Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Since the "new tab" button requires a hack, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work on Safari 3. It'll likely take a little while for developers to figure out a way to do it again.

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
I know you can use ":apple: + click or T" to open up a new tab. But is there a way to just click a link and have it open in a new tab? for instance if there was a link in here like http://www.randomlink.com, and I clicked it, it would open in a new tab. can it do that?

wizwaz3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Northern Arizona
I never actually had to "hack" anything. I just remember being able to put it on the toolbar, but I can't figure out how to now...

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
I know you can use ":apple: + click or T" to open up a new tab. But is there a way to just click a link and have it open in a new tab? for instance if there was a link in here like http://www.randomlink.com, and I clicked it, it would open in a new tab. can it do that?

If you have a Mighty Mouse and the scroll ball is set to "Button 3" in the Keyboard and Mouse preferences you can click the scroll ball on a link and it will automatically open the link in a new tab. Works great!!

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I never actually had to "hack" anything. I just remember being able to put it on the toolbar, but I can't figure out how to now...

Safari Stand and a separate hack simply called Safari Buttons were the only ways to get a tab button in Safari 3, as far as I know. Stand also allows 'single window mode' so links always open in new tabs.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Safari Stand and a separate hack simply called Safari Buttons were the only ways to get a tab button in Safari 3, as far as I know. Stand also allows 'single window mode' so links always open in new tabs.

i thought safari stand will not work in safari 3 yet?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yes, the only simple way to add a "New Tab" button to Safari was to use a third-party hacking app like SafariButtons or Ollie's Tabs, both of which are tough to find these days (last time I checked). Generally these apps remapped either the bug report button or the increase/decrease font size buttons.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
I just suggest draggin your finger to :apple: key and holding it. Or get a mouse like the MM and set the third button to do that.

Downloading Camino/Firefox does this as well.

Crispy Duck

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Manchester, UK
Safari Enhancer

A little utility called Safari Enhancer also added a New Tab button, it's stopped working with Safari 3, hopefully it will be updated soon. You can also change the Google Search bar to regional ones like Google UK etc. Very useful.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
A little utility called Safari Enhancer also added a New Tab button, it's stopped working with Safari 3, hopefully it will be updated soon. You can also change the Google Search bar to regional ones like Google UK etc. Very useful.

Unfortunately, probably not. The developer has stated in his forums that he will not continue updating and developing Safari Enhancer anymore due to personal reasons / life.

I do hope that Apple will finally implement this feature. All the other browsers have it, why not Apple.

I really like and prefer Safari. But, why must we sacrifice something so simple that really should be built-in.

I have submitted my request to Apple for them to implement the feature in upcoming releases. Hopefully they'll comply and activate this simple little button for us.

If you want to request it yourself, go ahead. I would encourage everyone to request this feature (and any other feature you would like). If enough people request a given feature, then maybe Apple will see that it is worth their time to add it.

You can request features and changes on Apple's website at:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

There is not a direct button to suggest improvements to Safari. Instead, choose to give feedback on OS X. Then, in the box for "Feedback Area" choose "Internet/Web"

For "Feedback Type", I chose design / ease of use. But, efficiency/workflow would probably be suitable from a certain perspective. It's most likely suited to design / ease of use though.

Anyway, I encourage everyone to give feedback and suggest features for anything you would like. I drop by there an request features or changes to computers, OS X, and anything else whenever something I'm doing doesn't seem to be handled right, or if I see a lack in what I'm using.

merc669

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
Why not just go to "View" + Customize Toolbar and then Drag the New Tab Button to your Toolbar...No hacks needed.....

Bill.....:D

P.S. Works both in Safari 2 and 3!

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Why not just go to "View" + Customize Toolbar and then Drag the New Tab Button to your Toolbar...No hacks needed.....

Bill.....:D

P.S. Works both in Safari 2 and 3!

You must be joking :cool:

There is no such button in the customize toolbar screen (unless you've already installed a hack).

iCe Cube

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2005
Near Glasgow, Scotland
I just suggest draggin your finger to :apple: key and holding it. Or get a mouse like the MM and set the third button to do that.

Downloading Camino/Firefox does this as well.

I think its pretty damn lazy on Apple's part to not even have a 'new tab' button. Apple + T is not a good enough substitute in my opinion.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I think its pretty damn lazy on Apple's part to not even have a 'new tab' button. Apple + T is not a good enough substitute in my opinion.

I'd have to agree there. Especially since I can't think of another web browser that supports tabbed browsing and doesn't offer a new tab button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.