Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

World Traveler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Hey...anyone think Apple will upgrade security on individual iPhones and add a thumb print scan as a "user password" or "unlock" key? That would be really sweet for a developer to implement.

NJDevils44

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2006
that would be dope, but i belive it's not something that you can develop, it doens't contain the necessary hardware to scan a fingerprint...correct me if i am wrong

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
You need a special scanner like what is found on some laptops and PDA's. The iPhone does not have the scanner. Apple probably figured the amount of space and cost it would add on was not worth it.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
Or how about Apple put a camera on the front of the phone for face recognition. (As well as video calls.) That would be much more feasible.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I wonder if there's a way to pervert the camera on the iPhone to do it? Probably you can't get enough clarity at a short focal length with it. :( It'd be neat if you could do that and/or have something like delicious library on the iPhone! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.