Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
its not impossible that apple makes a cdma which verizon does not cripple... after the cingular contract is up. crazier things have happened... ie: apple switching to intel?

besides, if the iphone does indeed sell well I'm sure that:
1. verizon will want to get in on it and
2. apple will want to get in on verizons userbase

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
I have verizon and hope they eventually get the iphone (although i probably won't be able to afford it) but knowing verizon, it will probably be 5 years until they get it. Almost every carrier had the razr before verizon did.
Cingular always gets the best phones first :(
IMO verizon has the best network, but the worst phones.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Yeah, but only for like a year. If it's only a year until iPhone comes to Verizon, I'll be happy.

MULTI-YEAR EXCLUSIVE. What aren't people understanding about that? It doesn't matter if Apple wants Verizon, or if Verizon wants Apple. Apple has signed a multi-year exclusive deal with Cingular/AT&T. They cannot bail or they will be sued.

Some have said 2009, which would be 2 years. Could be longer.

Verizon might get it, but honestly I doubt it and the world will be a better place if they don't.

Stadsport

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
A CDMA version might come out in SK, and it's possible it can be hacked to all hell to run on Verizon, much like people run amp'd hollywoods on Verizon.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
Hi

Very good point. Verizon enjoys putting their crappy ( slow / unstable ) skin on phone OSs and Apple wouldn't allow that, nor would anyone wanting to purchase the iPhone.

Boy, you Mac folk really are ignorant when it comes to the PDA world! Explains a lot of the strange iPhone comments I see around here; you think entirely in terms of traditional cell phones. Verizon's "skins" on Windows Mobile PDA-phones amount to little more than a brief startup screen, not much more than we can expect from Cingular on the iPhone. Actually, as far as the OS goes, there's more branding in the iPhone screenshots we've seen (the little Cingular logo at the top of the screen) than in the "Today" screen in my 2-year-old WM5 touch-screen PDAphone from Verizon (that is to say, there is no branding whatsoever, nor a custom skin).

Like the iPod before it, iPhone is hardly a revolutionary or new idea -- it's just Apple's more stylish entry in an existing field of devices known as PDA Phones (*not* smartphones), that has been around for 3 or 4 years now. If you're going to make comparisons, make comparisons to the other devices in this class, not a RAZr or whatever you're thinking of!

mrthieme

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
I think he means how VZW cripples their phones. They disable 90% of the features on the Razr, which gets me mad too. (I have a V3m)

VZW + :apple: =:mad:

(Sorry, have been looking for an excuse to use :apple: all day)
Amen! I'm in the same situation. I know Verizon does seem to have a reliable system, I just won't support a company like this with my money any more. My contract expires in May and iphone arrives in June, it's like the perfect storm. I hope AT T offers some decent plans for it, but I'm having serious doubts.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
It really is too bad iPhone is Cingular only, but I guess Apple had to do it. My family and most of my friends are on Verizon, so it would not be practical to switch. Also, Verizon seems to get better service in my area (Cincinnati), atleast comparing my phone to my friend on Cingular.

Also, Verizons UI is not bad. I had been waiting to upgrade phones until after the iPhone came out, so once I knew I wouldn't be getting it, I went for the Moto KRZR. I have no complaints about the UI... It's simple enough to navigate on the phone.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
MULTI-YEAR EXCLUSIVE. What aren't people understanding about that?

First of all, you missed my point - I wasn't saying the iPhone would be out in a year. I was saying that the Razr was, so it wasn't necessarily a fair comparison. In other words, I'd be pleasantly surprised to see it on Verizon in a year.

As for your certainty about this MULTI-YEAR EXCLUSIVE, is it because of this...?

Apple's Official Press Release said:
Apple® and Cingular announced that Cingular, the largest wireless carrier in the US, will be Apple’s exclusive US carrier partner for Apple’s revolutionary iPhone unveiled today. As part of this multi-year partnership, Apple and Cingular are working together to provide innovative new features to mobile phone users, such as iPhone’s pioneering and unique Visual Voicemail, a first on any mobile phone in the world.

I've seen enough misleading press releases about exclusives in my time to know that the above does not explicitly state the length of the exclusivity of the agreement. It does indeed say it's exclusive and it does indeed say it's a multi-year partnership, but that doesn't mean it's a multi-year exclusive. That's basic logic. These things are worded carefully and I'm fairly certain that the word partnership would not have been used if it was an explicit multi-year exclusive. If you have another official source, please do tell.

flysandy

macrumors member
May 8, 2007
Real reason why no VZ + Apple

I know this is an older topic, but I still get questions all the time so....

