Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
I am currently on an 14 Inch iBook G4 1.33GHz / 768 RAM / Radeon 9200 32MB.

Its been my favorite machine for along time, just because of its portability.

How much better is this New MBP 15'' 2.4GHz C2D / 4GB Ram / 8600 256 / 160 7200rpm going to be? lol I know its a no brainer that it will be faster, but will it be "That much faster"

Also, Will I notice a difference in the Displays? I dont know the specs of the old 14inch iBook Display, or how good/bad it is. Big noticable difference?

Thanks all :D

Now only 4-6 week wait (Stupid 7200 rpm) ;)

thegrandmaster

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
Valhalla!
I'm almost in the same boat as you!

My Mac laptop has been a 1.42GHZ iBook G4 and I'm gonna upgrade to a new MBP in a couple weeks time.

From what I've read the new MBP runs rings around every Apple portable ever, with only the C2D MBP coming close.

We should be in for quite a treat my friend. :D

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I'm almost in the same boat as you!

My Mac laptop has been a 1.42GHZ iBook G4 and I'm gonna upgrade to a new MBP in a couple weeks time.

From what I've read the new MBP runs rings around every Apple portable ever, with only the C2D MBP coming close.

We should be in for quite a treat my friend. :D

lol Well, I'm in for even more of a treat. 933 MHz iBook G4 :(

keenkreations

macrumors regular
May 20, 2005
Yeah, I had a 1Ghz iBook a few years ago. I remember upgrading the RAM and the hard drive, because the 20GB was horribly small at the time. What I don't miss is the fact trying to put in a new hard drive in the iBook was a complete pain in the butt. I upgraded to a new MPB and you would notice the difference, IMMENSELY. Trust me. I used my old iBook once and I could not stand it for more than a few minutes. Just my 2 cents.

kinetik

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2007
I have an iBook G4 12" and got the santa rosa MBP on Tuesday... you'll absolutely notice a huge difference. The screen alone is worlds apart; when I first turned it on I audibly said "woah," wasn't expecting a screen that sharp/bright. The instant-brightness is a very cool thing, I always felt with the iBook that my eyes were going smudgy/foggy on me, but that was just because of the slow LCD warmup time.

And obviously going from a G4 to Intel chip opens up the world of Windows (and other OS's) to you on the same machine, allowing for consolidation if you still need to use/have a PC. Some might say this is a bad thing, but probably most of us make our living working with PCs in some form/fashion. For this reason alone, it's like getting two machines for the cost of one.

OSX in general is pretty good about giving a consistent experience between newer/older hardware, so you may not notice a huge difference in the usual stuff (email/web surfing), but anytime you need some extra horsepower (gaming, working with photos, audio/video), it'll be there for you.

Oh, and the lighted keyboard is absolutely fantastic. Its way cooler than I thought it would be. :)

pdra05

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Melbourne City, VIC, Australia
Wow.. Same here.. :) I currently have the iBook G4 1.07GHz, with only 40GB of hard disk space and 768MB of RAM.. And it's a torture when it comes to intense photoshopping! I've been using the iBook almost everyday for the past 3 years so I guess it's time for an upgrade.

Waiting for my spanking new Santa Rosa MBP (2.4GHz) to arrive! I hope it does in the next fortnight. It's gonna take a little longer b/c I'm going for the glossy display. In the meanwhile I guess I'm just gonna have to sit back and be patient. The speed difference is gonna change my life completely!!! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.