupid ADC accounts for Pre-release OS X, and that's IT.

Apple what about disabled developers who can't attend the conference? Are you purposely excluding disabled persons, or screwing over people who paid for access to pre-release builds?

I can't believe a company who charges $3500 for ADC account, skips putting out hardly ANY betas of Leopard, and then when the time comes, tells ADC members, "we screwed you with delays and no builds, now we are really going to screw you by not allowing you access to new builds, that you paid for!"

dvince2

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2007
Canada
"Since the entire operating system is 64-bit ready, you can take full advantage of the Xeon processors in Mac Pro and Xserve"

64 bit ready...not 64 bit only?:rolleyes:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
No, obviously I don't. But things like resolution independence are pretty major features and should, IMHO, be mentioned during the keynote if they are present. iChat updates are pretty irrelevant compared to resolution independence and ZFS.

But resolution independence has already been announced. There's already been much complaining that SJ repeated stuff from last year, that would just be more. It's still listed on apple's site as a feature:

http://developer.apple.com/leopard/overview/

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Torrent

What seems really stupid, is that people who didn't attend the conference can't get the seed? I almost didn't go, but what the heck? When you bought an ADC account the first line on why to buy one says "Get Access to pre-release of OS X, so you can build your apps"

If Steve Jobs is correct about the build only for conference attendees then he seriously screwed over people who spent $500 and $3500. People buy the stupid ADC accounts for Pre-release OS X, and that's IT.

Apple what about disabled developers who can't attend the conference? Are you purposely excluding disabled persons, or screwing over people who paid for access to pre-release builds?

I can't believe a company who charges $3500 for ADC account, skips putting out hardly ANY betas of Leopard, and then when the time comes, tells ADC members, "we screwed you with delays and no builds, now we are really going to screw you by not allowing you access to new builds, that you paid for!"

And that, my friends, is what file sharing is all about :)

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
I'm pretty unimpressed with the so-called "secret features"... really -- Stacks? Kind of lame if you ask me. It's basically a FOLDER that you click and you can see the contents and select a file... how's that different from what we have now? It's pretty... well, pretty low level for a one of the Top 10 features shown today, if you ask me.

This is what Apple does best...make things pretty, work well and integrate well with their hardware. ;)

Safari is relly great so far, even with the tiny improvements so far :D

Retired
May 16, 2006

I've heard its awesome (by someone at WWDC) and it will clear up my desktop, and be a great app launcher for those (not me) who like the mouse. TigerLaunch is OK, but this blows it out of the water.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
"Since the entire operating system is 64-bit ready, you can take full advantage of the Xeon processors in Mac Pro and Xserve"

64 bit ready...not 64 bit only?:rolleyes:

Nope. 64 bit only would mean that 32 bit apps and hardware isn't supported. Best case is that the OS has 100% of code in both 64 bit and 32 bit. That seems to be the case. Way better than Vista/XP where there are two separate builds.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So what about a new version of iLife?

Apple has always shipped iLife and iWork updates with or after major OS updates, and don't make announcements early. If 10.5 ships in October, they'll probably release iLife and iWork then or soon after, and probably just announce them when they ship or just before.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
If that was all: What a lame update. Biggest bla bla yada yada 300+ innovations. I know they count new wallpapers, dashboard items and sounds into that...

Edit: Oh, and how good they had it top secret!! Think about the possibilities if someone know about the dock stack!

There are many things under the hood that will make your computer run faster.

For example NSOperation makes it really easy for developers to take advantage of multiple cores, without having to worry about concurrency.

The result is faster apps.

Adding polish has obviously been a theme in development.

That said, I still think they need to look at the UI, those aqua scroll widgets don't go as well with the unified look than they did with the pin stripes.

mrparet

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2006
I'm not going to put words in your mouths, but I think a lot of us are disappointed at Leopard so far because Tiger was so revolutionary. It brought some amazing new (large) features, namely Dashboard, Spotlight and Automator. With Leopard, it seems like Apple went through Tiger and refined everything they could, while adding some features like Time Machine and Spaces.

This is just me, but Tiger was about bringing some powerful applications to the Mac. Leopard looks like it's going to refine Tiger and add a boat load of smaller features. Remember, there are about 290 features that we don't even know about yet. I'm sure we will be much happier once Leopard ships.

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
that is great news...

Could you try someting like, changing the resolution of your desk?

Thanks

A couple of notes from Moscone WWDC (woohoo!)

Menubar transparency can be turned off

However after trying it out, you never want to, it makes you more focused, and less distracted. I thought it was ugly, then tried it. It's actually very good for productivity.

It's fast.

Stacks are fantastic.

The new finder is absolutely the best part. How many years have we wanted a cocoa finder? It's HERE!!!!! Browsing network shares is no longer met with delays, it's using the fast Unix finally. I can try to mount 10 shares without every seeing a cursor.

Proper multi-threaded support. No more pauses when clicking on the menubar or anything else. Apps keep chugging along.

No more beachball so far.

It's the perfect OS for productivity. No crazy changes, just refinement to the extreme.

It's a beautiful thing!

DVD player has been able to play HD-DVDs for a long time. It has blu-ray and HD-DVD settings in prefs now.

Dock works fine on the sides, 3D but the icons are sideways (proper) with shadow. Looks awesome on the side. I'd post pictures but I'd rather not be in Apple prison.

macklos

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
St. Paul, MN

Yes not all that impressive for long time OS X users that know more than your average/new user. This makes it easier for new users and even easier for long time users.

There may not be some totally new WOW functions but overall IMO Leopard is looking very nice. Much more unified in appearance and function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.