Many VZ employees are anxious to see the iPhone with Verizon Wireless (self included - I am a BIG Mac fan), but it isn't an issue of the UI or even the GSM vs. CDMA differences. Early Mac rumors indicated the Mac was developing the phone for both platforms and I am inclined to believe it's true. VZ had major issues with the fact that Apple wanted a portion of the monthly revenue (on top of the cost of the phone). That and other "unspecified" demands from apple ultimately caused VZ turn down the option to be the exclusive carrier. Perhaps the other demands were UI related, but some VZ phones don't use the UI so I don't think that was the issue - I think it was all financial and ego on both parties. USA today reported this fact as well (the financial stuff anyway).

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2007-01-28-verizon-iphone_x.htm

Anyway that's the story from inside the company and out...I sure hope they can come to an agreement before too long (2009?). I stand behind VZ service, not because I work for the broadband side of the same company ...but because I do believe it's the best network. I dropped the local phone service because I had better options, and I wouldn't hesitate to do the same w/ cell service. I sooooo want an iPhone...but I've known too many people w/ issues w/ Cingular coverage.

yayaba

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
I'm with Cingular now... I switched over last November even before the iPhone was announced because I was sick and tired of VZW's phones. (namely, I wanted to get a Sony Ericsson K790a :))

In my 6+ months with Cingular, I can definitely say VZW's call quality is better. I talk to my girlfriend all the time on the phone and when I had Verizon, I could hear her perfectly fine but now with Cingular, a lot of times I have to ask, "huh? what? can you say that again?". It's not terrible but it is slightly annoying.

If I had an opportunity to go back to Verizon though, I'd probably just stick with Cingular. I like being able to use whatever phone I want.

okolo

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2007
Georgia
I have verizon and hope they eventually get the iphone (although i probably won't be able to afford it) but knowing verizon, it will probably be 5 years until they get it. Almost every carrier had the razr before verizon did.
Cingular always gets the best phones first :(
IMO verizon has the best network, but the worst phones.

You've hit the nail on the head, its not just your opinion. Its a fact

iMichael72

macrumors regular
May 19, 2007
Maryland, U.S.A
same here. i'm in the Washington, D.C. area.

why not get a new phone instead of switching providers? Verizon sells other phones besides the RAZR. i just picked up a Samsung that's not loaded with features but it works as a phone, which is pretty much all i need it for.

I'm in the D.C. area myself. I never would have made the switch from Verizon, but I had to have the Treo 650 which Verizon didn't have at the time.

I was pretty happy with Verizon.

Now Sprint(which lead me to Cingular/AT&T), that's another story!

roegmann

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2007
UNLOCK iPHONE?

In Southern California, Verizon is King. My work (scores of field bound employees) dropped Cingular because of dropped calls and poor coverage, especially in the rural areas. Verizon, while not user friendly, is network friendly here.

Phones have been unlocked for use on other networks. Will iPhones be able to be unlocked or will that be considered a breach and/or illegal?

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
In Southern California, Verizon is King. My work (scores of field bound employees) dropped Cingular because of dropped calls and poor coverage, especially in the rural areas. Verizon, while not user friendly, is network friendly here.

Phones have been unlocked for use on other networks. Will iPhones be able to be unlocked or will that be considered a breach and/or illegal?

even if it could be unlocked it won't work on Verizon, they're 2 totally different technologies. Verizon is CDMA, the iPhone is GSM. i'm guessing there will never be a North American CDMA iPhone ever.

ps49556n

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Sure, there may be an iPhone available through Verizon after Apple's deal with Cingular times out, but Verizon's version will be called the "iPhon" because they'll have crippled out half of the features.

LOL.... DOnt hold your breath for any innovative products from Verizon. I have had Verizon for around 6 years and have always been extremely frustrated with the boring feature-less flip phones. Their business model for the consumer wireless segment is focusing on deployment if its VZNavigator service (GPS; free on cingular), and Vcast. Vcast BTW is IMO a pathetic attempt at bringing media to a mobile device. Verizon customers are with Verizon for one reason only; the customer service and the network coverage. These are important features but I think in the upcomming years, consumers will be focused more on phone features rather than service.

Besides my rant about Verizon, Apple and ATT have a 5-year exclusive contract so the earliest would be 2011-2012. I really dont understand why people make such a big deal over switch to ATT?? THe only matter I can see that is legitimate is not wanting to pay an early-termination fee.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
I really dont understand why people make such a big deal over switch to ATT?? THe only matter I can see that is legitimate is not wanting to pay an early-termination fee.

How about the fact that AT&T service stinks in many people's home areas? I can't get a signal from AT&T at my home and I'm all cellular - no home phone for years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.